i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Harness Bar Options and Opinions (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/harness-bar-options-opinions-245645/)

vaj 10-20-2012 08:49 AM

Harness Bar Options and Opinions

Howdy Guys,

Shopping for a harness bar for my 04... As much as I'd like the sparco unit the price is a little bit steep. Searching around I found these:

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Harness-Guide-Bar-Subaru-Wrx-Sti-2002-2010-/110956363886?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d583c06e&vxp=mtr]Custom Harness Guide Bar Subaru WRX STI 2002 2010 | eBay[/url]

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-SS-SAFETY-SEAT-BELT-HARNESS-CHASSIS-BAR-ROD-IMPREZA-SUPRA-CELICA-MR2-tC-GOLF-/350622078534?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a2b45646&vxp=mtr]49" SS Safety Seat Belt Harness Chassis Bar Rod Impreza Supra Celica MR2 TC Golf | eBay[/url]

The first one says its actually for a subaru.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? A bar is a bar right?

Or should I pony up for the sparco sticker....

Opinions?

1FSTREX 10-20-2012 09:11 AM

I agree that the Sparco harness bar is way over priced. But i also think that you shouldnt get a "knock off" harness bar. I know they are all pretty simple to make but we are talking about your safety restraints here and what is preventing you from being thrown through your windshield so i think its a bit important to get the right parts. I did a lot of research and settled on the NRG Harness Bar. You can get it for just about $230 shipped brand new and its subaru specific.

[url=http://www.racinglab.com/nrg-harness-bar-027.html]Subaru 2007-2009 Impreza (WRX/STI) NRG Racing Harness Bar (Blue, HBR-002-BL)|NRG Innovations Aluminum Harness Bar[/url]

vaj 10-20-2012 09:13 AM

I totally agree. I would rather the bar worked properly in a crash so that's why I'm reaching out for some opinions.

That NRG bar looks solid. How was the fitment?

vaj 10-20-2012 09:57 AM

I find it interesting that the NRG bar is aluminium.

JourdanWithaU 10-20-2012 10:11 AM

I think it depends on what your planning to do.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be wearing a harness on the street. A harness will put you at a high risk or whiplash should you get in an accident. If you're planning to go on track, you're going to want more than just a bar. I think harness bars are best suited for lighter events such as Autocross and Rallycross where the chances of a collision are low and in that situation, a cheap bar will be just as effective as the expensive option. That's just my opinion.

vaj 10-20-2012 10:17 AM

I wouldn't dare wear harnesses on the street. Just for AutoX and the very occasional track day. I have a track day coming up. I find that the g's throw me around the stock seats at autox quite a bit and I'm looking for some more control.

I've been moving the seat back, clipping my CG lock in, "locking" the belt and sliding my seat forward into position to be as tight in the seat as possible and it still ain't even close to enough. LOL!

1FSTREX 10-20-2012 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=vaj;3306406]I totally agree. I would rather the bar worked properly in a crash so that's why I'm reaching out for some opinions.

That NRG bar looks solid. How was the fitment?[/QUOTE]

Fitment is great! I was very happy with it. A friend has the Sparco and it fits just as good as the sparco. It actually doesnt sit as far back as the sparco does which i like encase i have back seat passengers. No modification is required and it mounts to all the stock locations.

[QUOTE=vaj;3306416]I find it interesting that the NRG bar is aluminium.[/QUOTE]

I dont mind because i use mine for AutoX and never use my harnesses on the street so the fact that it might be "weaker" wasnt an issue for me. Again always remember you get what you pay for. This was a great "inbetween" the $150 knocks offs and the $400 Sparco. If you are tracking i would HIGHLY suggest spending the money and getting to Sparco to keep yourself safe.

[QUOTE=vaj;3306420]I wouldn't dare wear harnesses on the street. Just for AutoX and the very occasional track day. I have a track day coming up. I find that the g's throw me around the stock seats at autox quite a bit and I'm looking for some more control.

I've been moving the seat back, clipping my CG lock in, "locking" the belt and sliding my seat forward into position to be as tight in the seat as possible and it still ain't even close to enough. LOL![/QUOTE]

If you mainly AutoX with the occasional track day i would go with the NRG. Honestly your main problem is your stock seats. I ran a harness with my stock STI seat and it still didnt help. I am 5'7", 150lbs, and 32" waist. Once i upgraded to my Pro2000, all my problems were solved. Many times i even wear my stock seat belt with my Pro2000 and dont even use my harnesses because it holds me so well.

Best of luck!

jdblock 10-20-2012 10:40 AM

The only difference I see between the knock-off and NRG is a sticker.

You should also be looking at a CG lock if you're looking at a harness bar setup. Cheap and it does the job.

+1 to getting a better seat. It does make the biggest difference when cornering.

vaj 10-20-2012 01:07 PM

Guys, thank you for all of the opinions!

I have a CG lock but it only really controls the bottom half of the belt. I'm having an issue with my upper body movement. I'm 6'2", 175, 33" waist and YES the stock seats kinda blow.

If money and driving on the street with the occasional passenger were not issues I would have caged the car long ago. But since I enjoy driving on the mean streets of Kalifornia this isn't gonna happen.

I have sat in many race seats while shopping for them up at Infineon. The only seat that worked for me was the Cobra Sebring. Not cheap lol.

Now the fact that the NRG doesn't go as far back as the Sparco is kind of a deciding factor. I'm a tall glass of water and I have monkey arms. Need that seat to go back, even while tracking/autoxing.

Lowend 10-20-2012 01:28 PM

I'm going to make your day.... ready...

[url=http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/quick-fit/qf-wrx]Schroth Racing Harnesses[/url]

vaj 10-20-2012 01:50 PM

Dude!

Thanks! I can't believe I've never seen those. The *only* thing that worries me is the angle of the straps downward to the rear seat.

Something something spinal compression etc..

Regardless, I'm going to research this more.

Thanks again!

Lowend 10-20-2012 09:43 PM

I've seen lots of older race cars that ran the harness' to the back seat or the trunk. When you move the mount point back far enough the angle ceases to be an issue.

That NHTSA approval letter tells me they probably did the math right

I should really get a set of these myself

vaj 10-20-2012 09:50 PM

I spent hours looking at reviews, etc online and actually read the (horribly scanned) NHTSA letter on Schroth's site. I haven't found any negative opinions yet. Just some folks that had a hard time reading the install instructions haha.

At the price they are offered at I just may buy two sets so my passenger at the track is more comfortable and secure.

flat489 10-20-2012 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=vaj;3306630]I spent hours looking at reviews, etc online and actually read the (horribly scanned) NHTSA letter on Schroth's site. I haven't found any negative opinions yet. Just some folks that had a hard time reading the install instructions haha.

At the price they are offered at I just may buy two sets so my passenger at the track is more comfortable and secure.[/QUOTE]

yea the schroths are the way to for the gd impreza. i believe it is DOT approved as well. I wish they had them for my sti

slow04wrx 10-21-2012 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=vaj;3306630]I spent hours looking at reviews, etc online and actually read the (horribly scanned) NHTSA letter on Schroth's site. I haven't found any negative opinions yet. Just some folks that had a hard time reading the install instructions haha.

At the price they are offered at I just may buy two sets so my passenger at the track is more comfortable and secure.[/QUOTE]

[I[/I]

Incredibly easy to install. You bolt on 2 eye clips to existing bolts behind the rear seat, thats it! They are actually approved to wear on the street in replacement of your normal seatbelt. Don't want to sound like a salesman but its a genius design that makes harness bars looks plain silly. The other great thing is you can remove/install for rear passengers in 10 seconds. Definitely makes driving fast much easier.