The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
everyone else I've told about it has said it's "horrid." I guess it just takes a real beer enthusiast to appreciate it!
Haha.. Or, maybe it's matter of opinion? Hmmm.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Haha.. Or, maybe it's matter of opinion? Hmmm.
psh, no.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
anyone try OB Beer? its a korean beer. when i went to korea i had it and it has to be one of my favorites. i mostly only see it at korean restaurants

it goes down very smooth and has a good hint of beer taste without the watered down taste
Old 03-27-2009, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Just left the Stone Brewery. Will post a picture of what I'm driving way with after the weekend
Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 PM
VIP Member

Ok, so here was Saturday night's drink.... 64 oz black and tan

Name:  DSC01757.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  76.4 KB
it was kind of hard to keep that much beer from mixing though

Here is what I left the Stone Brewery with...
Name:  DSC01762.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  67.5 KB
TWO LITERS of their IPA (not the 9.6% Ruination IPA, as that wasn't on tap at the time).

Also while in SoCal we went to the Yard House which has the largest selection of beers on tap (supposedly). I ordered the Stone Ruination IPA, the waitress asked if I wanted 16 oz or 32 oz, so of course I said 32. She came back and went "They wont do the Ruination in a 32 oz because it's too strong." I guess they aren't used to people that can handle their beer
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Oh, and I suggest anyone that goes down to SoCal to go to the Stone brewery. We didn't get there in time for a tour, but we had lunch in the "Stone" garden (which is absolutely gorgeous) and the food was awesome! I had mac & beer cheese with sausage.....mmmmmm.

We got to the building and knew we were there because even from in the car, all we could smell was beer
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
08.11.84 - 02.14.10

Car Info: a center diff that is going...
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
i just had the bigfoot tonight. boy is that a nice and tasty beer. nice bittersweetness to it. also, it did kick my ***!!! 9.6% FTW!
everyone else I've told about it has said it's "horrid." I guess it just takes a real beer enthusiast to appreciate it!
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
i love that hoppy, barley taste to beers. i don't really like a beer that goes down like water. i want some kick in the taste, and this Bigfoot does have a nice kick. definitely not a beer to be gulping down.
I finished my 6 pack of bigfoot last night. It was pretty tastey. I like the bite that it has. I would say it was one of sierra's better beers. There was another at safeway that I have yet to try. I am gonna go back there today to see what else they have.

I also have a 12 pack of Sam Adams White Ale, I am looking forward to that tonight. This day will not go back quick enough for me to get home and enjoy a nice cold beer.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM

It's time to refill my fridge. I've been doing Kona Pipeline/fire rock lately. Also some Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

Since it's been getting warming, I'm looking for a nice hefe and/or pale ale. I'd say not too hardcore/hoppy though.

Any ideas suggestions?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JOEBOBBUCKET
I finished my 6 pack of bigfoot last night. It was pretty tastey. I like the bite that it has. I would say it was one of sierra's better beers. There was another at safeway that I have yet to try. I am gonna go back there today to see what else they have.

I also have a 12 pack of Sam Adams White Ale, I am looking forward to that tonight. This day will not go back quick enough for me to get home and enjoy a nice cold beer.
Dude, just throw the rats in all at once and get it done with. Leave the cleanup for someone else.

Originally Posted by Akira-R
It's time to refill my fridge. I've been doing Kona Pipeline/fire rock lately. Also some Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

Since it's been getting warming, I'm looking for a nice hefe and/or pale ale. I'd say not too hardcore/hoppy though.

Any ideas suggestions?
Hmm, I'll try to think of some good ones for you. If any of your local liquor or grocery stores have it, try the Stone Pale Ale. It's not too hoppy.

So my friends and I want to start brewing. One of them (OK PANIC) wants to make a really good pilsner and call it "The Smart Blond" because, like a smart blond, the taste is just unbelievable
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
My buddy came over and helped me bottle my ale today - got 23 22 oz bottles of a very hoppy pale ale. I get to taste it carbonated on 4.5.09. We tasted some of the leftover and daaaaaaaaaaaaamn it 's gonna be good IMHO. Reminds me of that Sierra Harvest stuff though I would never begin to compare my beermaking to Sierra!!!

I picked up a bottle of Imperial Raccoon Red whilst at RockBottom yesterday filling 3x growlers. I drank a whole growler of the Pale it's so good... Suffering today. MMmmmmMMmmmMmmmMmm beeeeeer.
nice! what do I have to do to sample that??
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB wagon / 2006 Red Toyota Tacoma
Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
anyone try OB Beer? its a korean beer. when i went to korea i had it and it has to be one of my favorites. i mostly only see it at korean restaurants

it goes down very smooth and has a good hint of beer taste without the watered down taste
I get that beer at 99 Chicken in Santa Clara all the time. yeah Korean restaurants serve it. 1.6 liters, it's a cheap buzz
Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
VIP Member

what's the brew shop in SF? I want to check that place out and get some info next time I'm up there
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM
VIP Member

Nevermind, I used the search function
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
nice! what do I have to do to sample that??
The racoon or my beer? The racoon is looong gone, but mine - I am sure I will be bringing some up to SF at some point, if it's not ***-tastic I will save you a bottle. Can't wait to make some more. I would like to set aside a brew day and work up another ale (English style but all Cascade hops) and a wheat.

what's the brew shop in SF? I want to check that place out and get some info next time I'm up there
SF Brewcraft. It's also worth the trip to visit MoreBeer on San Antonio Rd in Los Altos. Pretty much right next to Armadillo *****'s.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM
VIP Member

BTW - funny you mention about the scary owls, I am drinking this tonight:

Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread