How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
My ticket for 105 was $450... i lowered it to 95 and i believe it dropped to 180-250.
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
pretty much automatic.

dude with the ticket issue. You're very lucky you didn't get hammered. Inpound/arrest. $1000 fine. I heard something along the lines of that being a CA deal now. Basically I'd say just go to court. Claim you weren't goin over a 100. Tell the truth. Tell the guy you are very possitive you were not going 100 and tell the judge how fast you were going...admit to wrong doing. Maybe he'll be nice and let you pay the ticket for 90's. Won't be cheap but you'll keep your lisense.

100 mph laws...far as I can remember them. But I've also heard what I said previous to be true...but the following is what the book says. Tell us what citation number you got and we can be more accurate.

First offense is $500 fine and month suspension of lisense. maximum. least it was for 04.

be happy the officer didn't tag on a reckless citation.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
You need to post your "friend's" ticket info, specifically the violation(s) written on the ticket and whether it says Radar or paced or any other notes.
If it says paced, your friend should go to court and request the police vehicle used have it speedometer checked for accuracy by an independent 3rd party.
Since no speedometer, except high end race ones are accurate above 100mph, it will come back a little off, and therefore not an accurate gauge of your speed.
Really, your friend needs a lawyer that is good at fighting the speeding system to get off completely.
Since that would cost more than the ticket, you probably won't go that way.
Once you post all the ticket info, better advice can be given.
Like if it doesn't say radar or paced, you could be lucky.
Or if it is written up under the basic speed law instead of the specific over 100 violation.
Of course, if you friend admitted to speeding to the officer, there isn't much point in fighting it except to get lucky or maybe convince the judge to reduce the fine.
Without more details it is really hard to give worthwhile advice.

Here is the best advice of all though:
How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket?
Don't ever go within 20mph of 100mph, and then you'll never have to ask that question.

Last edited by mikkyo; 01-17-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:11 PM

Don't ever go within 20mph of 100mph, and then never you'll never have to ask that question.

I used to think the SAME thing.... but it is so far from the truth.... I was pulled over at 125 and now feel that you should ammend that statement....

Don't ever go between 80 and 130... there's no way he could have caught me at 150....
Old 01-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy Dan
Don't ever go within 20mph of 100mph, and then never you'll never have to ask that question.

I used to think the SAME thing.... but it is so far from the truth.... I was pulled over at 125 and now feel that you should ammend that statement....

Don't ever go between 80 and 130... there's no way he could have caught me at 150....
i got pulled over by a bike cop...and i was doin 130-135mph ..... in my integra.

He just put down 99+mph on my ticket...but that was years ago, when they were alot easier on this sorta crazy driving.

i heard of a guy over on I-5 doin 150+ in his cobra, gettin pulled over a few weeks ago...that musta felt BADDDDD.

Last edited by MARKSTI; 01-17-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Car Info: ass-pan bug eye :D
you could try scheduling for court and then re-scheduling twice. the cop may decide to just forget about it after you not showing up twice.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:52 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon

Don't ever go between 80 and 130...
That is pretty much the way it is, below 80 and you're almost guaranteed to be able to take traffic school, provided you haven't in the last 18 months, beyond that and you're at the mercy of the judge.

there's no way he could have caught me at 150....

Oh yeah? so you have some cloaking device or something?

Radio waves travel at 186,000 miles per second, cops all have radio- its a lot harder to out run than you might think.

If you want to spend time going over 100 without the danger of losing your license, go sign up for one of these;

www.openroadracing.com

www.silverstateclassic.com
Old 01-17-2005, 01:47 PM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
Not to be a jerk, but light is 186,000 miles per second. Radar is quite a bit slower.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7367.Ph.r.html
Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by STIdevildog
How are you going to fight the ticket when he was going 95 anyways? Have him pay the ticket and go to traffic school.
In california you can't go to traffic school for a ticket + 25 MPH over the posted speed limit. I just finished my traffic school this weekend...

-Noah
Old 01-17-2005, 02:19 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.

my buddy got nailed at 163mph in the wonderful Inland Empire.

You might be able to outrun the cars and the bikes....but not the motorolas and the helicopters. Least not on the interstate.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
i got a 98 a month before i moved to maryland.. i would suggest your buddy do the same thing... maybe head a bit more south the ATL has fine honeys and warm weather...

49 more states to go... haha
Old 01-17-2005, 08:53 PM

dude... i was kidding... i've seen people run from cops... but i'd never do it... that's nuts
Originally Posted by psoper
That is pretty much the way it is, below 80 and you're almost guaranteed to be able to take traffic school, provided you haven't in the last 18 months, beyond that and you're at the mercy of the judge.

Oh yeah? so you have some cloaking device or something?

Radio waves travel at 186,000 miles per second, cops all have radio- its a lot harder to out run than you might think.

If you want to spend time going over 100 without the danger of losing your license, go sign up for one of these;

www.openroadracing.com

www.silverstateclassic.com
Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cdawg
Not to be a jerk, but light is 186,000 miles per second. Radar is quite a bit slower.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7367.Ph.r.html
Um, with all due respect, I think it is you who needs to go back to the blackboard doctor, but just going by what's in the article you referenced:
Note that radio waves travel through air about c = 3*10**8 m/s.

I'll let you do the math, but radar and radio and light are all electromagnetic waves and they all propogate or travel through space at the speed of light.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Get LIC'd...?
In california you can't go to traffic school for a ticket + 25 MPH over the posted speed limit. I just finished my traffic school this weekend...

-Noah
Congratulations on finishing your traffic school, but man I hate it when you guys make me look crap like this up;

Court-Ordered Driving Instruction

CMVC 42005. (a) The court may order any person convicted of a traffic violation to attend a traffic violator school licensed pursuant to Chapter 1.5 (commencing with Section 11200) of Division 5.

(b) In lieu of adjudicating a traffic offense, and with the consent of the defendant, or after conviction of a traffic offense, the court may order any person issued a notice to appear for a traffic violation to attend a traffic violator school licensed pursuant to Chapter 1.5 (commencing with Section 11200) of Division 5.

(c) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (d), any person so ordered may choose the traffic violator school the person will attend. The court shall make available to each person subject to such an order the current list of traffic violator schools published by the department pursuant to Section 11205.

(d) In those counties where, prior to January 1, 1985, one or more....blah blah blah

(e) A county described in Section 28023 of the Government Code may ....blah, blah blah...

(f) Notwithstanding subdivision (b), a court may not order a person to attend traffic violator school in lieu of adjudicating an offense if the person was issued a notice to appear for a serious traffic violation, as defined in subdivision (i)……

TRAFFIC SCHOOL ATTENDANCE

AB 3049, Chaptered 952, amends numerous VC sections
Requires the provisions of VC §1808.3 or 42005 to be considered before the court could dismiss a complaint due to completing a traffic school course.

AB 3049; Section 545.

(p) "Serious traffic violation" includes any of the following:
(1) Excessive speeding, as defined pursuant to the federal
Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act (P.L. 99-570) involving any
single offense for any speed of 15 miles an hour or more above the
posted speed limit.

So maybe the law is a little more leniant for non-commercial operators... but for them the letter of the law is explicit: >15 over=no traffic school.

(I don't have the patience to dig through the whole of AB 3049, its like 50 pages of legaleze, yuck!)
Old 01-18-2005, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=psoper]Congratulations on finishing your traffic school, but man I hate it when you guys make me look crap like this up;

SO TRUE.....

[QUOTE=psoper] So maybe the law is a little more leniant for non-commercial operators... but for them the letter of the law is explicit: >15 over=no traffic school.

DUDE... that having been said... your both wrong.... in CA you can't go to traffic school for a two point ticket. You CAN go to traffic school for ANY 1 point ticket but you may just need to request it in court. If driving on a 65 mph, a 1 point ticket is anything 100mph or less (i.e. <101). A judge my authorize ANY person to go to traffic school as long as the ticket is 1 point.

I used to drive a lot (35k+ miles per year) and I've received a few speeding tickets... I recently received a speeding ticket for 105 mph and got it reduced to 95 mph (the cop was full of it).... I then IMMEDIATELY went to traffic school.
(for the mathematically impaired 95 - 65 = 30)

.... how the hell do you guys talk about this stuff without having experienced it first?!? It really pisses me off when people post incorrect information
Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mcowger
How about your buddy take responsibility for being a dangerous driver and just pay the ticket, rather than waste my (and his) tax dollars fighting something for which he agrees he is guilty.
agreed.

Quick Reply: How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket