Official: Oakland Athletics 2014 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Official: Oakland Athletics 2014 Thread

So, Parker won't be around, AJ Griffin will miss the season start, and Cespedes is swinging at the air in spring training.

After back-to-back division titles, there are some high expectations this season. Underdogs no more, they will have a target on their back this year.

Pitching: Even though the starting rotation took a massive hit losing Parker and waiting on AJ to return, the A's seem to find a way in past seasons. I think they can still manage to get by with Chavez and Kazmir stepping up their roles. And with arguably the best bullpen in baseball, they have a safety net if they can't eat up a lot of innings.

Offense: The hitting has always been hot and cold with this team, but with Melvin's platoon method, it just seems to work itself out. I'm hoping for Cespedes to have a real breakout year and that Reddick can bounce back from last year's slump.

Defense: The infield does make a few more crucial errors than expected, but overall still solid. Would like to see Jaso and Norris improve on throws to second. Last season they were both off target a lot of times and extended a few innings. JD has gold glove potential, and the rest of the infield is pretty reliable.

Name:  tumblr_mld2v3tmIJ1qd3dypo1_500.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  112.5 KB

What say you A's fans?

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 03-22-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I'm scared...

Start of cactus league I was juiced. But now I'm scared.

I think losing Parker is going to really hurt us. And our bats can very inconsistent. Not enough to win 2-3 games and then we hit double digit runs in 1 game.

In the the end its the batting that has to improve. We can't let other teams aces keep us from scoring.

So I'm hopeful, but scared.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Sonny and Kazmir look like they have the stuff to carry this team. If those two can keep it up, the back of the rotation doesn't have as much pressure to improve.

Chili Davis needs to figure out how to keep this offense from being bi-polar. One day they're helpless, the next day they're on fire. Donaldson and Lowrie seem to be the only reliable bats in the lineup.

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 04-02-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
Even though we lost Parker, I still have faith that our pitching with come through for us. Cespedes needs a break out season and I believe this will be his year. Other than that we just need to pick up those W's and stay healthy. LETS GO OAKLAND!!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Old School

Johnson though...

Ugh....
Old 04-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I still think they should have paid Balfour.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Johnson though...

Ugh....
Painful to watch. Might as well have put David Lee out there on the mound. He wasn't too busy.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 PM

In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance, you haven't. The A's have managed to win a few ball games.

Starting pitching is throwing better than anyone could have hoped for. These guys are lights out so far.

Going to my first Astros game this Friday.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance, you haven't. The A's have managed to win a few ball games.

Starting pitching is throwing better than anyone could have hoped for. These guys are lights out so far.

Going to my first Astros game this Friday.
Yep. Somehow, we find a way. Really shocked our depth is this good. Its still early but guys stepping is encouraging.

Cespedes rocked one yesterday. Loving that. Jaso's homer had even more heat on it.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Can you imagine if JJ didn't blow those two saves? We'd be 11-2.

The A's are doing crazy good so far. And yet still get no respect from anyone but their fans......
Old 04-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 2007 wrx wagon
best era in baseball. best record in american league. espn has them at 8 in power rankings with the giants right behind them. they get no love from anyone ever.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 AM

That was a battle. I can't believe he left in Doolittle to face Trout. He makes a living on crushing fastballs. Anyone else in the bullpen would have been better off on the mound.

Oh well, they found a way to win regardless.

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 04-16-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Stoked for this season... We have an awesome bullpen but like you guys said.. Bipolar hitters.... But we still win haha. No love for us regardless...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CBSubie
Stoked for this season... We have an awesome bullpen but like you guys said.. Bipolar hitters.... But we still win haha. No love for us regardless...
It's not all bad

MLB Power Rankings: Doubt the Oakland A's at your own peril - MLB - CBSSports.com

But better to go unnoticed than have a big fat target on your back. During the season, it's always a different hero that helps them win, but in the post season, they can't seem to find that hero. Someone's got to step up under spotlight, I don't care who it is.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
It's not all bad

MLB Power Rankings: Doubt the Oakland A's at your own peril - MLB - CBSSports.com

But better to go unnoticed than have a big fat target on your back. During the season, it's always a different hero that helps them win, but in the post season, they can't seem to find that hero. Someone's got to step up under spotlight, I don't care who it is.
Absolutely!

Quick Reply: Official: Oakland Athletics 2014 Thread