New at AutoHQ--new manager.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
Hi Chubs22 (I believe I know who you are): Kevin and I are getting along great. We have not had any arguments. Kevin is really easy to work with when you respect his knowledge. We have a mutual respect for each other, and we complement each others' strengths. He is a real expert. I am the first one to say that many of our customers know more about cars than me. I am good at talking with the customers and managing the shop. There are many things that I can help to improve at AutoHQ, and those are my goals. Kevin is an amazing tech, and Shiggy is probably the most experienced Subaru tuner American customers can get. I want to see AutoHQ prosper like it should given our resources.

06sti, I am really unclear if you are referring to AutoHQ or another shop about possibly causing your car troubles. Please give me a call. I believe that we have not met and I am interested to hear your story. If you believe that AutoHQ has damaged your car, I want to investigate and see what can be done to help you out. I firmly believe that if we have damaged your car that we should be accountable. So please give me a call and let me know.

04caliwrx, yes, we have a customer who is now planning a really awesome build for his WRX. Depending on how far he goes, his car is going to be really strong.

Ed, Cobb is definitely improving. I am not a tuner, and I know only what I have been told by different tuners, including one who uses both EcuTek and Cobb regularly. What I have heard is that in Ecutek there are a little more than 45 parameters that the tuner can adjust, whereas in Cobb there are only about 15. Perhaps this number is referring to an older version of Cobb. Between tuners, there are arguments to be made about what systems are best.
I presume that you would agree that there are differences between tuners, regardless of their software of choice. We think that there are differences, which is why we only endorse Shiggy and you (if the customer wants to use Cobb) for tuning Subaru. We do believe that Shiggy is the most experienced and best tuner that our customers can access.
I responded to your post quite as you might have expected, and I hope that your intention was not to draw me into an argument only to make yourself look better. We want to acknowledge your tuning and I want to let people know about our relationship, and that we do refer customers to you. As you might expect given my position, I am biased towards believing that a Shiggy-tune using Ecutek is the best our customers can get. Every time I have driven a Shiggy-tuned car I have wished that my car was as strong and smooth. During tuning with Shiggy of an almost stock WRX wagon, I was really smiling. I thought, "I would be happy if this were my car." Yet I have an extensively modified STI that, while making more power, even using 100 octane doesn't run as smoothly. So I have to also acknowledge Shiggy's work.
I am very fair and honest. Ed, I welcome and encourage you to show me your best work, and to teach me what you can do with Cobb. If you want to finish tuning my car and teach me a thing or two, I am happy to learn. If you can give me a smooth, strong, and trouble-free tune like any of the Shiggy-tuned cars I've driven, then I should (and I will) sing your praises as highly as any others, and I will also acknowledge the strengths of Cobb when I understand them better.
Right now, I am using Cobb and one of your maps, and for the last couple months I've been driving around with a check engine light and two codes that you have already tried to clear. I checked out my car using Ecutek deltadash software to log pulls and found three other problems with the tuning. But the check engine light from codes that you said you had already permanently cleared is a daily annoyance for me. I have asked you to help me out with the engine codes since we first met, and still no solution to a code that in person you told me you could (and would) easily clear. Anyhow, this is just my own car.
Any individual's car could have a lot of problems that are not the tuners fault. Overall you have a great reputation and I think your tuning is solid. I only want you to show me what you can do with Cobb and how much you understand about tuning Subaru. I've got an STI with the same manual boost controller you recommended and a full tank of 100 octane whenever you want to show me what's up. I'm happy to let you tune me again and for you to correct any biases or misinformation I might have regarding Cobb. Like I said, working with you was fun last time, and should be fun again. Give me a call to let me know when you are available. I would be really happy to get my car running better and also to learn from you what the new Cobb is capable of, and what it can do in your hands.

Mulcibre, we are always looking for a great entry level tech. Give me a call.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by AutoHQ

06sti, I am really unclear if you are referring to AutoHQ or another shop about possibly causing your car troubles. Please give me a call. I believe that we have not met and I am interested to hear your story. If you believe that AutoHQ has damaged your car, I want to investigate and see what can be done to help you out. I firmly believe that if we have damaged your car that we should be accountable. So please give me a call and let me know.

Brandon, he's not talking about AutoHQ. It's another shop.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for letting me know. I'm really glad he has not had such a bad experience here at AutoHQ. If he had, we were going to make it right.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
No.. AutoHQ is the place to go. It was a eastbay shop that I had problems with.

I am sending a few people your way in the next week.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

06STI, Thanks dude. Send us all the business you can. We are happy to have your support!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM

I have a reasonably easy one for you guys tomorrow morning.

I need to have the springs swapped on my stock struts. Kevin's done this one for me before... I'm not gonna bring the whole car in, just the front spring/strut assembly, with new springs and bumpstops. Last time it took him all of 5 minutes to do all 4, and this time I'm just bringing 2!

See ya around 8
Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 PM

kevin rocks. Not only is he a great mechanic, the man can drive too!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Hey Brandon,

I really didn't mean to draw you into any sort of argument and if that's how my post came off, I apologize. I was just trying to fill in some information from my own experiences. Next time we meet up I'll be happy to show you the maps that we have access to with Cobb... I can assure you its well over 15 . You are correct that the earlier versions of ProTuner were somewhat limited but they have really caught up over time.

As far as your car is concerned, I really hope you don't judge my tuning abilities based on it. The car had several fairly major issues when we tuned and some of the components you were using were far from ideal. Remember, I had no input on your setup before we tuned it and there are a couple of key components that need to be taken care of to get the car to drive up to my standards. Things such as boost control, injectors, and MAF placement are small details that can have a huge impact on the overall drivability and smoothness of the car. Aside from that, we also both suspected that the car had mechanical issues from your previous mechanic and tune.. that was the reason I sent you to Kevin in the first place .

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling... the point is that I'd be more than happy to work with you to get your setup and tune in order. As long as you're willing to take some advice on the setup, I'm completely confident that you will be very impressed with the final outcome. If you're serious about getting your car running great, give me a call and we can discuss the options.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 08:58 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Cool I really want to see how his wrx turnes out!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Ed,

I'm happy to report that my boost control issue is solved. My MAF sensor placement problem is solved (wait till you see how, it's pretty cool). And while Perrin 820 cc injectors are not known for their reliability, my particular set of injectors are fine (even you said so yourself while we were on the road). I've also disabled the methanol injection.

Of course I plan to improve pretty much everything on my car, but my car is definitely tunable. The only thing holding us back last time was our responsibility not to continue tuning with boost spiking to 1.7 bar and neither of us being too confident regarding using the AVC-R. So I've down-graded to a manual boost controller, and we should be in business. I am curious to learn more about Cobb and about what an EQ tune can do for me. Plus, Shiggy is not coming back for a while, and I'm currently stock-piling new parts for the rebuild, part 2. Thank God that this time I know my car will be built right, at AutoHQ.

On lesson I've definitely learned the hard way from modifying my car, you'll save a ton of money if your car is built right the first time. But to do it right the first time, I really believe that most of us need to be lucky enough to meet someone like Kevin, who has knowledge, experience and responsibility.

Anyhow, let's do it. I'll give you a call.

Brandon
Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Brandon,

I look forward to hearing from you. I really hope you haven't been rellying on my map considering you have changed the MAF, boost control, and disabled the meth injection. The car was tuned with the setup the way it was and changing significant parts of the setup will certainly throw things off drastically!

As far as the Perrin modified injectors, while I told you that your particular set seemed to run ok, I also mentioned that I normally don't even support these injectors. The way Perrin modifies injectors is unreliable, inconsistent, and just plain wrong. If you really want your car running properly you will have to take my recommendation and swap them out. Injectors are one thing that can totally make or break a car and not enough people understand this.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Ed,

My car is running better now. The changes I have made have helped a lot. I am able to log data and check for any problems whenever I want. We (meaning Kevin) know what we're doing. The car is not tuned for the set-up I have right now, but the car is no longer knocking and retarding timing like it was before I made these changes. I'm in the business of solving problems not making them.

Perrin injectors are unreliable, and these were not my choice (came with the car). I'm switching to Power Enterprise. My injectors work fine and have never given any tuner trouble.

Anyhow, I think there's enough mutual respect that we can stop telling each other (and everyone else) things that we already both know. I've got some new parts on the way. Then I'll call you. I'm excited to see what can be done with this set-up and 100 octane.

Brandon
Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Brandon,

Please give me a call before making any big decisions like injectors. The only way I can guarantee you that the car will run as well as it can is if you take my advice on some parts. If you refuse to take my advice and believe you know best, there is really only so much I can do for you. Remember I have been doing this for the past 5 years and over time I have learned what works and what doesn't. Please don't let pride get in the way and give my suggestions a try. You will not be disappointed. The best running cars I've tuned are the ones that came to me and took my advice on their setups. Working with your tuner to assemble the right setup for your goals is one of the most important steps you can take when modifying your car. Also as you said yourself, each tuner is different and has their own approaches and standards. Some tuners may not mind the Perrin injectors but they also may not mind some inconsistencies and less than perfect drivability. I've seen cars that were deemed to be fine by other tuners that drove like crap. This is not how I work. I know which parts work best and which will provide the best results and drivability. I honestly hope you will take my suggestions seriously as that is the only way I can see us successfully working on your car together.

Thanks

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 06-23-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Good God Ed, who needs the last word? Just send me another e-mail. I don't have any pride about it. I'm listening to Kevin and Shiggy, who has tuned Subaru for many years, and they recommend Power Enterprises injectors. That is what many of our customers are using, and these injectors work great when properly installed. I'm no injector expert or tuner, so of course I am taking advice. And I am taking advice from the best Subaru mechanic in the Bay, if not in the whole country.

Unfortunately this post has become about my car, which is not a very interesting subject. My car is a piece of crap as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't even feel like I decent person if I sold it to someone. Were it built and tuned right the first time, my car would be great. This is why I am now in the process of rebuilding my car. Unfortunately I brought this subject up to make a point that my car does not run as good as any of the four Shiggy-tuned cars I have driven, and how even driving an almost stock Shiggy-tuned WRX made me feel really happy and that I wish I had that car because it drove so nicely.

This thread is about AutoHQ, not about my car or EQ tuning. This thread is also not about who is the best tuner. We know that Shiggy is the best. That will not change. We think that EQ is great and we recommend customers to Ed who want to use Cobb. Personally, I am interested to know more about Cobb and to see what Ed can do for me since I currently use Cobb. That's the end of it.

We want people to know of improvements we are making to our service and shop at AutoHQ. I do believe that we have more expertise and experience to offer customers than any other shop. And I take it as my responsibility to work with our customers, Kevin and Shiggy, and to recommend Ed when someone wants to use Cobb, to make sure that our customers build great cars. The last thing we want to see is one of our customers having such difficulties as I have had with my car having worked with a less than spectacular but well known shop previously.

Also, at AutoHQ, as much as we are about performance, we are also about scheduled maintenance. Kevin is a Honda and Subaru Master Tech. He is also better than his credentials. When he worked for Honda and for Subaru, Kevin was THE go-to mechanic for both dealerships. This is why dealerships refer us new customers. Even now, he is repairing the personal car driven by one local dealership owner. At AutoHQ, we take care of our customers' cars better than the dealerships can, and at a fraction of dealership cost.

Kevin is the best mechanic around. And I want to be the best shop manager, and to make sure that we are taking care of our customers better than any other shop can. Our customers come first here, and that's just one reason that a customer's car is on the rack right now for scheduled maintenance while mine still sits in the parking lot leaking oil. I am about the customers. I am also a medical student, and as a principle I believe that life is about people. Our customers who are modifying their cars are investing so much of their time and money into their car, and so I have to see that their work is done right and to help our customers reach their goals. We do right by our people. And though I hope we continue to increase our profit at AutoHQ, our customers come first, and doing it right the first time saves our customers money.

So, to all customers out there, write or call us with your questions. Let us know what we can do for you at AutoHQ. What we guarantee is this: it will be done right.

Thank you.

Brandon
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM

I'm coming by tomorrow (somewhere around 12 or so, depending on when I wake up). You two going to be there around that time or u guys go out to eat lunch?

Quick Reply: New at AutoHQ--new manager.