Machine Shop in the bay/norcal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX 2.5L T/S, 272s, FMIC, Flipped Mani
Machine Shop in the bay/norcal

Can anyone refer me to a machine shop in the bay area or norcal? i have a block i need to drop off to get some work done. I can not find anyone near me that will touch subaru blocks lol.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Replika Maschinen, Inc - Santa Clara, CA
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Lowend
Seconded. These guys did some great work on a 3S-GTE for me, and at the time, they had a WRX EJ20 in there that they were building for a rally car - looked gorgeous.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX 2.5L T/S, 272s, FMIC, Flipped Mani
perfect! I will give them a call today. Thanks guys!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Car Info: LEGACY L7 BD,GF8 WAGON
theres also clarks auto repair in cupertino
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
I haven't had to use a machine shop yet, but everyone I've talked to from Subarus to Hondas to Miatas to Mustangs has recommended Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward. I've asked like 10 people where they went or who they'd go to and every single one has said Rob's.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Robs in Hayward. Hands down...
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Robs in Hayward. Hands down...
+1 for Robs.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward will definitely get the job done. My friends and I will always go to him for any motor work need done.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Car Info: 05 STi, 87 RX
Has anybody taken an EA82 (Subaru Loyale/Leone) engine to Rob's Auto Machine shop? It seems like they do great work (hell they do stuff for GST) but not sure if they would want to deal with a crappy little engine making some meager power (it is for an '87 RX). My friend and I want the engine bored out for some 0.020 over-sized pistons, it is kind of our first time learning to build an engine.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by xGT LEGOx
theres also clarks auto repair in cupertino
+1 for Clarks in Cupertino. I just recently had my shortblock and internals machined there. they do fantastic work and havent had any problems (shortblock wise) now with the odometer reading 1500 miles on the new build.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by pghiocel
Has anybody taken an EA82 (Subaru Loyale/Leone) engine to Rob's Auto Machine shop? It seems like they do great work (hell they do stuff for GST) but not sure if they would want to deal with a crappy little engine making some meager power (it is for an '87 RX). My friend and I want the engine bored out for some 0.020 over-sized pistons, it is kind of our first time learning to build an engine.
Its made of metal, and you want machine something. Pretty sure he will do it without issue.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Its made of metal, and you want machine something. Pretty sure he will do it without issue.
Yeah, I don't think they have a requirement that machine work be for an exciting enough project to be worth their time. Pretty sure they take all kinds of 'boring' stuff like routine flywheel grinds on clutch jobs and machine work on commuter cars and such.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
Originally Posted by Concillian
Yeah, I don't think they have a requirement that machine work be for an exciting enough project to be worth their time. Pretty sure they take all kinds of 'boring' stuff like routine flywheel grinds on clutch jobs and machine work on commuter cars and such.
Rob's won't do flywheel resurfacing or brake rotor resurfacing, it's not that they can't it's due to not wanting to change the setup's on their tooling for such a job when they can simply refer people to another local shop that bangs those jobs out all day and will turn them around while you eat a Burrito in the parking lot.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Concillian
You would be surprised. As an owner of a '91 Justy, it's hard to find someone who will care about that car, because it's a 20 year old POS to most people. I have had some seriously crap work done on that car, until I found the fellow who works on it now.

Originally Posted by UKn00b
Rob's won't do flywheel resurfacing or brake rotor resurfacing, it's not that they can't it's due to not wanting to change the setup's on their tooling for such a job when they can simply refer people to another local shop that bangs those jobs out all day and will turn them around while you eat a Burrito in the parking lot.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Turning out rotors is one thing, but most places I have been or worked have had a dedicated device for this. Working with a lathe is not such a big deal if this is what you do, and a lot of times resurfacing flywheels requires a good amount of experience depending on the application (where rotors usually do not). Must be nice to turn away business in this economy!

Quick Reply: Machine Shop in the bay/norcal