I want to sell my 07 STi and buy an EVO-X+

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
I love the shark mouth front end of the Evo X. If they had an Evo wagon, I'd be very tempted....

Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
yes! get one.

those things handle SHARP!!!!!

you hear those stories about subys being understeer pig, oh yes you know it once you drive an X.

and as far as the power diff.. this is where people dont see outside the lines..

reviews use an MR X to test against an STi in a straight line race. the MR only comes int hat wack automatic. of course the STi will kill it in a straight line.. the GSR MT EVO X is way faster in the straight line.

of course the MR has all the better suspension goodies i believe? youll have to check. dont know if that will effect the road course performance.

and power, every tuner knows the X or any EVO for that matter makes power so much easier than a subaru. just a few mods and thats it.

if your keeping it stock yes Sti, but when it comes to modding, the mitsu is where it is at.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by Lowend
Mistubishi has some of the worst QC in the industry... I'd put them just above Dodge.
Good ideas with bad execution

I'm on my 3rd Subaru without so much as a dead battery
your speaking in general, the EVO is their pride and joy and the only thing that is keeping them afloat. it handles more abuse esp with all the mods than the subies. their pass is prob overshadowing all the good things they are doing with the few cars they have in their line up.

oh yea, brucelee, what you willl miss is that beloved feeling of "family" in the community, because it is no where as tight knit with them or the mitsubishi family.

all they care about there is GOING FAST! i saw a thread where EVOs and DSMs were arguing, there is no closeness there.. you go fast, or go home.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Check out the 335i. 300hp engine with room for mods. BMW has done a great job at combining sporty with luxury. That's the 2nd car on my wishlist next to the STI hatch.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
mitsu trannies a turd.
What do you mean? The Evo VII/IX MR 6 speed is not that strong, but the 5 speed in all Evos is really strong.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
As always it depends on what you want...

I think Subarus are more forgivable, refined and easier to live with on day-to-day basis (and I heard cheaper to insure) if you do most of your spirited driving in the real world and not an avid auto-x/track junkie. Evos are better pure performance machines, but sacrifice some comfort, driveability and safety on public roads. Each car has its maintenance pluses and minuses (ex. engine work on Subarus and transmission work on Evos).

From the engineering perspective, it is hard to argue with Evo's closed deck engine design, larger stock trubo, plethora of electronic driver aids and ability to fit wider rims/tires.

And there is obviously the community difference, as it has already been mentioned. Most Evo owners I encounter these days have some sort of chip on their shoulder and only care about bragging rights, going faster and showing off. My DD is an Outback wagon with light suspension, drive train and exterior mods, but is bone stock slow in a straight line...yet for some reason every other Evo I encounter feels the necessity to rev on me, try to pull or do a fly by on me

Last edited by LxJLthr; 10-11-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
^ Yeah, the Evos are great auto-x/track cars. As for the X, it's definitely become easier to live with as a daily driver compared to the VIII/IX. I think the safety on the X is a lot better than before. Also, unlike the previous models, the engine in the X is semi-closed and not closed. However, the peak boost in my brother's X is around 30 psi and everything is going strong.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Car Info: N/A
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
As always it depends on what you want...

I think Subarus are more forgivable, refined and easier to live with on day-to-day basis (and I heard cheaper to insure) if you do most of your spirited driving in the real world and not an avid auto-x/track junkie. Evos are better pure performance machines, but sacrifice some comfort, driveability and safety on public roads. Each car has its maintenance pluses and minuses (ex. engine work on Subarus and transmission work on Evos).

From the engineering perspective, it is hard to argue with Evo's closed deck engine design, larger stock trubo, plethora of electronic driver aids and ability to fit wider rims/tires.

And there is obviously the community difference, as it has already been mentioned. Most Evo owners I encounter these days have some sort of chip on their shoulder and only care about bragging rights, going faster and showing off. My DD is an Outback wagon with light suspension, drive train and exterior mods, but is bone stock slow in a straight line...yet for some reason every other Evo I encounter feels the necessity to rev on me, try to pull or do a fly by on me
Attached Thumbnails I want to sell my 07 STi and buy an EVO-X+-haters-gonna-hate.gif  
Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
both super solid cars. neither one is a bad choice really. i prefer the 06-07 in white.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Nice write up:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...fferences.html
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wwrx
wow. I already knew all that, but thats probably the most well worded and succinct explanation about Suby motors Ive seen posted.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w
Ummmm...how does my reply make me a hater? I am confused?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
SK

Car Info: an EQ tuned box
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Community/crowd has never been a factor for me. Personally, I'm just as annoyed with all the F&F kids buzzing around in Imprezas.

If I would to buy an Evo, it's only because I want one, not because it would get me into the cool kids club.

Having said that, there's something about being the 'underdog'. Evo might be the better performer, but there's more to it with real enthusiasts.

People who ride understand this all too well. Just because you pulled up in the latest rocket ship doesn't mean you will out ride that guy with the dirty windscreen.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by G_Ride
What do you mean? The Evo VII/IX MR 6 speed is not that strong, but the 5 speed in all Evos is really strong.
I've heard the same thing from EVO owners, guess it's a reversed problem from the subaru.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by G_Ride
Kinda funny how the Subie 5sp is weak but the 6sp is bulletproof.

Quick Reply: I want to sell my 07 STi and buy an EVO-X+