How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Car Info: R.I.P. '02 WR Blue Pearl, Hello '05 OBP STi
How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket

Do you guys have any advice for a guy who's trying to fight a 103 mph speeding ticket?

My friend was coming back from Fresno on 99 and CHP supposedly caught him doing 103 when he swore he was doing 95. There was no radar involved or anything.

Did CHP judge the speed and just issued the ticket? And do you guys have any advice on how to lower the fine?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
How are you going to fight the ticket when he was going 95 anyways? Have him pay the ticket and go to traffic school. Lucky the cop didn't tow the car and have him pay even more fines. You could have him go to court but the judge will not buy it if he was going 95 anyways and will just add court costs.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 PM

ticket assasin
Old 01-16-2005, 10:49 PM

Car Info: Its a gross polluter : (
go to court and pray the cop doesnt show up
Old 01-16-2005, 11:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
damn, i wouldnt go past 80 on 99
Old 01-16-2005, 11:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Send the cop a box of donuts and a thank you card for not taking him to jail + impounding his car?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:25 PM

i got lucky

i got a ticket for 107 in a 65 in nevada, i didn't have my license yet (only my permit) i lived in cali like i do now, i paid the ticket, it never went on my record and haven't heard anything about it since

this doesn't really help your situation though
Old 01-17-2005, 09:06 AM

go to court..which i assume he has to do for going that fast...and be real nice to the judge.

i got caught doin a little faster then ur buddy...on 101 North in Marin,
they yanked my license for 2 months and gave me a $500 fine, but that was 8 years ago.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
I agree with the group here as far as going to court. However, try to schedule you appearance at the opposite time that you were pulled over. So if you were ticketed at 7pm, get an appearance at 7am. The concept behind this is that the cop won't show up, as he will probably be sleeping, not working, fishing, whatever.

Oh, and not to plug, but I heard about this a few years ago on talk radio, it might come in handy for you.. http://www.copouts.com

Just a thought....

Last edited by cdawg; 01-17-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by MARKSTI
go to court..which i assume he has to do for going that fast...and be real nice to the judge.

i got caught doin a little faster then ur buddy...on 101 North in Marin,
they yanked my license for 2 months and gave me a $500 fine, but that was 8 years ago.
pretty much automatic.

dude with the ticket issue. You're very lucky you didn't get hammered. Inpound/arrest. $1000 fine. I heard something along the lines of that being a CA deal now. Basically I'd say just go to court. Claim you weren't goin over a 100. Tell the truth. Tell the guy you are very possitive you were not going 100 and tell the judge how fast you were going...admit to wrong doing. Maybe he'll be nice and let you pay the ticket for 90's. Won't be cheap but you'll keep your lisense.

100 mph laws...far as I can remember them. But I've also heard what I said previous to be true...but the following is what the book says. Tell us what citation number you got and we can be more accurate.

First offense is $500 fine and month suspension of lisense. maximum. least it was for 04.

be happy the officer didn't tag on a reckless citation.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by cdawg
I agree with the group here as far as going to court. However, try to schedule you appearance at the opposite time that you were pulled over. So if you were ticketed at 7pm, get an appearance at 7am. The concept behind this is that the cop won't show up, as he will probably be sleeping, not working, fishing, whatever.

Oh, and not to plug, but I heard about this a few years ago on talk radio, it might come in handy for you.. http://www.copouts.com

Just a thought....
That theory doesn't work. The court will give YOU a time to show up . They will choose a time that is listed on the officers schedule as his court day, which is likely one of his days off, and he is therefore getting paid time and a half. He has PLENTY of incentive to show up.

How about your buddy take responsibility for being a dangerous driver and just pay the ticket, rather than waste my (and his) tax dollars fighting something for which he agrees he is guilty.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
Originally Posted by WRXRambo
Do you guys have any advice for a guy who's trying to fight a 103 mph speeding ticket?

My friend was coming back from Fresno on 99 and CHP supposedly caught him doing 103 when he swore he was doing 95. There was no radar involved or anything.

Did CHP judge the speed and just issued the ticket? And do you guys have any advice on how to lower the fine?
I received 105 in a 65... which is two points.... I got it lowered to 95 points and then requested traffic school. That, I believe, is your best bet. He should go into court (I just lost a ticketassin case) and apologize whole heartedly for speeding and insist that he was not going over 100. Especially with a paced ticket... it is usually necessary to give the driver a few mph in his/her favor.
There are two sections to the law... one is stated as >100 (section b)... that is two points. so, as long as you can bring it to 100 or less... you can go to traffic school.
When coming into court he may have an additional case on the matter. Fresno, not unlike other parts of that area have cops that just write up tickets and tend to make a lot of mistakes. If you look at the ticket, you may find that beneath the radar?/patrol #? box there is nothing written. Because it is your case that the officer misread the speed of your ticket, he must prove that his car has been calibrated properly. So, if he hasn't written his patrol car #, then he is incapable of proving that his car was calibrated properly because he can't even prove what car he was driving. In the interest of justice, they SHOULD throw out the ticket... but because the fresno judge is probably disorderly, he won't let you throw it out, but you most definitely can get it lowered below 100

I hope that made sense and wasn't too scattered... i'm a wee tired

Last edited by Heavy Dan; 01-17-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
ps... PM me if you'd like additional advice etc.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
my brother in law is fresno PD...haaa..just realized that.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
100 mph laws...far as I can remember them. ...
"22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, no person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.

(b) Any person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense which occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.

(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense which occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.

(c) Any vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if no lane has been so designated........"

All this and even more than you'll ever want to know about the traffic laws in CA is only a click away;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

Quick Reply: How Do You Fight A 103 mph Speeding Ticket