How to get into roadracing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
How to get into roadracing?

I would like to get into roadracing for fun, but even after going to SCCA, thunderhill and Infineon's sites I'm not sure where to begin. My questions are about getting myself into it, as well as setting up the car.

1. Driving registration: I saw a link off of Thunderhill for their HPD school, $155 or something like that, but it doesn't list a date. Have any of you gone to this? The schools I see off NASA and SCCA's sites seem to be geared towards getting a license and are 3 day events costing 500-800 dollars. How should I go about getting myself into a HPD school?

2. Car setup: I've got an STI TMIC/injectors/vf30 going in soon but I am afraid running increased boost will make my car prone to overheating, perhaps I should just put on the TMIC for better cooling and leave my turbo unmodified for now? (I've got ECUtek) How much will the PWR upgraded radiator, lower temp thermostat help? For brakes, I will need more rugged brake pads, correct? What about larger rotors and accesories such as SS brake lines and racing brake fluid?

It's not so much better performance, I would just like the car to survive a track day without breaking down.

Maybe we can get a few of us i-club n00bs together to go together as well...

Thanks,
Ambert
Old 12-17-2004, 03:21 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by verc
I would like to get into roadracing for fun, but even after going to SCCA, thunderhill and Infineon's sites I'm not sure where to begin. My questions are about getting myself into it, as well as setting up the car.
We had a track day back in early October at Thunderhill for a pretty decent price. It was hosted by UnlimitedLaps. It was posted in this forum and was pretty successful. I forget the exact number of i-Club members who participated but it was more than 30 members/cars. To help keep the cost per car owner reasonable, several i-Club vendors stepped up to help sponsor the event. It's quite a chore coordinating a track day, as members are constantly dropping out as the day draws closer. While we all understand that things happen, the number of participants is important to figure out the final cost to the members.

These track days are the best way to get seat time on a track without breaking your wallet. There are always instructors who ride along with the novice drivers - this is mandatory for safety reasons but as your driving ability improves you can drive solo or take a passenger along. Most, if not all, of the track days that you see posted on this board are for getting seat time on a track and is not actually racing. Drivers are allowed to pass in different areas of the track according to their skill level but the emphasis is on improving skills, not competition.

Yes, getting an SCCA competition license has different requirements geared more towards racing AND safety.

It isn't necessary to mod your car for track days, although it's always more fun to have the extra power or better brakes and handling. Above all, your car must be reliable. Better brakes are suggested as the stock WRX brakes can fade quickly after just a few hard stops, depending on how much time they have between corners to cool down. Check the Brakes forum for different upgrades ranging from pads, fluid, and lines, to big brake kits. For stock or mildly modded Imprezas, changing pads, fluid, and front brake lines is usually good enough for the novice driver.

Other than making sure your car is mechanically sound with no fluid leaks, you'll also have to have a Snell-rated helmet (can sometimes be rented at the track), working seat belts, tires with decent tread and proper inflation, and windows that operate properly. Most of those track day web sites have more details.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
I agree with Wingless.

I have been to two track days and still consider myself a total n00b, similar to the unlimited lap thing (though not suby specific). I went to a NASA HPDE event at Sears Point (Infineon) and The Thunderhill Driving School, at thunderhill, in that order. They were both a lot of fun, but I'd highly recommend the Thunderhill one for a couple of reasons. Although much farther from me, the track felt a lot safer. There were no walls or steep hills in the curves like at Sears Point, and it felt more relaxed. It is also a more viewable track, and felt better run. Also there was less time between runs. When I went to the NASA event, I think something like 7 cars crashed (one of which was RSTurbo's), and it looked like a couple of those were totalled while some of them were simply very damaged. At the tunderhill one, nobody crashed!

As far as when they are, simply go to www.thunderhill.com and look on the left panel. It lists the next date there "The Next High Performance Driving School Is January 16th. 2005. All Groups Available" - It is $195 but it includes lunch and food after the event. You also get a free shirt afterwards.

It is hard to actually take in what your learning if your constantly scared, or worried about crashing, and I felt a lot more relaxed at thunderhill. As far as what you need in the car, or to do to the car, you really don't need to do anything. I have an 99 OBS which is largely stock (new wheels and RSB) and had a great time. Sure its hard to pass people on the straigts simply because they have so much more power, but it isn't a race, its just for fun, and I did fairly well in the turns. You have a much more powerful car than me, and its probably better handling and better at braking (I have drums in the rear tho I can't go as fast).

So as far as upgrading things go, IMO, you'll be perfectly fine going with what you've got, and maybe after your first one, you'll have a better Idea of what you need to do, but again, stock should be fine!

THe most important thing is simply to have fun!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by verc

2. Car setup: I've got an STI TMIC/injectors/vf30 going in soon but I am afraid running increased boost will make my car prone to overheating, perhaps I should just put on the TMIC for better cooling and leave my turbo unmodified for now? (I've got ECUtek) How much will the PWR upgraded radiator, lower temp thermostat help? For brakes, I will need more rugged brake pads, correct? What about larger rotors and accesories such as SS brake lines and racing brake fluid?

It's not so much better performance, I would just like the car to survive a track day without breaking down.

Maybe we can get a few of us i-club n00bs together to go together as well...

Thanks,
Ambert
I think the guys above have covered the what to do to get out there part but I would like to mention in regards to number 2 (quoted above). When you install your new setup and go back to your tuner be sure to tell him what your intended use is for the car, although it should not matter with a EcuTek due to it's ability to account for most things that may happen on the track it is still better to let the guys tuning know what your going to be doing so they can really put it through it's paces to make sure all will be ok come lap 100 at 110 degress at T-Hill.

Mike
Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
You get out on the freeway and look for the most psycho drivers in the jankiest cars you can fine. Put a huge melon shooter exhaust on and buzz them when you go buy. This is how the races start.

When you've beaten all of those tools and you still need a thrill, do the same thing to the new CHP Camaros.

When you whip all the CHP Camaros, then you are ready for Davon.

jason

Last edited by mmboost; 12-17-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon, 05 S4 Sedan, 05 WRX (sold)
to get into roadracing:

1)go to the Thunderhill school. its awesome if you go you will learn a lot.
2)go the Thundehill school as much as you can, if you got funds go to a pro school like Russel or Barber
3)talk to people at thunderhill (instructors) they all race
4)Take license school in march for SCCA
5)buy a cheap *** rx-7 NA, or Miata - race prep and race it.

be ready to spend loads of cash :-)

done.

if you will be modifying your WRX it won't do much for you in terms of competative road racing - you need to know the class, etc you wont to run. for example a bigger turbo is prohibited in most touring classes, and it the ones its allowed you will get own3d by much more expnsive/better prepped cars.

if you want to go to track days, then maybe mod - but i wouldn't touch the engine i would learn how to drive first, do tires/wheels/suspension/brakes and then the engine.

Clif Notes:
learn to drive on stock car then mod if want to do track days. if want to compete buy a dedicate race car for cheap to learn. SCCA + Thunderhill school = teh win
Old 12-17-2004, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by mmboost

jason
+1 for mmboost
Old 12-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mmboost
You get out on the freeway and look for the most psycho drivers in the jankiest cars you can fine. Put a huge melon shooter exhaust on and buzz them when you go buy. This is how the races start.

When you've beaten all of those tools and you still need a thrill, do the same thing to the new CHP Camaros.

jason

Gotcha. So this is like Punchout, right? Except I've got Davon instead of Mike Tyson?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by kravdra
I agree with Wingless.

I have been to two track days and still consider myself a total n00b, similar to the unlimited lap thing (though not suby specific). I went to a NASA HPDE event at Sears Point (Infineon) and The Thunderhill Driving School, at thunderhill, in that order. They were both a lot of fun, but I'd highly recommend the Thunderhill one for a couple of reasons. Although much farther from me, the track felt a lot safer. There were no walls or steep hills in the curves like at Sears Point, and it felt more relaxed. It is also a more viewable track, and felt better run. Also there was less time between runs. When I went to the NASA event, I think something like 7 cars crashed (one of which was RSTurbo's), and it looked like a couple of those were totalled while some of them were simply very damaged. At the tunderhill one, nobody crashed!

As far as when they are, simply go to www.thunderhill.com and look on the left panel. It lists the next date there "The Next High Performance Driving School Is January 16th. 2005. All Groups Available" - It is $195 but it includes lunch and food after the event. You also get a free shirt afterwards.

It is hard to actually take in what your learning if your constantly scared, or worried about crashing, and I felt a lot more relaxed at thunderhill. As far as what you need in the car, or to do to the car, you really don't need to do anything. I have an 99 OBS which is largely stock (new wheels and RSB) and had a great time. Sure its hard to pass people on the straigts simply because they have so much more power, but it isn't a race, its just for fun, and I did fairly well in the turns. You have a much more powerful car than me, and its probably better handling and better at braking (I have drums in the rear tho I can't go as fast).

So as far as upgrading things go, IMO, you'll be perfectly fine going with what you've got, and maybe after your first one, you'll have a better Idea of what you need to do, but again, stock should be fine!

THe most important thing is simply to have fun!

thanks. I don't particularily feel like gunning it of course. Thunderhill's site says "all runs will be at 70%" anyways.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:38 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Kart a lot. Being able to drive a kart at speed translates directly into car control.

HPDE days are a great way to get into road racing. Just don't expect to run your WRX in a real series. You'll probably have to get a dedicated track car if you wanna race SCCA or NASA. Almost every mod you do to go faster on the track will make your car less optimal for the street.

I got into this in September and I've done 6 track days and am now starting to time my laps at Infineon.

There is a track day January 1st at Infineon with 2+ hours of track time (a huge amount considering NASA gives you 80min/day). Email me if youre interested and I will give you more information as for track days in 2005 and sites to check, etc.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:42 AM

Car Info: BMW X5M. No more twinscroll LGT
I just got back from Streets of willow yesterday during a redlinetrackevents.com event. It was fantastic...great to have the STi on such a small tight track too.

Smurf - send me the details for January 1 at Infineon, I'm in.