i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Machine Shop in the bay/norcal (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/machine-shop-bay-norcal-253181/)

PRNDWRX 07-29-2013 10:29 PM

Machine Shop in the bay/norcal

Can anyone refer me to a machine shop in the bay area or norcal? i have a block i need to drop off to get some work done. I can not find anyone near me that will touch subaru blocks lol.

Lowend 07-30-2013 02:53 AM

[url=http://www.replikamaschinen.com/]Replika Maschinen, Inc - Santa Clara, CA[/url]

wombatsauce 07-30-2013 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Lowend;3430669][url=http://www.replikamaschinen.com/]Replika Maschinen, Inc - Santa Clara, CA[/url][/QUOTE]

Seconded. These guys did some great work on a 3S-GTE for me, and at the time, they had a WRX EJ20 in there that they were building for a rally car - looked gorgeous.

PRNDWRX 07-30-2013 10:59 AM

perfect! I will give them a call today. Thanks guys!

xGT LEGOx 07-30-2013 11:02 AM

theres also clarks auto repair in cupertino

Concillian 07-30-2013 02:25 PM

I haven't had to use a machine shop yet, but everyone I've talked to from Subarus to Hondas to Miatas to Mustangs has recommended Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward. I've asked like 10 people where they went or who they'd go to and every single one has said Rob's.

joltdudeuc 07-31-2013 07:35 AM

Robs in Hayward. Hands down...

apetron 07-31-2013 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;3431174]Robs in Hayward. Hands down...[/QUOTE]

+1 for Robs.

klenboy 07-31-2013 10:35 AM

Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward will definitely get the job done. My friends and I will always go to him for any motor work need done.

pghiocel 09-10-2013 02:06 PM

Has anybody taken an EA82 (Subaru Loyale/Leone) engine to Rob's Auto Machine shop? It seems like they do great work (hell they do stuff for GST) but not sure if they would want to deal with a crappy little engine making some meager power (it is for an '87 RX). My friend and I want the engine bored out for some 0.020 over-sized pistons, it is kind of our first time learning to build an engine.

02RS25 09-10-2013 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=xGT LEGOx;3430760]theres also clarks auto repair in cupertino[/QUOTE]

+1 for Clarks in Cupertino. I just recently had my shortblock and internals machined there. they do fantastic work and havent had any problems (shortblock wise) now with the odometer reading 1500 miles on the new build.

joltdudeuc 09-10-2013 03:41 PM

[QUOTE="pghiocel;3446831"]Has anybody taken an EA82 (Subaru Loyale/Leone) engine to Rob's Auto Machine shop? It seems like they do great work (hell they do stuff for GST) but not sure if they would want to deal with a crappy little engine making some meager power (it is for an '87 RX). My friend and I want the engine bored out for some 0.020 over-sized pistons, it is kind of our first time learning to build an engine.[/QUOTE]

Its made of metal, and you want machine something. Pretty sure he will do it without issue.

Concillian 09-11-2013 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;3446858]Its made of metal, and you want machine something. Pretty sure he will do it without issue.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think they have a requirement that machine work be for an exciting enough project to be worth their time. Pretty sure they take all kinds of 'boring' stuff like routine flywheel grinds on clutch jobs and machine work on commuter cars and such.

UKn00b 09-11-2013 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=Concillian;3447069]Yeah, I don't think they have a requirement that machine work be for an exciting enough project to be worth their time. Pretty sure they take all kinds of 'boring' stuff like routine flywheel grinds on clutch jobs and machine work on commuter cars and such.[/QUOTE]

Rob's won't do flywheel resurfacing or brake rotor resurfacing, it's not that they can't it's due to not wanting to change the setup's on their tooling for such a job when they can simply refer people to another local shop that bangs those jobs out all day and will turn them around while you eat a Burrito in the parking lot.

wombatsauce 09-11-2013 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=Concillian;3447069]Yeah, I don't think they have a requirement that machine work be for an exciting enough project to be worth their time. Pretty sure they take all kinds of 'boring' stuff like routine flywheel grinds on clutch jobs and machine work on commuter cars and such.[/QUOTE]

You would be surprised. As an owner of a '91 Justy, it's hard to find someone who will care about that car, because it's a 20 year old POS to most people. I have had some seriously crap work done on that car, until I found the fellow who works on it now.

[QUOTE=UKn00b;3447104]Rob's won't do flywheel resurfacing or brake rotor resurfacing, it's not that they can't it's due to not wanting to change the setup's on their tooling for such a job when they can simply refer people to another local shop that bangs those jobs out all day and will turn them around while you eat a Burrito in the parking lot.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Turning out rotors is one thing, but most places I have been or worked have had a dedicated device for this. Working with a lathe is not such a big deal if this is what you do, and a lot of times resurfacing flywheels requires a good amount of experience depending on the application (where rotors usually do not). Must be nice to turn away business in this economy!