I got $8K burning a hole in my pocket, someone talk me out of this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 AM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
very nice. congrats on the amazing purchase. i'm so glad someone on i-club was able to pick this up!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 AM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Yes!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
WOW dchoi. kudos. what'd the wifey say?! haha
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Car Info: Reason
Nice grab! I've got a set of 2 pots for the rear if you're ever interested...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
now that all the hate-mail and death threats have settled....

Thanks for the support - it's funny how people I don't even know are more interested and happy for me than my own brother (he's a c*cksucker anyways....). And as the car arrived I got a call from a buddy of mine and he is going to try and call in a favor to someone he knows at the DMV HQ in Sac....fingers crossed.

The car is here and unloaded. Here's some more pics:
Attached Thumbnails I got K burning a hole in my pocket, someone talk me out of this!!!-imag0167.jpg   I got K burning a hole in my pocket, someone talk me out of this!!!-imag0169.jpg   I got K burning a hole in my pocket, someone talk me out of this!!!-imag0174.jpg   I got K burning a hole in my pocket, someone talk me out of this!!!-imag0177.jpg  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
WOW dchoi. kudos. what'd the wifey say?! haha
yes....about that....I didn't just have 8 grand lying around (i'm not that fortunate). I had to convince the wife that this was a good deal, brought in a few friends and even had to show her some stuff on ebay to convince her that this was a good investment. After hours of pleading....I'll be honest - begging, she finally agreed.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by dchoi23
I thought I would share with all of you my story..... as I told the OP last Friday, I bought this car. I had already been in the market for something like this and the opportunity was a little too good to pass up, if it was real, and it is.

I had emailed and spoke to the seller over the phone a few times and we coordinated a date and time to meet up. but before I went out there I got the VIN # BNR3200xxxx, which is legit. He had MO plates on the car which is where his parents live currently and through my superior interwebs researching abilities, I also saw that the seller had a townhouse in LV, what he paid for it, when he bought and also saw that he recently sold - this ties in to what he told me - selling everything and moving to Japan.

I used some of my southwest credits and took the first flight out on a Sunday morning, 7am (Aug 8). I got in, rented a car for $25 on priceline.com and met with the seller at the storage facility by 10am near the border of Summerlin & LV.

He opened the storage container and there she was, covered in dust. Just to make sure this wasn't a 240sx in skyline badging, I took a closer look under the hood, inside the main cabin and the underbody. After 30+ minutes of looking carefully at this ride, I asked plenty of questions, etc, etc, etc....

Asked if the motor started (knowing it did not since that is what the ad said, he said, "you can try yourself". the motor cranked but did not start. As he suggested and I thought, bad fuel since it has been sitting for 8+ months.

We went to Mega Diner (used to be a Denny's) and spoke over some food - I gave him my word that I would buy it for his asking price if he gave me the original title - score! He gave me the title with the VIN and addressed to his parents place in MO. I got back to the airport and flew home - shortest Vegas trip evAR @ 3 hours. Was home by 330pm and in time to do laundry.

Cut a cashier's check and coordinated with a friend of mine to pick up the car and hand him the check - done. Friend is in the business of shipping cars over state lines, took it to his warehouse in LA, got two offers to buy it for $20K while filling up for gas in Barstow. Car arrives in the Bay Area tomorrow morning at 8am at my mechanics shop for a thorough look-thru and to also get it running.

Still not absolutely sure how I am going to register this car - talking to a friend who is a CHP Detective, a friend that works at DMV, a friend that lives in OR (out of state reg, maybe) and a few others that have gotten JDM vehicles in the US and successfully reg'd their cars/bikes. stay tuned.... AND if anyone knows a way and helps me get it Reg'd successfully, I'll give you $500 cash - REALLY. PM me.

At worst, she will become by garage queen and track ***** Stay tuned.....

Immediate plans are to upgrade the brakes (i.e. BBK and new wheels/tires). Pics from my HTC Incredible:
I got a guy give me a few mins to call him

he is the go to guy
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Awesome! congrats on your purchase, I think that's a pretty sweet deal for that car.

Mike
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Hey, when everything is settled, can you bring it out to the Gellert Meet sometime so that I can jizz, erm, sit in it please?
^^^This!! LOL!!

Congrats on the nice car!!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks again. the car just might be reg'd in Nevada soon....
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Car Info: MY03 WRX (SOLD)/1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 w/4.5" lift
Wow can't believe this was all legit but congrats...you are a lucky man. Hope to see the car in person one day.

-G
Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by dchoi23
Friend is in the business of shipping cars over state lines, took it to his warehouse in LA, got two offers to buy it for $20K while filling up for gas in Barstow.
I know u declined their offers, but just curious, what did u say to them? What price would be an offer u couldn't refuse?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
I know u declined their offers, but just curious, what did u say to them? What price would be an offer u couldn't refuse?
i didn't refuse their offers personally. the truck driver told me about it over the phone and took their names and numbers for me.

i honestly haven't owned this thing long enough to think about selling it. i'm a sensible guy though.... if either of those two buyers brought me $20k cash, i'd probably sell it..... then i'd be the guy with the shortest vegas trip (3 hrs) and the shortest ownership of a skyline....
Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I got one sitting in the shop now...did a timing belt last year, working on the A/C system today.
That engine sounds soooo noice!!
Now, if I could just stop punching the driver's door when I go to shift, I'd be set....
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
BTW... I have various repair manuals in pdf format.

Quick Reply: I got $8K burning a hole in my pocket, someone talk me out of this!!!