Harness Bar Options and Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 AM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
Originally Posted by flat489
yea the schroths are the way to for the gd impreza. i believe it is DOT approved as well. I wish they had them for my sti
You are correct. As far as i know, Schroth is the only company that offers DOT approved harnesses, hence why they are so expensive.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Well I'm pulling the trigger on a set of the Schroths. Seems like an adequate solution to my problems. Now on to the next purchase. HELMET.

Name:  Dark_Helmet_unmasked.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  23.4 KB
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by vaj
Dude!

Thanks! I can't believe I've never seen those. The *only* thing that worries me is the angle of the straps downward to the rear seat.

Something something spinal compression etc..

Regardless, I'm going to research this more.

Thanks again!
I had a Schroth setup. It worked but I found I was having back problems after every auto-x event due to the compression. I am 6'4" and the issue may have been accentuated due to my height.

I switched to a Sparco harness and belts. Night and day difference.

Also added the fire extinguisher mount and a H3R MX250 extinguisher. Hopefully never have to use it.

On another note I can remove the entire top bar in under 10 minutes so I can swap between auto-x duties and a car seat with little fuss.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by huck
I had a Schroth setup. It worked but I found I was having back problems after every auto-x event due to the compression. I am 6'4" and the issue may have been accentuated due to my height.

I switched to a Sparco harness and belts. Night and day difference.

Also added the fire extinguisher mount and a H3R MX250 extinguisher. Hopefully never have to use it.

On another note I can remove the entire top bar in under 10 minutes so I can swap between auto-x duties and a car seat with little fuss.
do you run this setup at the track too, i thought i had read somewhere you are supposed to have a roll bar to do so
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Originally Posted by flat489
do you run this setup at the track too, i thought i had read somewhere you are supposed to have a roll bar to do so
I used the Schroth a couple of times at the track before I switched to harness bar. It depends on the organization. I think I recall that some require you wear your stock seatbelt over a Schroth harness if there is an issue.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Don't think you can use a Schroth Quick Fit and the stock belt as the Schroth uses the front seat belt receiver.

Also, the DOT-fmvss 209 certification is based on materials and hardware. It does not take into account the possibility of injury due to the installation of the seat belt/harness. The angle of the rear belts will still pull down on the shoulders and compress the spine in an accident.

Standard No. 209; Seat belt assemblies. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Crash test with a Quick Fit harness. Notice how the dummy shrinks as the spine compresses.
http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Qu...Crash_Test.wmv

Last edited by jdblock; 10-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Huck, I remember meeting you and your wife and Noah at BAM 10. Whats up? Hows the kid doing?

You and I are "similar" height and *this* is the type of feedback I am looking for. I already have a bad back and I really want to be secure in the seat (gonna cinch those straps down hard) and since you've actually had both setups this is very pertinent info. Thanks! My car seats for the toddler and 7yo live in my FJ so I'm ok there. ;-) But to know that the top bar can be removed that quickly is good to know in case I have rear seat passengers...

Thanks for the link to that vid JDBlock. I didn't see that on their site before. (Who chose the soundtrack for that vid haha?) Dummy has some crazy movement and this is WITH the HANS as well. Hmm....

Damm. Now I think I am going back the other way, decision-wise.... Damm libra...