Mod Friendly dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Originally Posted by Riceboi907
Take it to Carlsen Subaru, PROcede can personally tell you that they are easy going with mods, the only thing they note down is car is highly modified but will continue to do warranty work on it. I know that the 2011 WRX's have a lot of clutch issues and the warranty repair is to replace everything except the clutch disc (unless the clutch disc is messed up of course), but just like any other warranty issue they must be able to verify the problem. And yes I do work at Carlsen Subaru as a tech and I do look out for my fellow i-clubbers when they come through our dealer. The only thing is make sure you talk to Howard, our service manager, he's much more easy going than Joe Sui (supervisor).
Have you seen any +11 WRXs with a clutch chatter on cold starts? My clutch when depressed, chirps a bit when cold but goes away when warmed up. I've seen in forums attributing it to bad throw out bearing; any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rau
this mother****er must work at a dealership -_-
Nope. I race my car. I pay for my stuff when it breaks. Seems fair to me.

Thanks for the insult BTW.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I was in Redding this weekend and they are building the brand new Subaru dealer there on Cypress! WOOOHOOO. Closer to my place up there than Chico...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Lorry

Please stop thread crapping. Actually, stop posting in my thread. It would be better for everyone.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Giibo
Have you seen any +11 WRXs with a clutch chatter on cold starts? My clutch when depressed, chirps a bit when cold but goes away when warmed up. I've seen in forums attributing it to bad throw out bearing; any thoughts?
Seems to be a common issue from what i've seen. Although I've also read about the welds around the firewall giving way. Hope those were isolated incidents!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Riceboi907
Take it to Carlsen Subaru, PROcede can personally tell you that they are easy going with mods, the only thing they note down is car is highly modified but will continue to do warranty work on it. I know that the 2011 WRX's have a lot of clutch issues and the warranty repair is to replace everything except the clutch disc (unless the clutch disc is messed up of course), but just like any other warranty issue they must be able to verify the problem. And yes I do work at Carlsen Subaru as a tech and I do look out for my fellow i-clubbers when they come through our dealer. The only thing is make sure you talk to Howard, our service manager, he's much more easy going than Joe Sui (supervisor).

Originally Posted by PROcede
With this being said I can personally vouche for Carlsen doing great work and still doing warranty work on my car for non-related engine issues. They've always been really helpful and fit me in for services when I was in a pinch. They are one of the better dealerships that are up to date on some issues of the 2011+ WRX/STi and take care of them without any fuss. Kevin and Howard are great people and of the many dealerships they have provided the best customer service to my car and I.

Also just to put this out there, even with a fellow i clubber working there don't expect special treatment or anything. I go in there knowing I could be denied work on anything and I don't expect riceboi907 to try and put himself out there for me. It's just a nice thought knowing someone from the community is watching and would let me know if they were joy riding my car. If he looks out for me on anything else that's just a plus and him being a nice guy.

thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Impreza STI
Yes that chatter is also common and it would be a warranty fix assuming it's still under warranty, and quite honestly everyone describes the noise differently. The only thing is we do require that you leave the car over night because we tend to cold start it the next morning to verify the noise. Just like any other warranty ordeal, we must be able to verify the noise. What component it is I couldn't tell you, I am fairly new to the automotive world and as a tech, but I do share what I know and try to be helpful.

Last edited by Riceboi907; 10-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 AM

Car Info: his wife crazy
Originally Posted by PROcede
With this being said I can personally vouche for Carlsen doing great work and still doing warranty work on my car for non-related engine issues. They've always been really helpful and fit me in for services when I was in a pinch. They are one of the better dealerships that are up to date on some issues of the 2011+ WRX/STi and take care of them without any fuss. Kevin and Howard are great people and of the many dealerships they have provided the best customer service to my car and I.

Also just to put this out there, even with a fellow i clubber working there don't expect special treatment or anything. I go in there knowing I could be denied work on anything and I don't expect riceboi907 to try and put himself out there for me. It's just a nice thought knowing someone from the community is watching and would let me know if they were joy riding my car. If he looks out for me on anything else that's just a plus and him being a nice guy.
I traded in my 2005 STi with the following mods to Carlsen for a 2011 STi Limited:

-TurboXS FMIC
-PE 850cc injectors
-Cobb AP V2 (even handed it to Kevin!)
-Injen CAI
-GTSpec Gen II headers
-Apex'i N1 turboback (catless)
-Buddy Club Racing Spec Dampers (significantly lowered)
-Perrin turbo inlet hose
-Kartboy lightened pulleys (power steering and crank)
-HKS SSQV3
-and a few other mods I can't remember

Point is, they knew what they were getting and still gave me over $13,000 as trade-in value towards the new STi. I even told Kevin at his desk that the car would not pass a smog check with the catless d/p. He still pulled strings and was able to get me home in a brand new 2011 STI limited with 8 miles on the odometer. I would definitely go back to Carlsen for a new Subaru or if I need OEM parts.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
White Lightning

Car Info: Built, 6-Speed, E85, #pluskey 06 Wagon
i was at carlsen this past week for an oil change in my hawkeye wagon. super friendly, zane hooked it up with a number to get my fenders rolled, and for coilovers. i dont have a warranty, so that is why i probably didnt run in to any issues at all. thanks for the note Riceboi907, i was wondering what the squeaking noise has been for a while. im coming back in wednesday to get it taken care of. and that rattle in the back is my exhaust. the alcohol has eaten up the inside of the cat, so it doesnt sound so good. i plan on having it taken out, or hollowing it out.
oh and thanks heedz for letting me know that my cat is basically non existent lol
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru Impreza STI
Originally Posted by kamnewton
i was at carlsen this past week for an oil change in my hawkeye wagon. super friendly, zane hooked it up with a number to get my fenders rolled, and for coilovers. i dont have a warranty, so that is why i probably didnt run in to any issues at all. thanks for the note Riceboi907, i was wondering what the squeaking noise has been for a while. im coming back in wednesday to get it taken care of. and that rattle in the back is my exhaust. the alcohol has eaten up the inside of the cat, so it doesnt sound so good. i plan on having it taken out, or hollowing it out.
oh and thanks heedz for letting me know that my cat is basically non existent lol
I'm surprised zain was friendly, we don't hear that very often haha. And no worries, always glad to look out for a fellow i-clubber zain usually doesn't write up our notes which is why I decided to leave you a note. I was going to work on your car today but I was stuck on another car so I let the other tech took it, but he took care of it, I looked over a lot. Are you running E85? I noticed a separate tank in the hatch, couldn't figure out what it was. Ahh, that explains the rattle, anyways hope all is well with the car.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX
I have the exact same issue during cold starts on my 09 WRX. It sounds exactly like this with varying levels of volume depending on how cold it is.

Is there any way I can make an appointment with you riceboi as I believe my car is still in warranty since i bought it late december. Only mod's I have are short ram intake, sways, and short shifter. Would that make a difference or should i just return it to stock?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 2013 Wrx hatchback,06 Yamaha R1
I went to Capitol Subaru today to get a Kartboy short shifter installed on my 2013 with hatchback & they said it would void my warranty.
So I asked about a catback exhaust & they said anything aftermarket not made by Subaru will void my warranty.

Capitol Subaru is definitely NOT mod friendly.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by NorCal420
I went to Capitol Subaru today to get a Kartboy short shifter installed on my 2013 with hatchback & they said it would void my warranty.
So I asked about a catback exhaust & they said anything aftermarket not made by Subaru will void my warranty.

Who'd you talk to? I'd like to sit down with them and go over their warranty word by word....

If you put a short shifter on your car it will void the warranty of your stock shifter... that's it. If you put a cat back exhaust on your car it will void the warranty of your stock cat back... that's it.

They can argue and probably win (more expensive lawyers) that any part directly related to those parts could be voided as well.

I'd give Santa Cruz Subaru a call or just take it to a shop or ask around. Both of those parts can be installed by a forum member over beers and pizza in under 2 hours. Shops do those all day long and on a lift it's a cake walk.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 2013 Wrx hatchback,06 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Who'd you talk to? I'd like to sit down with them and go over their warranty word by word....

If you put a short shifter on your car it will void the warranty of your stock shifter... that's it. If you put a cat back exhaust on your car it will void the warranty of your stock cat back... that's it.

They can argue and probably win (more expensive lawyers) that any part directly related to those parts could be voided as well.

I'd give Santa Cruz Subaru a call or just take it to a shop or ask around. Both of those parts can be installed by a forum member over beers and pizza in under 2 hours. Shops do those all day long and on a lift it's a cake walk.
That's what I thought.
I have already installed my catback I'm just being too lazy to do my short shifter with bushings.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lorry

Kill yourself.

Originally Posted by NorCal420

Why did you pay to have it installed? Its so easy -__- i would of done it for a 6 pack lol

Like Ray said, each part "voids" each warranty part but legally your warranty isn't "voided" rather your warranty claim is "denied"

Quick Reply: Mod Friendly dealership?