How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
Originally Posted by stimul8n
agreed.
disagreed.
when they start ticketing people for driving two slow and cutting people off, I'll agree. Cupertino/San Jose/ Sunnyvale drivers don't speed much and it is not a safe place to drive. On the other hand, SF drivers are nuts and I feel so much safer.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy Dan
disagreed.
when they start ticketing people for driving two slow and cutting people off, I'll agree. Cupertino/San Jose/ Sunnyvale drivers don't speed much and it is not a safe place to drive. On the other hand, SF drivers are nuts and I feel so much safer.
what does slow drivers and cutting people off have anything to do with someone admitting that they were speeding and not wanting to pay the fine?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:45 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
Originally Posted by stimul8n
what does slow drivers and cutting people off have anything to do with someone admitting that they were speeding and not wanting to pay the fine?
the difference is that I feel driving should be about safety.... and i thinkk it's bs that people get tickets for speeding under safe conditions.... wheras other people DON'T get tickets yet they are being totally unsave

I was driving on 280 a month ago.... it was 3am... and there were absolutely 0 cars on the road... I really don't think it's reasonable that someone at that time of night in those conditions receive a ticket for driving any speed under 110 mph..... yet, if a police officer was on the side of the road, he'd give a ticket in a heart beat.

sorry... it just pisses me off.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Car Info: R.I.P. '02 WR Blue Pearl, Hello '05 OBP STi
Hey thanks for the advice guys...

And a lot of you seem to think that it's MY ticket...Really it's not. I would actually just say that it was mine and I'd have a story about it. My friend who got the ticket has already asked on his forum on how to get the fine and the mph reduced on the ticket. I was just seeing if there were any other options out that only Subaru enthusiasts would know about.

Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by Heavy Dan
the difference is that I feel driving should be about safety.... and i thinkk it's bs that people get tickets for speeding under safe conditions.... wheras other people DON'T get tickets yet they are being totally unsave

I was driving on 280 a month ago.... it was 3am... and there were absolutely 0 cars on the road... I really don't think it's reasonable that someone at that time of night in those conditions receive a ticket for driving any speed under 110 mph..... yet, if a police officer was on the side of the road, he'd give a ticket in a heart beat.

sorry... it just pisses me off.
Oh come on. You mean to tell me that it perfectly safe to be going 110 on 280 @ 3AM. Theres no chance that you could come up on a car with broken rear tail lights, or someone come over the divider and nail you. Not to mention the fact that at 110 you are very likely outdriving your headlights.

Why do you need to be coming 110? Are you in THAT much of a hurry at 3AM? Do you have to be the first one in the bakery in the morning or something?

Unless you have some sort of emergency, theres absolutely no need to being going 110 ever, especially at night. You would deserve that ticket.

But, instead of this guy's buddy manning up about doing something wrong, he plans to waste my tax dollars fighting it. Yours too. And yes, the idiot SF drivers **** me off too, and I'd be happy to have them ticketed too.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Car Info: R.I.P. '02 WR Blue Pearl, Hello '05 OBP STi
Originally Posted by mcowger

But, instead of this guy's buddy manning up about doing something wrong, he plans to waste my tax dollars fighting it. Yours too. And yes, the idiot SF drivers **** me off too, and I'd be happy to have them ticketed too.
I just wanted to say that he wants to get his fine reduced and not totally have the thing taken away . He knew he was going too fast but not 100mph+ fast like the CHP said he was. So it's not really about "manning up" but more getting the correct call.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:50 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
So where is his info or the forum he posted it on? It is good to see what violations people get written up under.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 AM

Car Info: Nadda
I'm not sure but I've heard rumors that all CHP have to go to court. I think they run in pairs, so they have a witness.... good luck with it, but if you go to court I think you will lose.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just point out the most obvious.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:55 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by iLoqin
....if you go to court I think you will lose.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just point out the most obvious.
I think it depends on what he's looking to acheive by going to court.

100mph+ is a 2-point infraction, if he just pays the ticket without showing in court there is no way he can get traffic school and insurance will either drop him outright ( a lot of companies will) or jack his premiums.

But if he shows in court and manages to convince the judge he wasn't into triple digits he has an outside chance of getting it reduced.

If he shows up and the citing officer doesn't, he walks, not likely- but it is the best possible outcome.

So go to court and you might still lose, but if he doesn't go to court there is no question he loses.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by mcowger
Oh come on. You mean to tell me that it perfectly safe to be going 110 on 280 @ 3AM. Theres no chance that you could come up on a car with broken rear tail lights, or someone come over the divider and nail you. Not to mention the fact that at 110 you are very likely outdriving your headlights.
Why do you need to be coming 110? Are you in THAT much of a hurry at 3AM? Do you have to be the first one in the bakery in the morning or something?
Unless you have some sort of emergency, theres absolutely no need to being going 110 ever, especially at night. You would deserve that ticket.
Hahaha I hit 155mph on my CBR600F4 on 280... with no traffic it is relatively safe with the exception of a random Deer or two.

But seriously, with regard to this ticket, I'd fight it by mail unless a court appearance is mandatory. Only reference the Vehicle Code you were sighted for, and not the speed. If the cop doesn't write a statement, you win.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM

I thought that it is a felony offense to go over 100mph? Or am I mis-informed?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
When I was like 18, I was hangin out with some friends, and some wannabe thug that happened to not like one of my buddies was behind us and decided to rush the car. We got out and talked a little **** to these punks. They realized they were out numdered and one of these pieces of **** pulled out a foot long rambo knife. We decided it wasn't worth if so we got back in the car and started to drive away. These ***s started to follow us so I got on the highway and easily pulled away. A few miles down the road was a CHP parked alongside the highway. I've never been happier to see a cop, the second I saw him I pulled over and stopped. We explained to him our situation, but he didn't duy it. He wrote me a ticket for 90 in a 60(We were really going like 120) wich was a little over 300 bucks backi in like 1997. The funny thing is my friend who was the one that this started over ended up getting hit over the head witha a chain and padlock the next day. So naturally I had to make a police statement explaining what had happened prior. I still had to pay the ticket but the little ****ers had to spend the next few years in cya. . Oh well, pardon my rant

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 01-22-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:25 PM

Red face

Ah Ignorance is Bliss!!
Well some advice from somebody that just went to court (and Lost-cop showed up) I pleaded my case (which was alot less than 100+) and even though I lost the judge reduced the fine by 50% and offered me school (which I was not eligable for). Your best bet is absolutely go to court and hope that the cop is AWOL, if he shows plead a semi-reasonable case and when it fails, and it will, basically give a brief summation and ask for mercy from the court. You were doing the speed, pay the fine and take school. To do otherwise could cost you way more in the end (raised insurance premiums etc...) and be glad you did not get the bigger problem (impounding etc...). You did the crime now pay the piper and hope for "no show"
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by SpdingTktsInc
Ah Ignorance is Bliss!!
Well some advice from somebody that just went to court (and Lost-cop showed up) I pleaded my case (which was alot less than 100+) and even though I lost the judge reduced the fine by 50% and offered me school (which I was not eligable for). Your best bet is absolutely go to court and hope that the cop is AWOL, if he shows plead a semi-reasonable case and when it fails, and it will, basically give a brief summation and ask for mercy from the court. You were doing the speed, pay the fine and take school. To do otherwise could cost you way more in the end (raised insurance premiums etc...) and be glad you did not get the bigger problem (impounding etc...). You did the crime now pay the piper and hope for "no show"
If a court appearance is not mandatory (should say on the ticket), fight it by written declaration first. If you lose, you get to request a court appearance in person. Two chances at winning are better than one.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by kira
I thought that it is a felony offense to go over 100mph? Or am I mis-informed?
You were mis-informed, it isn't a felony but the penalty gets pretty severe, especially if you repeat the offense;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22348.htm

note that the wording has been changed quite a lot this year...

Last edited by psoper; 01-21-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket