i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   If anyone is looking for a new TV... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/if-anyone-looking-new-tv-210155/)

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 10:14 AM

If anyone is looking for a new TV...

[url]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11489109[/url]

It comes highly recommended by me. Wow, $1200. Man, this holiday season will be just CRAZY on electronics prices.

Lurk 09-21-2009 10:18 AM

That's a great deal. I bet if you wait until the Holidays they'll probably include a BluRay player in with that price.

BTW, what do you think of LED TV's? My plasma is 4yrs old and needs to be recharged. =/
For my next TV, I was thinking about getting an LG LED TV.

PikkaGTR 09-21-2009 11:22 AM

yeah the LG is local dimming so it will be a bit thicker than the Samsung ultraslim, but will have better picture quality.
OP--becareful buying electronics at Costco since they are resellers and have no MFGW. They can also sell you refurbished/reconditioned items without disclosure as they are not bound by retailer policies. I would recommend Besbuy or Atleast Fry's since they do purchase direct from the MFG.

fizay 09-21-2009 12:05 PM

some food for thought: 50" from the same product line for $719 w/ sears card

[url]http://***************/permadeal/24595/Panasonic-TC-P50S1-50-1080p-Plasma-HDTV-810-or-less-at-Sears[/url]

*********is SD.net

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Lurk;2722522]That's a great deal. I bet if you wait until the Holidays they'll probably include a BluRay player in with that price.

BTW, what do you think of LED TV's? My plasma is 4yrs old and needs to be recharged. =/
For my next TV, I was thinking about getting an LG LED TV.[/QUOTE]
Horrible if they have dynamic contrast like the Samsung 6000/7000/8000 tvs. Our CEO bought one for a newer TV for walk in customers here at the office and he didn't really ask us, just bought based on reviews. Well, let me tell you, I had that thing back to crutchfield in about 3 weeks.

Although LEDs will be nice and bright, and save on power, their placement needs to be done right to work right. Since many TVs these days have crazy processing gizmos like dynamic contrast, 240hz, motionflow correction, blah blah blah, it's hard to know what works and what doesnt. It's a marketing onslaught.

Over all, if you are looking for a TV, I HIGHLY recommend any of the new plasmas. Their half lives are now 100,000 hrs, and that's about 12 years at 5+hrs a day. They are not the plasmas of 4yrs ago. Besides, the prices are to die for right now, and for the next 1yr I see them going down slowly. They won't go down much farther, I can see a 50" being about $700 this holiday season and maybe the 54" being a $1000, but that's about it. Margins are getting to be pretty slim for retailers.

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=PikkaGTR;2722557]yeah the LG is local dimming so it will be a bit thicker than the Samsung ultraslim, but will have better picture quality.
OP--becareful buying electronics at Costco since they are resellers and have no MFGW. They can also sell you refurbished/reconditioned items without disclosure as they are not bound by retailer policies. I would recommend Besbuy or Atleast Fry's since they do purchase direct from the MFG.[/QUOTE]
What is your point?

Costco has a 90day return vs other stores 14day or 30day.
Costco warranties it for 2 years, better than most manufacturers 1 yr warranty.

And that **** is good too. You just call them, and they send out a tech to your home. I've used it before for my uncle.

Besides, why go and pay more at Frys? But more power to you if you wish, I guess.

Max Xevious 09-21-2009 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=fizay;2722596]some food for thought: 50" from the same product line for $719 w/ sears card

[url]http://***************/permadeal/24595/Panasonic-TC-P50S1-50-1080p-Plasma-HDTV-810-or-less-at-Sears[/url]

*********is SD.net[/QUOTE]

more than likely it was used by a spammer at some time.

slick deals dot net is the URL if anyone cares to look

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=fizay;2722596]some food for thought: 50" from the same product line for $719 w/ sears card

*********is SD.net[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/118629[/url]

Here another link for that deal.

HOLY CRAP WHAT A DEAL!

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2722629][url]http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/118629[/url]

Here another link for that deal.

HOLY CRAP WHAT A DEAL![/QUOTE]
"Normal price is back to $999.99. With HALFTIME coupon $899.99 - 10% (The 10% is a REBATE, and only if you use their credit card)= $810 (IF you get the rebate) without tax."

Hmmm... not such a crazy deal, but still a solid price at $910 for 50"

subaruwrx 09-21-2009 12:59 PM

Plasma is a bad investment now. LCD is almost as cheap and performs better.

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=subaruwrx;2722661]Plasma is a bad investment now. LCD is almost as cheap and performs better.[/QUOTE]
????

Care to explain?

what about things like moving resolution? Refresh Rates in time (ms)??

I'd love to know why you could possibly state something like that.

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 01:29 PM

Here is why I like Plasma much more than LCDs:

Plasma beats LCD in:

1) Contrast Ratio and what comes with it such as:
-Color (before or after calibration)
-Pixel Sharpness to the eye
-Image Depth

2) Refresh Rate in time (milliseconds). Typically .001ms on a plasma vs 3-5ms on an LCD.
- Therefore, much better retention of moving resolution, resolution that you see when there is fast action such as sports like Soccer, Hockey or Football.

3) Longevity- Panels are pushing 100,000hrs to half-life. Again, about 12yrs for 5+ hrs a day.

The only Drawbacks are power consumption (200-700W Varies on usage, settings and model of TV) and weight as plasmas tend to be about 30-40% heavier than a same sized LCD. Burn-in is not really an issue anymore...

subaruwrx 09-21-2009 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2722680]????

Care to explain?

what about things like moving resolution? Refresh Rates in time (ms)??

I'd love to know why you could possibly state something like that.[/QUOTE]

In no particular order
1) burn in
2) heat
3) power consumption
4) picture fade
5) durability

I buy all of them and I see a (potential) problem with burn in on plasma. Also, I have people who dont use plasma's 5 hours a day and 1 year later, they are noticibly dimmer. It sucks.

subaruwrx 09-21-2009 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2722690]Here is why I like Plasma much more than LCDs:

Plasma beats LCD in:

1) Contrast Ratio and what comes with it such as:
-Color (before or after calibration)
-Pixel Sharpness to the eye
-Image Depth

2) Refresh Rate in time (milliseconds). Typically .001ms on a plasma vs 3-5ms on an LCD.
- Therefore, much better retention of moving resolution, resolution that you see when there is fast action such as sports like Soccer, Hockey or Football.

3) Longevity- Panels are pushing 100,000hrs to half-life. Again, about 12yrs for 5+ hrs a day.

The only Drawbacks are power consumption (200-700W Varies on usage, settings and model of TV) and weight as plasmas tend to be about 30-40% heavier than a same sized LCD. Burn-in is not really an issue anymore...[/QUOTE]

Ive compared side by side the highest of the high end monitors and plasma still has an issue with burn in and brigtness. LCDs, while not being as clear for moving pictures, are so much better. The blacks and colors are just about as crisp as plasma and they are going to look that way for years to come.

LED or DLP is going to give you the best picture, why not get that?

joltdudeuc 09-21-2009 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=subaruwrx;2722695]In no particular order
1) burn in
2) heat
3) power consumption
4) picture fade
5) durability

I buy all of them and I see a (potential) problem with burn in on plasma. Also, I have people who dont use plasma's 5 hours a day and 1 year later, they are noticibly dimmer. It sucks.[/QUOTE]
You compared them where?

1) Burn in is NOT an issue for regular viewing anymore. Not for black bars, network logos, nothing. It would take grave negligence on a users part to burn in a plasma these days.

2) Heat? my 58" runs cooler than my old DLP, and definitely cooler than any CRT.

3) Yep, power consumption is a *****, but at 14 cents a KWh, it won't be more than $20-40/mo even for a heavy user.

4) Picture fade? 100,000hrs to half life. if someone has their settings very high, maybe that can be halved, but still at 50,000hrs we are talking years of time to half brightness.

5) Durability how? if you are talking about defects they are few and far between for all TV sets. less than 3% for any type of television today for DOA or other new unit failures.