Guy trades his 500hp STI for a stolen SRT8 Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
So wait, the guy traded his 500hp+ RS plus cash for a Srt8 that has no title and finds out the car was stolen. Is it just me or is something about this whole story does not make sense at all?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
Originally Posted by DSav408
Maybe I skipped over some of the posts and missed something.

But the person buying the jeep... No title? How/why would you buy a car with no title?
And if stolen... There's obviously no title?

Correct me if I missed something.
there was a legal title, under the fake vin from another car. the title matched the name of the kid he bought it from, he carfaxed the vin and it had all the legit normal information including service records. everything seemed legit. who ever stole/sold the car really knew what they were doing and was not a first timer. the guy who got scammed even has the information of the guy who owned it before the kid who scammed him. i mean seriously how could you guys think he was stupid enough to do a car deal for a car that doesnt have a title. he called that guy and was told to never call the number again. from what i gather the kid (brandon) wasnt involved in the stealing or anything of the car but the day after he found out it had a fake vin he put it up for sale/trade, he then traded the car to wash his hands of it and screwed the guy (kyle) out of his sti. the guy kyle will go after brandon in court, and then brandon will have to go after the guy he bought it from in court.

Last edited by dub599; 12-10-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
Originally Posted by 04Impreza
Had a real title, carfax checked out clean and vin's matched. He didn't even have an issue registering it. It was when he went to get a key made that he found out the vin was wrong and the truck had been stolen in 2008. It basically had a vin from a clean titled SRT8 over the original vin.
So the dealer went through all this trouble and hassle to sell this car when they knew it would come back to them? Can you post a link?? Cause I feel like this story is all over. One second a kid stole it and another the dealer sold a stolen car.

Am I the only confused???:[
Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
A lot of responses in the thread remind me of the scene from The Big Lebowski after the Nhilists throw the ferret in the bath tub.

"Also, let's not forget - let's *not* forget, Dude - that keeping wildlife, an amphibious rodent, for uh, domestic, you know, within the city - that aint legal either."
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by dub599
there was a legal title, under the fake vin from another car. the title matched the name of the kid he bought it from, he carfaxed the vin and it had all the legit normal information including service records. everything seemed legit. the guy who got scammed even has the information of the guy who owned it before the kid who scammed him. he called that guy and was told to never call the number again. from what i gather the kid (brandon) wasnt involved in the stealing or anything of the car but the day after he found out it had a fake vin he put it up for sale/trade, he then traded the car to wash his hands of it and screwed the guy (kyle) out of his sti. the guy kyle will go after brandon in court, and then brandon will have to go after the guy he bought it from in court.
Wow, well seems like a lot of legal battle I wouldn't want to be involved in. Just seems like a lot of effort on the end of the dealer to make this 'magical' title but whatever. Who am I to judge? Lol

And the kid.. Well is dumb first off. But I would of just gone after the dealer in the first place instead of getting yourself into more trouble.

Oh, AND. Kid registered the car at the DMV where tons of legal documentation is and they didn't notice the car was stolen and give the cops the address??

I'm not trying to poke at people, things just don't seem completely explained.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 PM

So the dealer went through all this trouble and hassle to sell this car when they knew it would come back to them? Can you post a link?? Cause I feel like this story is all over. One second a kid stole it and another the dealer sold a stolen car.

Am I the only confused???:[
the kid brandon didnt buy it from a dealership, he bought it off of some guy for some unknown amount. the links are in the first post of this thread. the kid brandon took it to a dealership for some work and they told him it had a fake vin, he argued with them and drove off before the dealership could call the police. kyle has talked to this dealership and they are willing to testify in court to this. the day after he(brandon) found out it had a fake vin he put it for sale/trade. the guy kyle traded him for the sti a week later. the guy kyle took it to a dealership to get a key made and they told him about the fake vin, which isnt even for a mopar. kyle called the police they took the car, it has since been put up for auction and sold for $3500.

go to nasoic and read the thread. youre not getting a lot of the story if your only reading this thread. its a fun 19 pages to read through

Last edited by dub599; 12-10-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 PM

the kid brandon didnt buy it from a dealership, he bought it off of some guy for some unknown amount. the links are in the first post of this thread. the kid brandon took it to a dealership for some work and they told him it had a fake vin, he argued with them and drove off before the dealership could call the police. kyle has talked to this dealership and they are willing to testify in court to this. the day after he(brandon) found out it had a fake vin he put it for sale/trade. the guy kyle traded him for the sti a week later. the guy kyle took it to a dealership to get a key made and they told him about the fake vin, which isnt even for a mopar. kyle called the police they took the car, it has since been put up for auction and sold for $3500.

go to nasoic and read the thread. youre not getting a lot of the story if your only reading this thread. its a fun 19 pages to read through
Could of swore I read something about someone saying that he bought it from a dealer.

But regardless of the trade being unfair and whatever else.

The DMV didn't do anything about a stolen car?? Lol or maybe it was never registered by this chain of owners and the STi owner just bought a car with no title..

Whatever. I'm over it *sigh*
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 PM

smh* the car was registered by all the owners and the car had a legal title under a fake vin. what is confusing about that?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:34 PM

smh* the car was registered by all the owners and the car had a title. what is confusing about that?
So you're telling me someone made a fake vin, possibly off of a same model car and the DMV didn't notice a fake vin or anything? If there's a way to fake a title in DMV I'd love to know.
Even if it was a vin from another model car... DMV didn't see that there is two people registered under the same vin?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:35 PM

^^^ not two people, two cars. Sorry about that
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 PM

So you're telling me someone made a fake vin, possibly off of a same model car and the DMV didn't notice a fake vin or anything? If there's a way to fake a title in DMV I'd love to know.
Even if it was a vin from another model car... DMV didn't see that there is two people registered under the same vin?
the jeep had a vin off of a car that wasnt even a mopar. the original party probably stole the jeep and bought some cheap pos car. took the vin off the pos car and put it on the jeep. then changed some how changed the pink slip for the POS to say it was for a jeep srt-8 to match the jeep they had stolen. some how they got it past DMV and even got all the carfax stuff to say it was for an srt-8 with maintenance records. your not talking about billy bob and his friends running a chop shop on this one
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 PM

the jeep had a vin off of a car that wasnt even a mopar. the original party probably stole the jeep and bought some cheap pos car. took the vin off the pos car and put it on the jeep. then changed some how changed the pink slip for the POS to say it was for a jeep srt-8 to match the jeep they had stolen. some how they got it past DMV and even got all the carfax stuff to say it was for an srt-8 with maintenance records. your not talking about billy bob and his friends running a chop shop on this one
There's no way to alter what the car fax report said unless this guy is an uber hacker and some how corrected it and switched vins and made that the pos came up as stolen? Lol.

All these 'somehows' don't justify as an answer for me.

Unless DMV believes that a 94 civic beater, was transformed into a srt-8??

Just not buying the whole title story.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 PM

have you ever been to the DMV? they are not all the smartest people in the world.. i dont know how the people who stole the jeep were able to do it but they did. if it was an easy thing to do more people would do it. . for all we know the people doing it could have paid off someone in the DMV to change the records for them. i used to know a guy in college who could get you legal fake id's sent to you from the DMV, yes you could have 2 legal id's. money can buy almost anything and when youre making $20k-30k per car you can afford a lot
Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM

have you ever been to the DMV? they are not all the smartest people in the world.. i dont know how the people who stole the jeep were able to do it but they did. if it was an easy thing to do more people would do it. . for all we know the people doing it could have paid off someone in the DMV to change the records for them. i used to know a guy in college who could get you legal fake id's sent to you from the DMV, yes you could have 2 legal id's. money can buy almost anything and when youre making $20k-30k per car you can afford a lot
You win. Your posts aren't making sense.

I'm assuming if you stole a car, you wouldn't have the money to pay off someone at the DMV.
But good luck for the guy getting his Subie back, I can only imagine his frustration.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Originally Posted by Krinkov
damn, no not Felipe, but yeah he used to have a 500hp WRX and now has a SRT8, talk about a coince'

BTW, Felipe is FTR'sWRX here, one of the GST peeps, you've prob met him.
That's who got scammed?

Quick Reply: Guy trades his 500hp STI for a stolen SRT8 Jeep