Like Sashimi? Fresh squid? VERY fresh squid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 07 STi Limited #359 UGM
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Sorry, homie...no blood or sand in my vaj.
You can tell alot by a culture by the way it treats its animals. ..and what I see is not impressive.

I guess once you have actually ended the life of a living creature, you have a different outlook on life.
Yes, I get that its only a squid, but there is no reason to prepare a dish like this in the modern world. 5000 yrs ago...or stranded on an island...or after the impending zombie apocalypse...ok, fine.
word haha
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by StealthMODE
^^ i agree... raw food is gross...
I'm guessing you don't like sashimi as well?

And there's nothing wrong with raw food.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by turfshark
somehow i still find the squid in japan less creepy than pizza in china.

That's only creepy until you realize what it is. That's Bonito flakes (dried sliced fish) and the heat is warping the thin, dry flakes causing them to move.

That's similar to throwing potato slices into hot oil and saying "look it's dancing!"

Last edited by chimchimm5; 08-01-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
There was a trend here in America awhile back... Swallowing whole, live gold fish.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Eh, humans were savages back in the day. If ya had to eat it, then eat the mother ****er.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Car Info: Nadda

1:25. Doesn't look like it's all brain dead there.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Yeah its not alive, just reactions.
You can get this out of Horse Neck Clams at Sushi Restaurants, that's how you tell its fresh, you tap it with your chopstick and see if it reacts.
That squid bowl is pretty much considered a delicacy and on top you can only get it where the squid comes in fresh. Pretty rare thing to be served.
To people complaining this is inhumane trust me this is nothing close, and definitely is not, I would eat it and so would any curious tourist who's accepting to any type of food.
I know this guy wouldn't complain
Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
ok i went a did a little research on the exact anatomy of squids. there brain is located right above their beak and pretty much between there eyes. they are NOT quickly killing these squids. from the first video you can see there is easily 1/2 inch left above the eyes, so no they are NOT killing these squids quickly. kind of makes this seem a lot more messed up to me. its starting to slightly remind me of the people in asia who break open monkey skull and eat their brains while the monkey is still alive/ dying

Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM

okay.... this isnt as bad as monkeys is it? at least most of the body parts are done.... on top, the heart is disconnected, how's it staying alive that long.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
^^^Bingo. The only reason to eat such dishes is for the coolness factor...real ****ing cool.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Plus...that **** ain't kosher.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Car Info: WRX
I respect culture's individual cuisines but that makes me sick. I wouldn't eat it, but to each their own.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Car Info: WRX
lol word
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 PM

I also believe living in a community of mostly whites..... and my dad being a sushi chef. When people try things they end up liking it... True within my friends that are WHITE they said no then my dad said try it they did and they liked it......
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Sorry, homie...no blood or sand in my vaj.
You can tell alot by a culture by the way it treats its animals. ..and what I see is not impressive.

I guess once you have actually ended the life of a living creature, you have a different outlook on life.
Yes, I get that its only a squid, but there is no reason to prepare a dish like this in the modern world. 5000 yrs ago...or stranded on an island...or after the impending zombie apocalypse...ok, fine.
In a sense, a fresh squid is no different than a steak, a chop, a burger, or any sort of "common meat". All of the animals had to die at one point before they could be eaten, and to show my gratitude, I make an effort to never waste food. I've also butchered my own meat before, so I know what goes into the process. At the end of the day, it's all just a lifestyle choice and a veneer based on artificial social distinction: pet vs. food, vegetarian vs. omnivore, rare vs. well-done, etc. To each their own (outside of cannibalism, though, because that's just wrong ).

Originally Posted by StealthMODE
^^ i agree... raw food is gross...
Better avoid those salads then, brah.
Seriously, if you can't appreciate the gustatory delight of raw foods, I feel bad for you.

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
That's only creepy until you realize what it is. That's Bonito flakes (dried sliced fish) and the heat is warpin the thin, dry flakes causing them to move.

That's similar to throwing potato slices into hot oil and saying "look it's dancing!"
Right on the money!

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Eh, humans were savages back in the day. If ya had to eat it, then eat the mother ****er.
Agreed. The natural state of the world is eat or be eaten.

Originally Posted by dub599
ok i went a did a little research on the exact anatomy of squids. there brain is located right above their beak and pretty much between there eyes. they are NOT quickly killing these squids. from the first video you can see there is easily 1/2 inch left above the eyes, so no they are NOT killing these squids quickly. kind of makes this seem a lot more messed up to me. its starting to slightly remind me of the people in asia who break open monkey skull and eat their brains while the monkey is still alive/ dying

The heart (which is excised) is more vital to life than the brain. Use more common sense before attempting scientific pontification.

Well, I can't argue with that.
But I'm not a Jew, so I'll continue to ascribe to this:
"13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.” " -- Acts 10:13-15

Quick Reply: Like Sashimi? Fresh squid? VERY fresh squid?