View Poll Results: Yay or nay?
I think that's a great idea!
50.00%
That sounds ok, but ________ would be better (fill in blank)
41.67%
I don't have an opinion either way.
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Ideas for next year's BAM? (BAM X, suggestions for events)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Ideas for next year's BAM? (BAM X, suggestions for events)

I want to start organizing BAM X early so that everything is ready when it comes time to raise money, etc.

I want to do something special this year since it's our tenth annual event, and in honor of us being the oldest running annual subaru event in the world! We're also one of the largest regular gatherings of subies in the world, and that really says something!

An idea I had was to have a good old fashion competition, tournament style! Since we can't race our cars at stafford lake, I figured that we could do the next best thing... Race each other! I'm not talking about running either... I thought it would be really cool to rent one of those GIANT inflatable obstacle courses that you sometimes see at fairs and such. We had one at my grad night back in High School and it was def the most popular event at our grad night.

Something sort of like this:

I thought that instead of trophies I could collect prizes from vendors and hand them out to the three winners of the event, like a top 3 prize ceremony.

On the day of the event we could have a sign up sheet in a tournament style configuration and have people compete against each other, winner goes to the next round and faces winners. After we get to the top three we'll hand out prizes according places.

We could switch it up and be creative with this and have it set up like American gladiators where we have people on each side of the course with padded jousting sticks to try to slow the person who is competing down, just to make it more interesting and difficult.

I think this would be a really cool way to bring everyone together and I think it'd be awesome to place online enemies together! (For fun). Like iloqin vs flatline, and stuff like that.

What do you guys think about having an event like this at our next BAM? Just an FYI, I'm going to try to find a cooler weekend to do it on so that it's not so hot even though this last one wasn't too bad in terms of heat.

I have plenty more planned, and a lot of other ideas for other things, but this is what I was thinking about as our main fun event that everyone could participate in. We'll have some really cool prizes as always and we're still going to have the raffle that we do every year.

Please vote, and reply with your thoughts and ideas!

D-
Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Seems cool but people are gonna ***** about price and this will just raise the price of the event or put more financial stress on the vendors to make up for it.

I'd say just doing like a softball game on the field there or some kind of events that can be pulled off on the cheap would be cool.... unless we can get a vendor that specializes in these blow up things to donate the set up for the day to get their logo on the shirt or something like that.

But for me I'd have more fun doing something that gets me to hang out and talk with people not just heads up comp. Plus there's a lot of folks that aren't exactly athletes in the BAIC so this may not be their gig either in the heat of the day.

I'd say volleyball, softball, things like that that are already there. I'd say water games but I don't think people want to drive 2 hours to get home all stinky and wet.

I'd spend more time just working on the logistics of the event. Fine tuning. Regulating the food and drinks and entrance fees. Taking some financial burdon of the vendors. Asking them to cough up sick prizes and pay out the *** for a logo on a hoody is kinda rough. Maybe try to find a way that they can pay less for their slots so they'll be willing to have a repeat performance on the raffle prizes from last year.

I mean giving 2k to the animals is rad but that 2k could have went to paying for the event so vendors won't have to pony up so much to be a part of the event. And you wouldn't have pay for hoodies up front. Etc.

I can offer ideas in regards to this if you want.

This years event was pretty rad so I'd be happy with a repeat performance and some fine tuning. For me getting to hang out with people like Paul, Tommy, Cliff and guys I don't see very often anymore is what the event is all about for me. I don't care about hamburgers and obstacle courses.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 something
there not a "no i dont think its a good idea option"
Old 09-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
wouldn't those be a bit small for adults? I remember playing in one of those before lol
Old 09-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
BAM X = Auto-x course
Old 09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by perry753
wouldn't those be a bit small for adults? I remember playing in one of those before lol
Those photos aren't life size you know????????
Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by chubs22
BAM X = Auto-x course
Not at the location used this year... have to be a new location. This has been brought up like 9000 times.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Seems cool but people are gonna ***** about price and this will just raise the price of the event or put more financial stress on the vendors to make up for it.

I'd say just doing like a softball game on the field there or some kind of events that can be pulled off on the cheap would be cool.... unless we can get a vendor that specializes in these blow up things to donate the set up for the day to get their logo on the shirt or something like that.

But for me I'd have more fun doing something that gets me to hang out and talk with people not just heads up comp. Plus there's a lot of folks that aren't exactly athletes in the BAIC so this may not be their gig either in the heat of the day.

I'd say volleyball, softball, things like that that are already there. I'd say water games but I don't think people want to drive 2 hours to get home all stinky and wet.

I'd spend more time just working on the logistics of the event. Fine tuning. Regulating the food and drinks and entrance fees. Taking some financial burdon of the vendors. Asking them to cough up sick prizes and pay out the *** for a logo on a hoody is kinda rough. Maybe try to find a way that they can pay less for their slots so they'll be willing to have a repeat performance on the raffle prizes from last year.

I mean giving 2k to the animals is rad but that 2k could have went to paying for the event so vendors won't have to pony up so much to be a part of the event. And you wouldn't have pay for hoodies up front. Etc.

I can offer ideas in regards to this if you want.

This years event was pretty rad so I'd be happy with a repeat performance and some fine tuning. For me getting to hang out with people like Paul, Tommy, Cliff and guys I don't see very often anymore is what the event is all about for me. I don't care about hamburgers and obstacle courses.
I like the softball idea. To solve the not-so-athletic person problem wiffle ball is a good alternative. You could have mutliple games, cost is cheap, and its always fun.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Yeah I was thinking we could do like an alternate ball so people can play without gloves if they want. Like a rag ball or something like that. Wiffle ball is rad. More fun if there's a fence to hit HR's over though as the ***** tend to hang up when playing on a full field like that. Anything in the air is an out.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
My house FTW!! I got a huge pool, 2 hot tubs, a huge wet bar outside, a batting cage, and a MONSTER grill im my back yard!! the only problem I can see is the parking....
Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
My house FTW!! I got a huge pool, 2 hot tubs, a huge wet bar outside, a batting cage, and a MONSTER grill im my back yard!! the only problem I can see is the parking....
WTF do you do for a living cause I want in!!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
just throw a house party....
Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM

We always say we're going to do softball, etc but nothing ever becomes of it. These things dont cost that much to rent and I know I can get a deal on them due to my friend working at a place that sells/rents them.

It would be like the year where we had jousting and the giant slip and slide. You dont have to be athletic to use these things, it's all just for fun and everyone can do it.

These things are huge and its no problem for us to use... I can even use it and Im a giant.

I wish we had an AutoX but it requires sooooo much money, a different location, tons of insurance, paying NASA or SCCA for their cones/services... It's just not doable on the scale that we want. We have a lot of frugal members and there's no way that people would pay $50 or whatever each to get an Autox course going.

We can't do it for our annual meet, but someone could organize just an i-club auto-x day which would be a dedicated day for that. As far as BAM goes, there's no way it could happen without everyone shelling out a lot of dough and thats not gonna happen.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by soundwave
just throw a house party....
Yeah, seriously! I'll bring hot chicks with me!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by WRrex
there not a "no i dont think its a good idea option"
this.

Quick Reply: Ideas for next year's BAM? (BAM X, suggestions for events)