The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:10 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Tech just asked why so many rewrites. Told him OEM replacement turbo chargers are getting harder to find so I upgraded to a newer year.

ECU check only.

They did a visual. Ran the car no sniffer. Was in and out in 5 minutes.
How does the tech know how many times an ecu has been flashed? We don't have any equipment for those checks.. Sounds fishy as ***.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
if they are going to SMOG a 1999 car with 2002 emissions equipment, well, what's the point in even having a BAR inspection for swaps?!?!
That's what I've never understood, why they don't treat my car like its an 02 wrx.

So ya I agree, don't get why I even bothered going in getting the BAR sticker when it doesn't look like its made any difference.

For the record I've also never had a smog tech even try to look for a BAR sticker when I bring my car in.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
For the record I've also never had a smog tech even try to look for a BAR sticker when I bring my car in.
Weird that's the first thing I look at when dealing with a bar stickered car. Makes the smog a lot easier to do.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
04 wrx with cobb apv2 "stg1" protune - semibuilt 2.0 with catless up, stock dp and straight pipe cbe, aftermarket ic hoses, boost controller, turbo timer

Scanned the ecu, No sniffer, passed no issues. He even saw my accessport in the glove box
Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Weird that's the first thing I look at when dealing with a bar stickered car. Makes the smog a lot easier to do.
Where do you work again?! LOL

Paji, Mere Ghadi Karla...
Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Where do you work again?! LOL

Paji, Mere Ghadi Karla...
I'll tell you in person if I ever make it out to a BAM. I'm in the process of starting my own shop currently.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Car Info: '05 Saab 92x Aero
Question for someone who knows this more than I do...
Does this mean that theoretically if your downpipe looked stock enough to pass visual, even if it were catless, that you could roll in and pass this new test if the stage 2 flash doesn’t throw any codes and shows that all systems are good? I wouldn’t be dumb enough to roll into a smog check station with a catless downpipe but just asking out of curiosity.

I had my car smogged last March before going stage 2 and had everything stock except for a CBE and passed with flying colors of course. The smog check shop I took it to just did the 2 speed sniffer test and visual.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Saabaru916
Does this mean that theoretically if your downpipe looked stock enough to pass visual, even if it were catless, that you could roll in and pass this new test if the stage 2 flash doesn’t throw any codes and shows that all systems are good? I wouldn’t be dumb enough to roll into a smog check station with a catless downpipe but just asking out of curiosity.

I had my car smogged last March before going stage 2 and had everything stock except for a CBE and passed with flying colors of course. The smog check shop I took it to just did the 2 speed sniffer test and visual.
Theoretically speaking, you should pass with a gutted stock downpipe because there is no way for the tech to see inside your dp.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I'll tell you in person if I ever make it out to a BAM. I'm in the process of starting my own shop currently.
Potential BAM sponsor?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by Saabaru916

Well, I'm going to give it a shot...
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Catless or Catted DP?! I'd love to not have to change a thing and just get smogged...

I think that it's clear it's okay.
I had the dual catted perrin on because i thought they were going to do the sniffer test. would be interested to see if they would have overlooked the catless DP. If you have heat shields on a catless DP to give it that OEM look (wink wink) You will have far better chances. It really comes down to the tech. i had one who questioned the perrin Dual cat and when i said its an SPT factory upgrade he verified two cats and was cool with it. (helps the perrin logo was removed).
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Old School

Sounds good, though, PMs work too.

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Potential BAM sponsor?
Let him get on his feet first, sheesh.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
I had the dual catted perrin on because i thought they were going to do the sniffer test. would be interested to see if they would have overlooked the catless DP. If you have heat shields on a catless DP to give it that OEM look (wink wink) You will have far better chances. It really comes down to the tech. i had one who questioned the perrin Dual cat and when i said its an SPT factory upgrade he verified two cats and was cool with it. (helps the perrin logo was removed).
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Great thing about E85 is it doesn't stink like 91. It's so damn clean I forget I'm even catless.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Well, I'm going to give it a shot...
Hopefully if they don't like what they see they will just ask you to come back after you swap to a catted unit and not flag your car or some crap in their system.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Hopefully if they don't like what they see they will just ask you to come back after you swap to a catted unit and not flag your car or some crap in their system.
Nah, I know the guy. I'm just going to roll up there and talk to him first. If he's not cool with it then I'll swap the DP out.

Quick Reply: The Official AB2289 CA SMOG MY2000+ Thread