Someone else I'm not thinking of?
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Next mod? X-Brace vs Downpipe vs Q-Rack vs Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
The rack on the sti with a good alignment is decently quick, and I spend 75% of my time on tight canyons. If you plan to do any tracking and aren't just autocross I'd stick with the stock rack. At least complete the suspension on the car first before deciding.
Driving a car with a Q-Rack is much more than just having quick steering. The added weight really help to feel what the front tires are doing through a corner. Compared to a Q, the stock rack is numb. On a track, having the Q let's you as a driver to be able to get a little more out of your car while driving 10/10. Inertia drifting becomes first nature, and being able to countersteer by flicking the steering wheel is effortless. Turn 2 at T-hill becomes one long slide until you need to track-out, doing this in front of an NSX was priceless when the driver later came and talked with me.

OP, lateral link bushings and trailing arm bushings make a huge change to response to steering input. Helps on turn-in. Do em!

Would also do the DP with the bushings. Can't really get more power with the stock DP. The sound is also really nice, even with the stock catback.

Just FYI; the lockdown bolts don't do anything on your car. Your rear subframe has solid metal bushings that have no play.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I'd forgotten about Cowl Braces... although I have to say the install scares the hell out of me.
I might have AHQ do it, just because I know they've been in the job before and there's a lot of mess to be made
Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
DP will make the biggest difference..faster spool is a great thing.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Quick rack, because of price! Yeaaaa
Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Im selling my catted dp for $150. Then that leaves you enough for another goodie. Just saying..
Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by ddavis
Im selling my catted dp for $150. Then that leaves you enough for another goodie. Just saying..
What brand and where are you?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 03 Psm Sedan
Originally Posted by Lowend
I'd forgotten about Cowl Braces... although I have to say the install scares the hell out of me.
I might have AHQ do it, just because I know they've been in the job before and there's a lot of mess to be made
The TIC Giuyngmyo fender braces arent that bad to install. Should take about an hour to install, even less if you dont have any fender liners.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
What brand and where are you?
CNT Catted DP Around 15k on it. Im in Pacifica
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
For your car and what you like to do....

Probably cowl braces, then springs, then x brace. If you can only do one of these things... xbrace. I have a ton of suspension work. The x brace was the best thing I did. And I did it last. I can't believe how much of a difference it made. If the fender brace install is daunting to you then definitely get some help installing the x brace. It can be a bit fiddly!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Down pipe and EQ tune.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Suspension wise, cowl stays and front strut tower bar will improve turn in response, I have them on my 04 STi, along with jdm pink springs, group n mounts and feal tuned struts.

But I still vote dp and tune!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 PM

I'm leaning towards the cowl braces... I thought you had to pull fenders to install. Apparently I was wrong,
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 03 Psm Sedan
I'm leaning towards the cowl braces... I thought you had to pull fenders to install. Apparently I was wrong,
It makes it easier if you loosen the fender, but it definitely doesn't need to come off. You'll see when you do it. Also a set of low profile ratcheting wrenches will make your life a lot easier.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 AM

The stock rack is plenty quick for me for thunderhill, just doesn't make sense for unless I was more into auto cross. I'm more into being smooth and fast.

I would say the most noticeably turn in would be gained by x-brace no doubt. Lateral links and trailing arm with pillow ball give a nicer feel, but I don't think they do much for cornering speed. unless you are buying adjustable I would go x-brace.

fender braces do not make nearly as big of a change imo as the x-brace (but they are only 100 bucks so you should just add them on as well), but are good if you plan on doing all the chasis stiffening mods.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 06-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
You definitely don't need to remove fenders for the TIC ones, but there is VERY little space in there. Bring patience and a 14mm combo, ready to pull out some of the bolts 1/12th of a turn at a time.

Quick Reply: Next mod? X-Brace vs Downpipe vs Q-Rack vs Springs