The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:00 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Overbear
Yep, or you can report them and they get hit with a HUGE fine.
Originally Posted by subie OCD
So when do they start comparing data from the original map that's supposed to be on your car, to what's actually on the car?
No idea and I doubt they'll divulge that information.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Yea, we've had reminders and bulletins in the smog machine for a while now. If a shop doesn't purchase the new dad unit, they can't smog those vehicles you listed.

The bar sees every smog you do and will be able to tell if a shop is doing them improperly.
Can't really tell if a tech isn't doing the visual properly, right?

So when do they start comparing data from the original map that's supposed to be on your car, to what's actually on the car?
No idea and I doubt they'll divulge that information.
Something tells me they won't or can't do this... the MY2002 WRX has SIX different maps alone. Across the GD platform it's like nearly 15-16 roms alone.

Think of all the MY2000 and newer cars, and how many ROMS they would have to store and compare against. I'm sure it's easy for data to be off a little bit in transit here and there, and have false checks on the ROMs. Simply seems like way more data than they would want to be managing.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Can't really tell if a tech isn't doing the visual properly, right?

No they can't. That's where undercover cars come in. They send them out to stations regularly and if you miss their disconnected egr, missing pcv, cut evap canister, etc, you get dinged with a $2000 fine + classes + loss of star status.

There's also another way they know as well. Say a 2006 wrx comes in and its got a smog pump delete. The tech writes Not Applicable on the visual for Air Injection and passes the car. He's thrown up a red flag that's going to earn him a bunch of undercover visits.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 03-03-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
There's also another way they know as well. Say a 2006 wrx comes in and its got a smog pump delete. The tech writes Not Applicable on the visual for Air Injection and passes the car. He's thrown up a red flag that's going to earn him a bunch of undercover visits.
Is this an undercover wrx? What is the tech supposed to write? Pump serial number?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
So this is why you don't remove the smog pump. You leave it in place, put the LIC plates in, and no one, even a ref, can tell
Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
My swapped Impreza will be up soon for this. MY2002 engine in a 1999 car. Really hope its he ECU only test.

Anyone got this done already? Anyone with a reflashed ECU pass?
Same setup as you, I passed every single time after going to the ref (first time was stock ecu/everything) with a Cobb Protune.

However, I came close to failing a couple times with my old hi-flow cat dp so after that I've been switching ONLY the dp back to stock and leave everything else alone.

Even though my ref label shows I have an 02 motor they've still been smogging my car like a 99, so I've been subject to the OBD2 check AND sniffer test.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
smogged in Jan

passed via OBDII

Tech asked why so many flashes.

Told him turbo replacement.

BAR'd 01 with 06 STI swap
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Well I had a sniffer test this year (Feb). Probably the last two years of my car being registered in CA anyways.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
Same setup as you, I passed every single time after going to the ref (first time was stock ecu/everything) with a Cobb Protune.

However, I came close to failing a couple times with my old hi-flow cat dp so after that I've been switching ONLY the dp back to stock and leave everything else alone.

Even though my ref label shows I have an 02 motor they've still been smogging my car like a 99, so I've been subject to the OBD2 check AND sniffer test.
This is what I didn't want to happen, since I'll have to swap the DP. Still not the end of the world, and I know I'll pass the sniffer without issue.

Would be nice to have the homie smog guy just do the ECU check and call it a day, but if they are going to SMOG a 1999 car with 2002 emissions equipment, well, what's the point in even having a BAR inspection for swaps?!?!

You could just do whatever FI you want so long as you never threw a code, and had some cats, they'd just smog it as a 1999 car with the sniffer.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Old School

No they can't. That's where undercover cars come in. They send them out to stations regularly and if you miss their disconnected egr, missing pcv, cut evap canister, etc, you get dinged with a $2000 fine + classes + loss of star status.

I know this guy, I call him bhai... He won't look, as long as I pass the sniffer. He knows I'm not undercover. LOL
Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM

Is this an undercover wrx? What is the tech supposed to write? Pump serial number?
It was an example I pulled out of my ***. The tech is supposed to fail it for visual. What I was getting at is this. If a car has an air pump, it also has a monitor that gets checked in the functional part of the test. If you eff up on the visual part and write the wrong thing, you're throwing up red flags.

I know this guy, I call him bhai... He won't look, as long as I pass the sniffer. He knows I'm not undercover. LOL

Last edited by FXTbrah; 03-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
smogged in Jan

passed via OBDII

Tech asked why so many flashes.

Told him turbo replacement.

BAR'd 01 with 06 STI swap
Okay... since your car is a 2001, you get the ECU check.

And he noticed the ROMs huh?!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Old 03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Old School

I've heard that E85 cars can pass no cats... anyone seen this?

I suppose it's possible since Ethanol pretty much reduces the HydroCarbons to zero, and it's clean vs NOx, and CO2 as well.

But man... Not sure if I'm ballsy enough to try it. Soooooooooo want to though.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Okay... since your car is a 2001, you get the ECU check.

And he noticed the ROMs huh?!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Tech just asked why so many rewrites. Told him OEM replacement turbo chargers are getting harder to find so I upgraded to a newer year.

ECU check only.

They did a visual. Ran the car no sniffer. Was in and out in 5 minutes.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM

I've heard that E85 cars can pass no cats... anyone seen this?

I suppose it's possible since Ethanol pretty much reduces the HydroCarbons to zero, and it's clean vs NOx, and CO2 as well.

But man... Not sure if I'm ballsy enough to try it. Soooooooooo want to though.

Run a pre test.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread