New at AutoHQ--new manager.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
TurnWRX,

We will be here. If you came by today and noticed no one hear briefly, it was because I had to teach an anatomy class at Stanford this afternoon and Kevin had to pick up parts for a customer to finish his car today. So the shop was briefly unmanned (though we did not plan for it to be that way).

Come by tomorrow and we will be here.

Thanks,

Brandon
Old 06-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

By the way, for those who want to know, Power Enterprise injectors are Denzo. Power Enterprises is just a brand; they don't make anything.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I apologize for taking this thread off topic. I really didn't mean to turn it into any sort of argument... just filling in some more current information.

Brandon, I'll discuss the difference between various injectors with you personally .

Good luck to all of the guys at AHQ!

Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Ed! You are a class-act.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

New shop cell phone number: 650-2AutoHQ (650-228-8647). If you call the shop phone and no one answers, give me a call on the cell. I'll answer it whenever possible between the hours of 6 am and 10 pm.

Thanks!

Brandon
Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by AutoHQ
New shop cell phone number: 650-2AutoHQ (650-228-8647). If you call the shop phone and no one answers, give me a call on the cell. I'll answer it whenever possible between the hours of 6 am and 10 pm.

Thanks!

Brandon
does the previous shop number still work?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi TurnWRX,

Check out our new signature. All the numbers and information is current.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

More professional e-mail addresses for Brandon and Kevin:

Brandon@autoheadquarter.com

Kevin@autoheadquarter.com

We make every effort to respond to e-mails same day (often much faster).

Thank you.

Brandon
Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Check out our new Avatar picture--4 STIs behind Kevin wearing a left-over Subaru uniform from his days as lead tech at Carlsen Subaru.

We didn't bring the cars in for a photo; we had the cars at the shop for tuning or service and saw the photo opportunity.

Can you guess how many and which of these four cars has pulled 400whp or more?

Which car is RWD and set-up for drifting?

Which car is a high-ranking US Time-attack car?

Which car has the biggest turbo?

How many of these cars are usually daily driven?

How many are currently tuned by Shiggy?

Which cars were built from stock by Kevin?

Happy guessing (and if you already have the down-low from hanging around the shop, don't tell everyone already!)

Brandon

Last edited by AutoHQ; 06-26-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
I'm happy now -> See update below (post #61)

I just thought I should let people know that I was not happy with the ECUTEK tune I received from Shiggy.

My car was SLOWER than my previous stage 1 protune. I had Shiggy tune my car after having Kevin modify and install a STi downpipe (replaced the OEM cats with high flow cats). It ran MUCH SMOOTHER than the original stage 1 protune but didn't make power in 1st gear. I felt I had to work the car much harder after the Shiggy tune. I bought another ecu (didn't want to loose the ECUTEK license), and went back to using the AccessPort with a custom map from PDXTuning.

When Shiggy comes back I hope we can get a better outcome.

Steve

Last edited by spelk3; 11-04-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
^^ Problem is shiggy tunes are a street tunes. Drivablilty tunes... Anyone can crank out power on these cars. Shiggy makes it work.
Shiggy doesnt promise you more power. He gives you a better car.
I watched him work and do stuff with my car that I have never seen other tuners do. Including Dynocomp, GST and what not. He takes the time to set and adjust the car up correct. Then tunes.
He's a true tuner. Not a plug in and kiss you.

He tunes the zero/sports team, I'm sure he had good reason to tune your car the way he did.

1st gear hits are hard on the car anyways..... I wouldnt want it.

Its like that saying...
Calf "Let run down the hill and ^&*$ some of those heffers....." Pops " No... Lets walk down and %^%& them all.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Steve,

As we have discussed (via e-mail) early last month, to get more power in 1st gear, your boost has to be turned up overall. However, if your boost is turned up overall, in higher gears your boost will go higher than your injectors can support. Your injectors were already maxed out in higher gears with Shiggy's tune. We tuned your car responsibly given your set-up.

As we have also already discussed, when Shiggy returns we are planning to help you in any way possible to be more satisfied with your Shiggy-tune.

But before contacting us about not being satisfied with your first gear power after Shiggy's tune, you had already switched your ECU and bought a PDX map. To ensure that your car was running safely, we then logged pulls with your old Cobb map and with the new PDX map; the logs you then used to ask PDX to fine tune your map. I am glad that you are now happy with your current PDX tune.

At AutoHQ, we only want the highest quality results. Quality is judged by different people differently. People (not Shiggy) have tuned my own car on a dyno to make over 400 whp, but it did not run smoothly, and the engine blew oil badly. For a drag car, or a time attack car that only has to perform a few laps, drivability and reliability are not as important as for a daily-driven vehicle, and any stronger tune would be a higher quality result. For a Shiggy-tune of an almost stock, daily driven street car, we guarantee smooth and reliable power--and a long-term trouble-free tune. We custom tune every car for each driver and each set-up. We do not sell off the shelf maps. And we do not tune to maximize power. We tune cars for balanced and reliable performance.

We still completely believe in the quality of Shiggy's work. Still, most of all I am in this business to make customers happy with their cars. Because your satisfaction is so important to us, we logged the data for you that PDX looked at to tweak your current map, and I am glad that you are enjoying the PDX tune. Caring about your satisfaction is also why we have already promised you that when Shiggy returns we are going to do everything we can to make you more satisfied with his tune. Realistically, you may need to upgrade your current set-up in order to get the 1st gear power you want and still get a smooth and guaranteed long-term reliable tune.

I encourage you to write, call or come by the shop again. We just took care of some routine service for your wife's truck, but please come back soon to talk with Kevin about your set-up and how we can guarantee your satisfaction next time Shiggy comes to AutoHQ for tuning.

Thanks,

Brandon

Last edited by AutoHQ; 07-05-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by spelk3
I just thought I should let people know that I was not happy with the ECUTEK tune I received from Shiggy.

My car was SLOWER than my previous stage 1 protune. I had Shiggy tune my car after having Kevin modify and install a STi downpipe (replaced the OEM cats with high flow cats). It ran MUCH SMOOTHER than the original stage 1 protune but didn't make power in 1st gear. I felt I had to work the car much harder after the Shiggy tune. I bought another ecu (didn't want to loose the ECUTEK license), and went back to using the AccessPort with a custom map from PDXTuning.

When Shiggy comes back I hope we can get a better outcome.

Steve

You car may have felt slower but in reality, it probably wasn't (unless u counted the higher boost in 1st gear with your other AP map). Shiggy tunes the cars to achieve smoothness throughout the entire band, making it feel as if it was a NA car than a turbo car. Before my tune, with just tbe, uppipe, headers, and stock map, I was at max boost once I hit ~3k rpms.

With the tune for a VF43, I don't get that pushed back into your seat feeling as before, since it's so smooth it feels like an NA car. But I know the power is there even though the feeling is not the same.

Besides smoothness, Shiggy tunes are considered conservative, design to compromise between power, driveability, and reliability. It's a real fine balance and it really shows.

I was very happy with my tune.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
I didn't want to start a debate, just wanted to let people know my experience. The car was not as much fun to drive after the Shiggy tune.

Originally Posted by AutoHQ
But before contacting us about not being satisfied with your first gear power after Shiggy's tune, you had already switched your ECU and bought a PDX map.
This in not exactly true, I had complained about the lack of power before I switched out ecu's. Shiggy was already gone and there was nothing to do as far as the ECUTEK tune goes until he comes back. I really didn't like the lack of power in 1st gear, I felt I was really beating on the car to accelerate. It just was not making power compared to my previous stage 1 protune. It was very smooth but felt like it was way down on power.

I really like the work AHQ does in general, and I am a loyal customer. I refer people to Kevin every chance I get and will continue to get my cars worked on at AHQ.

Last edited by spelk3; 07-05-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by 06STi
^^ Problem is shiggy tunes are a street tunes.
Not really a problem... just a different approach at tuning . As you probably know, I'm also a big advocate of road tuning as I believe its the only way to properly tune overall drivability... and I'm very picky when it comes to drivability. This doesn't mean that road tunes have to sacrifice power, however.

Ultimately the tuner and customer should decide together how far they want to push the tune and what the customer is looking for. I've personally gotten requests that range from "as safe as possible so it will last 100k miles" all the way to "I don't care about this block, lets make crazy power and really push it." While most tunes I do are somewhere in between, I'm always happy to explore either extreme making sure that the customer understands exactly what's involved. In the end the tuner has to find a good balance between reliability and performance while also taking heavy consideration with that particular customer's requests and expectations.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New at AutoHQ--new manager.