Noise when applying brakes

Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
Ya i was thinking that...I've had the car for 3 yrs and am deciding its due time to get new rotors and pads anyway. The previously owner had it for 29K miles, Im at 47K and 7 yrs old on the same pads and rotors
Yeah that's crazy talk. Even if you drive like a grandma you're probably due at least for some lube and fluid. Pads while you're there. Rotors might just need to be cleaned up, turned. Those stock brembos are beefy and if you don't drive hard (heat cycle them) they do really well.

My car is an 04 and I'm due for new rotors. I've got way more miles but I've had a few sets of rotors and pads on my car and I the fluid gets changed like once a year. I'm due actually... but I'm trying to change the whole set up.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah that's crazy talk. Even if you drive like a grandma you're probably due at least for some lube and fluid. Pads while you're there. Rotors might just need to be cleaned up, turned. Those stock brembos are beefy and if you don't drive hard (heat cycle them) they do really well.

My car is an 04 and I'm due for new rotors. I've got way more miles but I've had a few sets of rotors and pads on my car and I the fluid gets changed like once a year. I'm due actually... but I'm trying to change the whole set up.
Good Advice, I just checked them out with a co-worker hes a gear head more than me..lol..he mentioned I got dirt and grime built up and looks like im due for rotors and pads cause he sees grooves in the rotors that are cutting up. So all in all..looks like a brake job should cure it.

Advice on getting rotors and pads, or a brake set from rallysport?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM
General Pimpin'

If you're doing it yourself there are tons of vendors to go through. I think GST is doing a brake special right now. I had them do one of mine. Very reasonable. Did all 4 corners. Pads. Lines. Fluid. Rotors.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
If you're doing it yourself there are tons of vendors to go through. I think GST is doing a brake special right now. I had them do one of mine. Very reasonable. Did all 4 corners. Pads. Lines. Fluid. Rotors.
Thanks..Calling Mike now..thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Advice on getting rotors and pads, or a brake set from rallysport?
For a daily driver, I love my StopTech Street Performance pads. Really don't like my Hawk HPS pads. If you want blank rotors, Centric Premiums are great. They're rebranded StopTech rotors. If you want to do upgrades, if you're doing fluid and everything else, you might want to look into SS lines. I've heard great things about Goodridge lines, and I personally am running StopTech's. Also, there's TiC's master cylinder brace as well. The lines and brace made a huge difference in pedal feel, it's a night and day difference.

I don't have any affiliation with StopTech, I'm just always impressed by their quality of parts for the price.

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 05-01-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
For a daily driver, I love my StopTech Street Performance pads. Really don't like my Hawk HPS pads.
I 100% agree with this. For DD, Stoptech SPs are excellent. The best street pad I've run and I will continue to go with them.

If you want blank rotors, Centric Premiums are great. They're rebranded StopTech rotors. If you want to do upgrades, if you're doing fluid and everything else, you might want to look into SS lines. I've heard great things about Goodridge lines, and I personally am running StopTech's. Also, there's TiC's master cylinder brace as well. The lines and brace made a huge difference in pedal feel, it's a night and day difference.
I think that is the other way around. StopTech basically IS Centric.

I'm running Goodridge lines and they work great too.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
For a daily driver, I love my StopTech Street Performance pads. Really don't like my Hawk HPS pads. If you want blank rotors, Centric Premiums are great. They're rebranded StopTech rotors. If you want to do upgrades, if you're doing fluid and everything else, you might want to look into SS lines. I've heard great things about Goodridge lines, and I personally am running StopTech's. Also, there's TiC's master cylinder brace as well. The lines and brace made a huge difference in pedal feel, it's a night and day difference.

I don't have any affiliation with StopTech, I'm just always impressed by their quality of parts for the price.

Goodrich is good and I highly recommend lines. I run stop tech as well. They've held up very well. I think I have about 160,000 miles on them. LOL.

The TiC brace is sick. I want one.

I run Hawk plus pads. Nice pad but I think I'd agree with your assessment 100%. I love them but they are a pretty abusive pad if you don't push your car. I DESTROYED my Centric slotted front rotors for them.

Blanks are good... the brembos aren't that expensive either. For slotted I'll probably never run anything but DBA's again.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Car Info: wrx02
For basic rotors and pads, I recommend visiting RockAuto Auto Parts

I bought centric premium rotors and stoptech street pads from there. I think they have the most competitive price. Ships fast too.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I've Centric Cryostops before and they were good, but running Brembo blanks right now and I think they work just as well if not better.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by 04GG
I think that is the other way around. StopTech basically IS Centric.

I'm running Goodridge lines and they work great too.
Oops, my bad. Got them reversed.

Originally Posted by willow
For basic rotors and pads, I recommend visiting RockAuto Auto Parts

I bought centric premium rotors and stoptech street pads from there. I think they have the most competitive price. Ships fast too.
Rock Auto is great. You can consistently find a 5% off coupon with a quick google search.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
so did this actually fix the problem?
I ask because my car has also developed this awesome noise.
I'd rather fix the root cause then just throw parts at my car and hope for the best.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by jblanco325
I'd rather fix the root cause then just throw parts at my car and hope for the best.
Well, I had exact same problem with my 1991 Toyota Camry with poor brake service. It was making noise even when applying brakes on zero mph. Changed all rotors, brake lube between pads and shims, and new brake fluid. Left brake pads alone since they had lots materials remaining. Noise completely gone, regain stronger brake pedal feels, no vibration from pedals.

So yeah, I would say fluid, lube, rotors will fix the problem. But on performance cars I like to change pads too when changing rotors - so I can maitain even wear on the new rotors.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by jblanco325
I doing a complete brake job with mike at GST, just need to schedule an appt with him and take a day off from work, which I hope its next week. Im due and will fix the issues
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by willow
So yeah, I would say fluid, lube, rotors will fix the problem. But on performance cars I like to change pads too when changing rotors - so I can maitain even wear on the new rotors.
With new pads you can just turn the rotors, but it doesn't work the other way with new rotors; new pads are pretty much required.

I doing a complete brake job with mike at GST, just need to schedule an appt with him and take a day off from work, which I hope its next week. Im due and will fix the issues
Hopefully that is all it is, and from what you've described, that's what it sounds like.