Help! I need a gun, and info. Priority #1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 7 Series "Sport"
+1 on go to a gun range.. You really have to try it before you buy it.. Internet advice will only go so far..

While a wheel gun can be reliable - I prefer the ability to reload.. Chances are you will be shooting in the dark.. The encounter will be very quick.. And you will probably empty your mag / the perp will run.. Id rather be reloaded as fast as possible than fumbling with a wheel gun in the dark.. The chances of you hitting something in this kind of situation without any training are incredibly low.. So the ODDS are that you will scare the other party off.. Id rather be quickly reloaded while waiting for PD.. - Also, they DO make double action automatics... Kinda common.. A cheap / reliable option would be a CZ 75.. Was the number 1 handgun of law enforcement agencies world wide for quite a while.. As long as a round is chambered it is just point and shoot.

For home protection I really prefer a .45 acp.. Its a relatively heavy, slow moving round that doesn't have much in the way of penetration power when compared to much higher velocity / smaller rounds.. You will need to fire one first to see if you can handle it - but for me its my first choice as the round wont go through 3 walls and enter the neighbors house.. But no matter what you need to be aware of your background - with ANY firearm..

As for less lethals.. - You don't bring a knife to a gunfight.. A tazer? single shot? If you come face to face with an armed intruder you would be an absolute FOOL to try and taze him - thats just begging to get shot..

Last edited by Bouncer; 01-06-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Ryan doesnt your wife do something for law enforcement?

or did?
does, not gun wielding though.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Car Info: Reason
Originally Posted by Bouncer
For home protection I really prefer a .45 acp.. Its a relatively heavy, slow moving round that doesn't have much in the way of penetration power when compared to much higher velocity / smaller rounds.. You will need to fire one first to see if you can handle it - but for me its my first choice as the round wont go through 3 walls and enter the neighbors house..
1911 - nice - a man after my own heart.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Car Info: WRX
I was about to ask the same question soon because i'm moving to so cal and would want to upgrade my .22 for better home defense.

I was thinking a good reliable shotgun and maybe also a small handgun as well. I'd like to learn more about home defense tactics, gun handling, and just shoot some guns at the range.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Thank you everyone. I am going to go to this local shop I hear good things about. I will be bringing a mobile version of this thread with me and see what they recommend.

Firing range i will def hit up to try the next purchase but i need piece of mind now, and for me, in this moment that involves steel and lead.

As far as moving. I love my house and 90% of the area is cool, its mainly my immediate vicinity. i live very close to a school so it keeps most of the rif raf away, pervs and serious offenders. So moving is not really an option. Plus the stress of rebuying isnt happening for at least ten years or until i have to fire the gun inside my house, whichever comes first.

Thank you very much and keep posting, i will be letting the wife read this later tonight so dont mention the pics I posted of her please... (j/k)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Car Info: 7 Series "Sport"
Realllllyyyy should go to a range and try a few. Different strokes for different folks.. You do know there is a waiting period anyways right?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
I have a Glock 19 (9mm) loaded with hollow point for home defense. I also have a 870 ready to go if sh*t goes down.

I just bought a Springfield Operator .45 cause I've always wanted a .45. The Operator is expensive, after taxes I paid just over $1400. But you can buy a Rock river Island .45 for $400-500, and have the .45 stopping power. Buy some jacketed hollow points and you won't have to worry about the bullet going far once it hits an object.

Most sidearms/shotguns will serve your purpose of "home defense". Just become familar with whatever you get. Target aquiring skills and follow up shots should be something you practice.

There are also some laws you need to follow when it comes to shooting an intruder. You can't just start shooting away just cause someones in your house. Check them out when you can, last thing you want to happen is end up going to jail for killing a perp under the wrong "curcumstance" when you thought you were protecting your family.

There is a handgun magazine on the stands right now that covers these types of situations. It's either "Combat Handgunner" or "Tactical Sidearms" or something like that. I just bought the mag the other day and read it over. Some decent info in there.

Anyway, GL. And learn your rights and the law so you can cover your a$$, and do the right thing if something ever happens.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
Thank you everyone. I am going to go to this local shop I hear good things about. I will be bringing a mobile version of this thread with me and see what they recommend.
like above, you can get a good double action automatic...

i have a CZ 75 P-01 and it's awesome. and have a Glock 21 SF with night sights which is awesome too... 9mm and .45acp respectively. and have at least 4 mags that always have at least 4 rounds loaded.

but extremely important, is how the gun naturally points and feels when simply picked up. (by you and your wife). a gun with interchangeable backstraps would be good too for you probably. I will tell you that you will need to practice with any handgun, because aiming (properly at least) takes getting used to. just some basic fundamentals that you want to eventually become muscle memory.

might want to checkout a springfield xdm in 40 cal.

only drawback to hollowpoint barnes exander rounds is that won't penetrate vests and even some people with a lot of layers of clothes even!

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 01-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball

only drawback to hollowpoint barnes exander rounds is that won't penetrate vests and even some people with a lot of layers of clothes even!

This is covered in one of the magazines I just bought, talking about carrying in the winter and shooting through many layers of clothes. They state that there's a chance that the round won't expand, but even if it doesn't, it turns into a flat point round, and will still penetrate the flesh.

I also own body armor, and have had experience shooting ceramic plates and soft armor. Most people won't have armor plates, and soft armor is only good for handgun loads. That's why follow up shots are important, if you shoot someone wearing a vest, it's still going to knock them down hard, then go for a "deep brain" shot if the intruder is still combatant.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Where the hell in Santa Rosa do you live?

I had some "not so savvy" neighbors move into my neighborhood. I did the neighborly thing and introduce myself. Better to friends with them then make enemies. I'm not saying don't be cautious. But come on man, if you can buy a house, so can they. I think it is a little much to think buying a gun is going to solve your problems.

Also think about it, gangbangers run in groups vs little ol you, I think your odds are better spent buying a security system and better door locks.

I also think the actions which you display to these guys would be seen as more threatening. Remember, they aren't intimidated by you, you are of them.

I am not anti-firearms, I own my share. But I never bought them with the soul purpose of protecting myself because I felt threatened by my new neighbors.

Last edited by nic3krnnamja83; 01-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83

I had some "not so savvy" neighbors move into my neighborhood. I did the neighborly thing and introduce myself. Better to friends with them then make enemies. I'm not saying don't be cautious. But come on man, if you can buy a house, so can they. I think it is a little much to think buying a gun is going to solve your problems.

Also think about it, gangbangers run in groups vs little ol you, I think your odds are better spent buying a security system and better door locks.

I also think the actions which you display to these guys would be seen as more threatening. Remember, they aren't intimidated by you, you are of them.

I am not anti-firearms, I own my share. But I never bought them with the soul purpose of protecting myself because I felt threatened by my new neighbors.
usually, true gangsters only have beef with other rival gangsters and not the general public... i bet you won't have any issues with them, but being aware is always priority#1. and, of course, stray bullets from them shooting at each other potentially, so the film on your windows is not a bad idea if you're worried about the young one.

know the laws... cause you can't just shoot someone that's breaking into our has broken into your house... unless you want jail time yourself. my drunk *** buddy once went into his neighbors house instead of his own... simple drunk mistake! =) that'd suck if he got shot for it. your life needs to be in immediate danger. and if anything does happen (which hopefully never does) do not say a word to anyone... until you've consulted a competent lawyer.

i recall hearing about a burglar who fell through a skylight who successfully sued the homeowner...

good luck with everything.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 01-06-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83

This is a very good point! A gun will not solve all your problems, and you don't want to make it obvious that you have a problem with your new neighbors, or trouble may find you because of it. Security cameras and alarms will do you good. I'm a military vet, so I think tactically, but for you being a family man, maybe what Nick suggested would be a better route, at least at first. By all means, I believe every law abiding man should own a gun, but you don't want to seem like you're looking for a fight. Security cameras are a good deterant.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
This is a very good point! A gun will not solve all your problems, and you don't want to make it obvious that you have a problem with your new neighbors, or trouble may find you because of it. Security cameras and alarms will do you good. I'm a military vet, so I think tactically, but for you being a family man, maybe what Nick suggested would be a better route, at least at first. By all means, I believe every law abiding man should own a gun, but you don't want to seem like you're looking for a fight. Security cameras are a good deterant.
I'd get a few guns, as Obama is gonna outlaw them soon... <no dodgy>

mail order rounds are being outlawed in February, I'm stocking up...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
do you play PB? there's a good group of guys up there... Armed Force.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
half of my self defense stash.

Quick Reply: Help! I need a gun, and info. Priority #1