Need to know about owning a gun in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
awesome! thanks for the great info Jerry and "Kumamoto R34," its nice to hear input from people that have a crapload of experience with a variety of different guns. I never really considered the Glocks.....but now, I am leaning toward the Glock 21, I really like the idea of the reliability. The accuracy is also something I am looking for, but I know you cant have your cake and eat it too....so a slight compensation in the accuracy dept. for a more reliable gun seems worth it to me.

-Ted

So Gino....is your decision getting harder to make by the minute or what? LOL
Old 09-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Car Info: [url=http://www.fftec.com]Full Function[/url]
Gotboost,

I hope you have big enough hands for the Glock 21... the sole reason for coming out with the Glock in .45 GAP is because everyone was upset that the 21 had too big of a frame for their girly hands.

Jerry
Old 09-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
awesome! thanks for the great info Jerry and "Kumamoto R34," its nice to hear input from people that have a crapload of experience with a variety of different guns. I never really considered the Glocks.....but now, I am leaning toward the Glock 21, I really like the idea of the reliability. The accuracy is also something I am looking for, but I know you cant have your cake and eat it too....so a slight compensation in the accuracy dept. for a more reliable gun seems worth it to me.

-Ted

So Gino....is your decision getting harder to make by the minute or what? LOL

Glocks are still very accurate... And remember, 1911's (most of them) have a 5" barrel, compared to full size glocks (and many other pistols) that have 4" barrels. Do you really need 1" accuracy compared to 1.2" accuracy. It's not a rifle... You're going to be shooting from like 15feet away max (in a real world situation). Unless you're competeing its not really a problem.

Ted, you're just as big as I am, so the G21 will do you right. The grip is big but it isnt that big (Just big for little people). I actually prefer the big grip... small grips always feel ****ty to me.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Full Function
Hey Guys,

I used to work at a Sportsmens Supply for about a year. I've seen so many people buy the wrong guns because of look or what they have heard. Your best bet is to go to either Target Masters or any other indoor shoting range and rent a few guns. This way you get a feel for what you are most comfortable with. Shooting is like trying on pants. You never get the right ones unless you try a whole bunch of them out.

If you are interested in buying a handgun for the first time, take the time to research the differences in the two. If it's for home defense, get a revolver. I'd go with a S&W or Ruger .357 mag or .38 SPL. The only reason why I'd recommend a rev. over an auto is for reliability. If you are not an avid shooter or lack the experience, that's the only way I'd go. Another option is a 12 gauge pump shotgun (mossberg or Remington) just for the sound. Anyone that's dumb enough to break into a house to begin with has been around or has heard somewhere down the road the sing of a pump action shotgun racking a round.

1911's are great guns. The only problem is you have to clean them very throughly and need to deal with changing recoil springs every few thousand rounds. "field stripping" is no where as easy as a Glock, SIG, or Springfield. But the accuracy between a 1911 and the other autos is no where close by any standards. I own a Sig P220 Sport and it's a great gun. The only problem is the more accurate the gun, the tighter the tolorences. These looser guns i.e. Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, Springfields are able to take more of a beating and less cleaning because they are not as accurate. These differences in accuracy would most likely not be very noticible for people that are just shooting for fun.

The requirements for a gun purchase are simple. For a handgun, you'll need to take the HSC (handgun safty cert.) test. IT's very basic, common sense type questions. There is a hang book you can download or pick up at your nearest gun store. Then you will need a proof of residency, (gov. issued utility bill to your home address on the drivers lic. under your name, vehicle reg. under your name to your home address, or rental agrrement), driver's lic., and money. For along gun (rifle/shotgun), you will need the proof of residency, and driver's license. There is a standard 240 hour waiting period. This exactly 10 days starting at the minute the paperwork is submitted. Once this is submitted, there is no turning back ont eh gun sale because that serial number is officially under your name.

If anyone else has any other questions, feel free to PM me, I'll be more than happy to answer them for you...

Jerry

I agree with everything Jerry said. Best post of the year!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:02 PM

Car Info: [url=http://www.fftec.com]Full Function[/url]
Lurch, that's the sweetiest thing you have eversaid about me... (tears in eyes)

I love you too