Mann engineering

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by 04GG
Of course they haven't paid it off, the new location with the dyno has only been officially open a few months and they haven't done a ton of tunes at this spot yet. I was honestly surprised at the price too when he quoted me. AFAIK, Bill's whole thing is tuning too...and he's taught a few other shops as well. I'm not saying everyone should go there and the prices aren't exactly low for some things, but I also don't get the bashing.

You can pick up a BMW cheap right now...but fixing is where they kick your butt.
Im not bashing. Gary is a great guy. But out of my price range is all ive stated. Its definately marked up for the reasons not extending beyond trying to recoop the money for the dollar they dropped on their stuff.

And yes u can pick up an older used bmw for cheap. No problem!

But a 2006 bmw with the same performance as my wrx would be about 10k more than I paid for mine....

I dont even want to think about paying someone to fix it. I almost **** a brick when the shop wanted 700 for a oil pan gasket on a ford lol.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Of course they haven't paid it off, the new location with the dyno has only been officially open a few months and they haven't done a ton of tunes at this spot yet. I was honestly surprised at the price too when he quoted me. AFAIK, Bill's whole thing is tuning too...and he's taught a few other shops as well. I'm not saying everyone should go there and the prices aren't exactly low for some things, but I also don't get the bashing.

You can pick up a BMW cheap right now...but fixing is where they kick your butt.
Im not bashing. Gary is a great guy. But o
Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Its a science...kinda hard to explain why its wayyyyyy better than dynapack....but u get the idea why they charge so much more.....

lol
Not sure if you're being serious... If you are, please explain.
My old shop had a Dynapack, it would do things that (at the time) you simply couldn't do on a roller dyno.
For example with the Dynapack we could hold an engine at a specific RPM while we made changes. It allowed us to measure the difference in torque output at a specific RPM in real time.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 93 Impreza LS, 05 WRX Wagon, 98 Impreza Wagon

So, sounds about right. Comparable coils would be in the $2K range IMO; we're not talking about Megans here. The ALK is a couple hundred, sways, endlinks, bushings, and labor AND an alignment. So not sure what the issue is? Did you get to roll on his coils? I did in their BRZ and thought the ride was pretty darn good for coils. Their coils are built on site there in their shop.

I did stage 1 there and installed and aligned it cost me about what it would have cost just for the parts, so I felt it was a pretty good deal. "Slightly" better handling would have been stage 1 + springs IMO, and Gary would not try to upsell you unless you were asking for coils AFAIK, as stage 1 does not lower the car at all.
It's interesting that Mann Engineering is taking the next step and offering suspension packages. Gary's extremely bright and very enthusiastic. I see similarities to what they're trying to accomplish and where tuners such as Steve Dinan started as (I've also used Dinan for my prior BMWs). I selected Mann to work on my vehicle based on the recommdations of 04GG and two other friends. It's true that startup costs need to be recouped and the way is usually to amortize the costs across a wide customer base. Hopefully the teething stage will be short lived and people can focus on the excellent service and products.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Bill Knose/Delicious Tuning. Have to make it worth his while to travel up here from SD.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I'll comment on a couple things here. First, the MAHA dyno is very nice but it should not cost any more to operate than any other load bearing dyno. They all use similar Eddy Brakes to apply load to the rollers. It does sound like Mann has a very nice dyno cell set up which is not cheap to set up in the first place. The MAHA dyno is also pricey, so I imagine they invested quite a bit of startup cost there.

As far as tuning costs, the quote in the OP is pretty up there. Part of that is just the cost Ecutek licenses and I imagine the other part is the cost of having to fly in a tuner. I believe AHQ has similar pricing if not higher since their tuner flies in from Japan? Local tuners don't have to deal with that kind of overhead so our prices can naturally be lower.

Either way, the pricing is what it is. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of work at Mann, so I can only assume they care about what they're doing. There are always different priced options in the market... sometimes more expensive means better, but sometimes there are similar options at lower costs. I think that's largely for individuals to figure out and decide for themselves.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by rau
Bill Knose/Delicious Tuning. Have to make it worth his while to travel up here from SD.
Yep that's Bill Knose formerly of I-Speed and Crawford. I've known him for a very long time since before I was tuning professionally. Good guy all around.

-- Ed
Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
i have nothing against the higher prices, but when I called to see if they would install a cobb dp that I had received as a gift(they do not do customer supplied installs), a simple no would have been okay. The person told me the piece was crap and then tried to push me on getting a milltek downpipe. They did the same thing to Snoopy408, with his APS products.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I'm guessing Bill is probably going to be tuning the car. Him and Gary from Mann go way back. He is a good tuner, but ECUTEK is pretty much obsolete now.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Apparently Turbo/SC BRZ's/FRS's are using ECUTEK still.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:02 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by PROcede
Apparently Turbo/SC BRZ's/FRS's are using ECUTEK still.
Yep I use Ecutek for BRZ/FRS and GT-R tuning. I still prefer Cobb, but Ecutek has nice features for the GT-R and are pretty much the only tuning platform available for the BRZ.

-- Ed
Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
I was told by Mann that my APS exhaust was basically garbage and that everyone they knew who ran them sold it and got a Milltek.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
They have raging hard on's for Millitek or something?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Originally Posted by rau
They have raging hard on's for Millitek or something?
i have the milltek, it is a very nice piece. worth the money
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet415

i have the milltek, it is a very nice piece. worth the money
Worth the money just not the markup

Quick Reply: Mann engineering