Karma's a ***** you break-checking mother ****er.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I guess 5-6 car lengths is a little close for 72 MPH but CA legal standard is 1 car length per 10 mPH for safe distance.

I am terrible at tailgating but will usually leave that didtance.

As far as that being how you do it in SO Cal dont you all drive bumper to bumper at like 35MPH down there?

Isnt it usually us Nor Cal drivers who go down there and screw things up by actually trying to leave distance?lololololo
Fixed that for ya, too much traffic to do 75.

Although I will tell you in New Jersey they do drive bumper to bumper at 75 on the turnpike. It freaked me out at first, but since everybody is doing it, everybody is being courteous about it and driving as cautiously as you can for 75mph.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I dont understand why people cant just move over to let faster traffic pass??? I always do, why dont other people have the common courtesy too as well???
Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by queeg9k
I dont understand why people cant just move over to let faster traffic pass??? I always do, why dont other people have the common courtesy too as well???
The best is they won't move over, so you finally take the initiative and go around them on the right and then they suddenly decide to change lanes. WTF!!!! Did me going around you finally wake you up an make you realize you were driving slow enough to be in another lane? Or did you think I just like riding your ***? I can frustrated some days and just want to
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I had a guy driving an old school really nice restored 60's plymouth somthing driving down 5. he was going like 72 in the fast lane an well I wanted to go 76-78 which IMHO should be the speed limit down there. Anyway he has tons of opportunities to let me pass, and becasue it was an old school I was giving him like 5-6 car lenghths between us.

I finally have had enough after like 20 miles he does not move over so I shoot into the slow lane to pass, he attempts to move over as well so I shoot back into the fast lane, and pass him. He starts flipping out making all kinds of rude jestures yelling at me, etc...

I just happened to be in uniform that day on my way to a seminar in so cal so in a very rare move for me I hold up my badge to the passenger window and smile. So he guns it to like 80-85 which made it impossible for me to pass and gets back in front of me and brake checks me. "mind you he is in a nice restored old school plymouth"

So he continues down the road at 85-90 so Im happy. I am now able to drive the speed I want to in the fast lane and he is putting alot of didtance between us.

He gets to about 350-400 meters in front of me in the middle of nowhere past buttonwillow and I see the smoke pour out of his exhaust. I pass him limping down the road smoke pouring out of the exhaust with the sound of a blown motor....

WINNING!!!!
I don't get why he wouldn't just let you pass. After his engine blew, did you did this:

Name:  simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  25.1 KB

I also don't get why people cruising at a speed suddenly gun it just because someone else is signalling to go into their lane. That's the **** that causes accidents. If you don't want people coming in, then close the gap so there's no safe room for another car.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by SubyWrxGuy
I understand why you were riding his @ss, but I usually just don't care enough and love my car too much to risk getting it in an accident. Therefore, I keep a 12 car distance... this is how we do it in So. Cal i guess we must have nicer cars out there or better drivers haha

Awesome story though & thanks for sharing!
12....car.....distance..... wut
Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
You would be the person that I'd want to drive off the road for obstructing me from driving faster and letting too many people in front. And I started driving in So Cal, not everybody leaves 12 car gaps.
I drive fast when the road is clear. FYI we were discussing driving habits in traffic. When in traffic jams I keep a good distance from the driver in front of me...

Last edited by SubyWrxGuy; 08-26-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
I guess 5-6 car lengths is a little close for 72 MPH but CA legal standard is 1 car length per 10 mPH for safe distance.

I am terrible at tailgating but will usually leave that didtance.

As far as that being how you do it in SO Cal dont you all drive bumper to bumper at like 75MPH down there?

Isnt it usually us Nor Cal drivers who go down there and screw things up by actually trying to leave distance?lololololo
I've been up here for the last 3 years, and since I've been back things have changed-

One thing is for sure there are too many drivers on the road...

The 101S always gets backed up before you hit the 405 but other than that drivers keep an good distance.... it's because there are more luxury cars down there
Old 08-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by queeg9k
Exactly, no matter how fast I am going, if I don't need to be in the fast lane I won't be in it..I treat it as a passing lane...I've been doin over 80mph and gotten over...I've been inthe lane over from the fast lane and still gotten over
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by slugrx
Exactly, no matter how fast I am going, if I don't need to be in the fast lane I won't be in it..I treat it as a passing lane...I've been doin over 80mph and gotten over...I've been inthe lane over from the fast lane and still gotten over
Agree. Hanging out in the fastlane by yourself (I call it 'pace car-ing') is just going to get you some CHP attention.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
It is supposed to BE a passing lane only. If you go outside of major metro areas in Cali people understand this. In the Bay Area, traffic is obviously sufficient that people need to use it, but people are too self absorbed to care that anyone else exists, so they pull crap like this. I see it every day.

I had an instructor in traffic school a few years back say that he pretty much stayed in the #2 lane (1 over from fast lane) all the time more or less, and hadn't gotten a ticket in 13 years.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by PArex
Agree. Hanging out in the fastlane by yourself (I call it 'pace car-ing') is just going to get you some CHP attention.
"pace car-ing" Term Coined!!! I like it.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
12....car.....distance..... wut
Yeah, please tell me "12 car distance" is an exaggeration. That's what I call "texting buffer" and I ****ing hate that too.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
Its ok the other day i was in slight traffic going 65 in the fast lane keeping a car maybe 2 car length behind the guy infront of me. i look behind me and some ***** was tailgating me flipping me off all pissed of. She was literally maybe 5 feet or less from my bumper. She pulls up next to me so i was like im not letting her infront of me and i just kept going. She continues to do flay her arm around and flip me off. She literally cut off like 10 people to get maybe 8 car lengths ahead of me. Some people are just douche's lately.