Need Military Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
Need Military Advice!

At first, I thought I was DQ'd from the military. I started to look for a civilian job that way if I was eligible for military work, I would have a job when I got back from basic. Now I'm cleared for the military and I would still like to find a job before I go off to basic.

But that may be a problem for future employers. I was wondering if anyone knew any employers that are military friendly and would be willing to hire someone who would need to leave for basic in a few months time and would be willing to keep them employed through basic. Ideally, it would be an office job of some kind, preferably some kind of inside sales job that would accommodate my one weekend a month thing (National Guard).

Thanks for any help or input if you have any. I would love to hear your basic training stories and advice!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
It is a federal law that employers cannot fire you because you have to fulfill a military obligation. That's the law anyway, doesn't mean employers don't find a way around it. That's all the advice I got regarding that.

Basic training is easy, just do as your told.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Your service really should not be a factor in hiring, but the obvious ones would be military contractors or any goverment agency. Keep in mind that once they hire you they must by federal law keep you employed while you are performing your military duties irregardless of length. To make them more likely to hire you you can try to match your gaurd duties and civilian employment and sell yourself as getting training and additional experience from the service.

As far as basic start working out now, drink lots of water, don't be a wallflower, help your fellow gaurdsmen out as much as possible and keep busy. Don't stress out too much over basic, it's designed to test you and train you to deal with stress so you can do you job in the most intense situations. The yelling and things they say aren't personal, it's their job to get you ready for the job. If you keep busy and don't let it get to you it'll be over before you know it.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP STI
Originally Posted by oct1285
It is a federal law that employers cannot fire you because you have to fulfill a military obligation. That's the law anyway, doesn't mean employers don't find a way around it. That's all the advice I got regarding that.

True, but since he's looking for a job before boot camp it may be a bit more tricky. But all the reservist/national guard guys I ve ever worked with never had a problem with taking months out of work for drill/deployment/Or AT. The guys I know have problems with follow on training. Like guys I know who look for time off from their civilian job to go to interrogator training and things like that. Especially now a days with cuts in the defense budget... If you have any questions let me know bro, I've got 9 years active duty navy time (and still going) and been pretty much every where, ship and special warfare deployments in Iraq and Afg. Good luck in whatever you go for.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
What do you plan on doing in the National Guard career wise?

As for boot camp, it's all mind games. Depending on your personality, you might have fun playing the **** **** games. Or it might break you and you'll be sobbing in your rack after lights out. LOL.

BTW, did you go down to MEPS and they gave you a waiver saying you're cleared for enlistment or what?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
12 1/2 years active duty and still going.... Let me know if you need anything!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Originally Posted by STI RUSH
12 1/2 years active duty and still going.... Let me know if you need anything!

Ditto here but only 12 years for me

Let me know if youre considering the Navy (dont!) or Coast Guard (DOOOOO IT!)
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
where are all you active guys stationed? Someone let me go to their weapons range please!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by JAC Wagon

Ditto here but only 12 years for me

Let me know if youre considering the Navy (dont!) or Coast Guard (DOOOOO IT!)
Hey come on, the navy isn't that bad. It's actually been pretty good to me.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon
I was never reserve, however, my experience after I got out of the AF is that most all employers are flexable with active military/vets; as they should be
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
I did 5 years Navy out in Virginia, and the past 7+ in the Coast Guard in Virginia, Hawaii, and now California.

right now I am stationed out of Alameda, and hopefully next summer getting stationed in Lake Tahoe.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:27 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by oct1285

Beat me to it. This is exactly what I was gonna say.

I personally have not gone through basic (was medically disqualified for what I wanted so I said no). But I have known a TON of folks that have.

Keep your head down. Don't draw too much attention to yourself. Bust your but. Don't ask stupid questions. Do what you're told. Yes sir drill sergeant sir better be second nature language to you.

And I'd highly advise you start doing the basics now. Wake up. Do some push ups. Do some sit ups. Go for a run. Do that every day. You don't want to be the guy getting the rest of the guys smoked because you're falling behind.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by JAC Wagon
I did 5 years Navy out in Virginia, and the past 7+ in the Coast Guard in Virginia, Hawaii, and now California.

right now I am stationed out of Alameda, and hopefully next summer getting stationed in Lake Tahoe.
One of my buddies is coming back up from SoCal. He was in the coast guard up here before he went south. I'm not sure what he's doing up here but he loved it. Shooting at drug runners in cuba. Insurgents in the sandbox. Etc.

One of the branches I'd find the most appealing for sure.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STInavyguy
Hey come on, the navy isn't that bad. It's actually been pretty good to me.
I word...

seals.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I word...

SEALs.
Agreed, that where I was for the last four years. Being an analyst for those guys. Coolest job ever telling a platoon of team guys where to go kill bad guys. As stressful as the life was, the most rewarding tour in my career so far. I hope to go back as soon as I'm done with my shore duty here in East Bay.

Quick Reply: Need Military Advice!