Housing share.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Dova
The bay is so damn expensive. I thought about getting a nice house out in Tracy / Mountain House since I work in Livermore but damn the heat sucks big time.
This is where I live. I'm not gonna say you get used to the heat, cause I've yet to do it. This year we've had 15 days of over 100 so far. But in the grand scheme, that's not that bad for a house I own and can afford.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Wow. Anything livable in the area I rent would be near $1M. Back in '08 we were cruising around with a realtor and $80k in cash looking for a house. Things seemed weird so we did not buy anything. With that much for down plus closing costs, and looking for a 2/1 in the San Carlos area, we were looking at an entry cost of around $750k which was at a bare minimum $4,800/month with the info we were given, including insurance/etc. This is with a pretty solid down. I have heard of people talking about better deals, but when it comes down to it - there is always a catch or something fishy like they forgot to mention a relative gave them $200k.

Yeah, people say CA sucks but it's a lot of talk. We felt the same way so we moved to two different states and well, we are back. I guess it sucks more in those places? Maybe. Rent is a ***** and things are really weird now. Before I moved back home (Hilo, HI) I was paying $1,400/mo for a pretty sweet 2/2 in Sunnyvale. Now that same place is over $2k/mo. We moved from HMB 9/2011 @ $1,850/mo for a 2/2 house w/ garage which is now being rented for $2,400. We are paying $2k/mo for a place - signed the lease in March, and a unit couple doors down is on CL right now for $2,700/mo.

Oh and we only put down 3%. So if we had the 20% to put down, we could have bought a house that was closer to $250,000 cause after the $50,000 down the house would be at $200,000. So having a large downpayment can really help you.

Yea the difficult part of that is trying to find an affordable house close to where you work. It's fairly difficult to do that in Cali. It's easier to do in other states if you are a working professional with an in demand job. The pay scales are lower, but so is most everything else. The beauty I have now that I own a house, within a few years I'd have enough equity to sell this house, move out of state and buy a newer/bigger house closer to where I would work.

Last edited by bluwrxwgn; 08-17-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:26 PM

I may have a 3 bed 2 bath house (2 story) with huge backyard coming for about $3500 a month...Its on the 280 side of San Bruno, so its quiet. It maybe out of your budget buts its remodeled and nice.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
I may have a 3 bed 2 bath house (2 story) with huge backyard coming for about $3500 a month...Its on the 280 side of San Bruno, so its quiet. It maybe out of your budget buts its remodeled and nice.
That's the area we were looking in late '11. We were finding houses all over the place (looked within 10 mile radius of the Bayhill Shopping center) from $2,400-$2,800. Now, the same exact houses are over $3k and some were as high as $3,500. These are all 3/2 w/ 2 car garage. After seeing some of the houses, and hearing landlords tell us that they had no intentions of fixing or improving some of the terrible crap at some of these places, we gave up and rented an apartment in San Mateo. It was pretty funny after looking at 6 different houses in the San Bruno area, the people at the apartment complex were SO nice and accommodating. Also, some landlords wanted to charge between $1500 and $3,000 extra for our 14lb Boston Terrier. So just a recap, on a $3k/month house that is asking for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to move in. My dog is cleaner than most of my friends. I mean, if I filleted her on the floor it wouldn't cost $3k to clean up. Whatever..

Not sure what's up right now, but we are going to be in an apartment until rents get back to less stupid (they will always be a little stupid around here) or until we can afford a house. We aim to have a down saved up in 5 years and personally I don't care where I live until then. I have always lived in houses but when stuff gets like it is now, it's really hard to find someone to rent from that is willing to do anything at all.

It seems like the problem is two-fold; right now it's hard to buy a house because you need a lot of cash, and people have spent WAAAY too much money on their mortgages and are trying to get out of the hole. The last place we were going to check out in San Bruno before we got this apartment was a place right above Sneath that I looked at before for $2,800. Now couple months later they wanted $3,300 because the market made them think they could get it. We weren't even interested in seeing the inside after that conversation - I mean it becomes almost a matter of principle at that point. They want us to pay another $6k to live there because... Wait what now?

Any and every time a landlord has raised my rent because of "the market" I have moved. It's probably a better situation for both parties because they can most likely get the rent they are asking for, and we can most likely find a place that sucks less. We like where we live now, but we are ALWAYS on CL and if the right thing comes up, we are going to take it. I have seen things pop up here lately now and again that is giving me hope. We are FAR more picky than we have been in the past, and have not rented a couple places simply because the landlord or agent seemed a little off. Also, we have had waaaay better experiences with rental agencies than private landlords to the point where it would have to be something pretty special for us to rent from a private owner anymore.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM

That's the area we were looking in late '11. We were finding houses all over the place (looked within 10 mile radius of the Bayhill Shopping center) from $2,400-$2,800. Now, the same exact houses are over $3k and some were as high as $3,500. These are all 3/2 w/ 2 car garage. After seeing some of the houses, and hearing landlords tell us that they had no intentions of fixing or improving some of the terrible crap at some of these places, we gave up and rented an apartment in San Mateo. It was pretty funny after looking at 6 different houses in the San Bruno area, the people at the apartment complex were SO nice and accommodating. Also, some landlords wanted to charge between $1500 and $3,000 extra for our 14lb Boston Terrier. So just a recap, on a $3k/month house that is asking for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to move in. My dog is cleaner than most of my friends. I mean, if I filleted her on the floor it wouldn't cost $3k to clean up. Whatever..

Not sure what's up right now, but we are going to be in an apartment until rents get back to less stupid (they will always be a little stupid around here) or until we can afford a house. We aim to have a down saved up in 5 years and personally I don't care where I live until then. I have always lived in houses but when stuff gets like it is now, it's really hard to find someone to rent from that is willing to do anything at all.

It seems like the problem is two-fold; right now it's hard to buy a house because you need a lot of cash, and people have spent WAAAY too much money on their mortgages and are trying to get out of the hole. The last place we were going to check out in San Bruno before we got this apartment was a place right above Sneath that I looked at before for $2,800. Now couple months later they wanted $3,300 because the market made them think they could get it. We weren't even interested in seeing the inside after that conversation - I mean it becomes almost a matter of principle at that point. They want us to pay another $6k to live there because... Wait what now?

Any and every time a landlord has raised my rent because of "the market" I have moved. It's probably a better situation for both parties because they can most likely get the rent they are asking for, and we can most likely find a place that sucks less. We like where we live now, but we are ALWAYS on CL and if the right thing comes up, we are going to take it. I have seen things pop up here lately now and again that is giving me hope. We are FAR more picky than we have been in the past, and have not rented a couple places simply because the landlord or agent seemed a little off. Also, we have had waaaay better experiences with rental agencies than private landlords to the point where it would have to be something pretty special for us to rent from a private owner anymore.
Honestly if you interested, PM you number. and Dont worry about any extra fees for the dog. The lot about 6K ft and yard is big. The neighbors got dogs too. I'll see what I can do for you. I know the people REAL well.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
Honestly if you interested, PM you number. and Dont worry about any extra fees for the dog. The lot about 6K ft and yard is big. The neighbors got dogs too. I'll see what I can do for you. I know the people REAL well.
That is extremely nice of you, and really great that you would work with us on it. We talked about it, but decided that we are going to stay where we are at for a few years if possible. Thank you for your offer - that's awesome.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Wow, having just got hired and thinking about gettin' a place, it's looking super complicated with pricing. Take a house, thinking about $3000-$4000 after all utilities that's 36-48K per year.

The purchasing power in the bay area is so out of whack.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM

That is extremely nice of you, and really great that you would work with us on it. We talked about it, but decided that we are going to stay where we are at for a few years if possible. Thank you for your offer - that's awesome.
Np, let me know if u change ur mind.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Walker, check out Germello Apartments in Mountain View near Rengstroff Ave.

I stayed there when my house was getting rebuild and for the quailty of buildings + neighbors + price... It was incredible.

Price i believe was about $1900.00 for a 4 person Townhouse. Only issue is I heard the owner of the apartments changed, so prices might be different.

Also, when I was apartment looking in MV, there was one on rengstroff, Birch Creek apartments, that place was nice. My friend used to stay there, and when i asked for an estimate, It was about $1700 for a 3person room i believe (roughly 4 years ago). The place was really quite, calm. Buildings were okay, just alittle old looking (property was like 1960's?). But definitely nothing you explain.

Good luck man!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Thanks everyone for the advice. Me and the girl have been looking at places but have not been accepted for a housing share from craigslist. Seems no one wants to do a housing share with a couple. If anyone is still interested in rooming with us I thought this place in La Honda looked tight.

Name:  La_Honda_House.png
Views: 5
Size:  527.8 KB
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Here are some more pictures of it and the street address.

Home - Abbe McLeod Clan

15 Recreation Dr
La Honda, CA 94020

Looks like there is no garage but there is a wood shop? Could store tools and stuff and go halfsies on a large canopy??
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
GL Walker.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Car Info: wrx wagon/2.5rs
I'm still interested =]!! Pm me we could talk more.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
GL Walker.
Thank you sir and nice to meet you the other night!

Originally Posted by lzykid4life
I'm still interested =]!! Pm me we could talk more.
PMed!

I am super stoked about this place the property looks amazing, hard wood floors, wood burning stove and a nice drive to work!

If anyone snipes me on this I will cut your face.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Went and looked at the place in La Honda. It is DOPE. Need someone to take the 2nd bedroom to be able to afford it. Anyone interested???