If anyone is looking for a new TV...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by ruehl
what about this i know its probably crap but supposedly LG makes it and its dirt cheap

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218035133352
To be honest, It's probably more than enough TV for your mom. Go for it.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
I purchased a 50" Samsung plasma from Best Buy about 3 months back for $899.

I love the TV
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc

Crappy Iphone picture, but I think it shows the amount of depth with Contrast and the correct colors.

Definitely have been enjoying this years NFL season so far. Even though I've had great TVs for about 7 years now, I've been away from football. Making a big effort to watch, and always enjoy watching TV or movies at home.
Ummm....... our picture doesnt do that TV justice. Watching the GP2 race in person at your house however did do it justice. Clarity is out of this effing world........
Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by rau
Ummm....... our picture doesnt do that TV justice. Watching the GP2 race in person at your house however did do it justice. Clarity is out of this effing world........
and that's still standard def, just 16x9.

I'm waiting patiently for WRC to return state side on Discovery HD Theater. That's going to be nuts. Not sure when F1 will go HD, I'm sure they will someday.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
and that's still standard def, just 16x9.

I'm waiting patiently for WRC to return state side on Discovery HD Theater. That's going to be nuts. Not sure when F1 will go HD, I'm sure they will someday.
10/4 on HDT
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
My moms returned her ancient TV to costco and got a decent flat screen. I think I'm gonna have her return mine... haaaa. I guess if it was purchased before they changed their policy you can still return them.

Gonna return it and try to get something in the low to mid 40 inch range.

Hey Gagan... any recommendations on a smaller tv? I want to get a smaller tv for the bedroom.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
My moms returned her ancient TV to costco and got a decent flat screen. I think I'm gonna have her return mine... haaaa. I guess if it was purchased before they changed their policy you can still return them.

Gonna return it and try to get something in the low to mid 40 inch range.

Hey Gagan... any recommendations on a smaller tv? I want to get a smaller tv for the bedroom.
For the bedroom i have a 42" Vizio mounted on the wall. It's nothing special, other than it's pretty cheap, (at the time, $1000 in 2008) and I have it hooked up to ANT for over the air (we usually watch the news on it before bed and when we wake up.)

Also have it connected to my desktop and I watch DVD and Bluray, and my downloaded racing content off my PC. I just drag the stuff over to the extended desktop.

About costco and returns: Yes, if you bought it before the change in 2007, you can return it. If you have the receipt, they will give you 100% in value in either a Costco card or back to your AMEX if you bought it that way.

In May our DLP blew a bulb, and I could've just asked them for a bulb, which they would've sent, but my uncle did that for his DLP and the replacement bulb (OEM - NEW) blew like 2 week later... Costco TOLD HIM to just return the set, and so I just skipped that step and returned the set for a costco card. $2500 on the card, and just went to another costco that had the 58" Panasonic plasma I wanted (for $2500) and it was pretty much even steven...

For that size I'd recommend a Panny Plasma, Sony LCD, or Vizio LCD, in that order.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
10/4 on HDT
HOT DAMN!

Need to get it setup on my DVR!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Old School

Ray:

It's not shown online, but your local costco should have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma in the size you are looking for.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

Since you more than likely paid much more for the TV you are returning than the one you are buying, you are going to be pretty well off, no matter the price of the new set.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 09-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM

For that size I'd recommend a Panny Plasma, Sony LCD, or Vizio LCD, in that order.
Vizio is such bang for the buck.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I purchased a 50" Samsung plasma from Best Buy about 3 months back for $899.

I love the TV
I'm not a fan of their LCDs, but their Plasmas have a lot of merit. Usually more expensive than the Panasonic's, but wow, that's a really good price. Nice find Scott!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
Vizio is such bang for the buck.
So true.

I remember when we bought the 47" Galleria in 2007 for $1700 to have another 1080p set for the lab, and when we set it up and ran through AVIA on it were like, shocked, it looked better than the two Sharps we had paid like $5k for (like really early 1080p LCDs... utter crap). Vizios are simple, don't have the issues they used to have, and cheap... lots of value. The only LCDs i like better are Sony's, which are getting cheaper, which is good. I typically just cannot stand Samsung, Sharp and LG LCDs. Toshiba and Mits are fairly harmless, but not cheap or inspiring...
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM

So true.

I remember when we bought the 47" Galleria in 2007 for $1700 to have another 1080p set for the lab, and when we set it up and ran through AVIA on it were like, shocked, it looked better than the two Sharps we had paid like $5k for (like really early 1080p LCDs... utter crap). Vizios are simple, don't have the issues they used to have, and cheap... lots of value. The only LCDs i like better are Sony's, which are getting cheaper, which is good. I typically just cannot stand Samsung, Sharp and LG LCDs. Toshiba and Mits are fairly harmless, but not cheap or inspiring...
I love NEC. Their plasmas used to be amazing, but now they only do LCD. their LCDs are great, if a little expensive.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
WOW this is a cool deal. I just bought a new TV. I bought a 52inch SHARP lcd 1080p 120hz, I paid 1299.99 from costco. I love it but 54 inches would have been nice too.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Generally, you watch TV, I like looking at the Plasmas more than the LCD's...I think they are brighter and more "alive"

I also need a TV...maybe 2....but I can't figure out what size to get as my old 4:3 60" projection is large (1728 in.sq)...most of the letterbox have smaller screens, or are crazy expensive...disappointing.

Most brands are okay with me except Mitsubishi....they look like something is wrong, haha.

Last edited by AntiochCali; 09-22-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: If anyone is looking for a new TV...