got pulled over yesterday

Old 05-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned bugeye
Gimmick Motorsports - Gimmick Motorsports 3" Cat-back Exhaust - 02-07 WRX/STI (Powered by CubeCart)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Dude, you got off with no ticket -- what're you stressing over? You should be feeling happy that you were let off the hook.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
I don't get this thread
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
No ticket is a good thing lol
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat
you can get it tested from your local chp office for future
Brendan, what if your car doesnt pass the 95db at 3k? would they ticket you or something?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
No ticket, no problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
They see you ridin', they hatin'. No ticket? Keep on ridin'
Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX TR
Originally Posted by wilde
I don't get this thread
I second that
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Sounds like the dude was cool and cut you a break.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 2002 impreza project
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat
chp are all f-ing retards. if your exhaust is under 95dbs at 3k rpm its legal.
Correct me if im wrong but if it is a modified exhaust they can legally pop your hood to "make sure" it's 50 state legal right? Just wondering because you seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Brendan, what if your car doesnt pass the 95db at 3k? would they ticket you or something?
lol i doubt they will because technically speaking youd be at the chp office and youre car wouldnt be on a public road and youd just be asking for a favor to get your exhaust db level measured...

Originally Posted by kindaflush
Correct me if im wrong but if it is a modified exhaust they can legally pop your hood to "make sure" it's 50 state legal right? Just wondering because you seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
i dont know the law to the full extent but a chp office has to have reasonable cause to pop your hood, same as if he was trying to search your car without a warrant. if you have a modified exhaust it doesnt give him probably cause to search the hood unless you cant see cats under your car for example then he can deem your car unsafe or in violation of emissions and request to pop your hood. also chp can pop your hood whereever they want but city police do not have the authority to, they will need to call a chp. my advice if it comes down to popping your hood just do it and be friendly because if you **** them off they'll just try and get you in trouble. 95% of cops dont know what to look for anyway nor do they truly even know the law about modified exhausts. i one time argued with a cop when he was trying to give my friend an exhaust ticket even though it was under the legal limit. we got away with it in the end lol
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
He is full of crap. That intake is 100% legal.

You got pulled over by a pure case of profiling. He was expecting to find something illegal. IF he did you would have been give a ticket. Pure and simple.

I got pulled over once. Got something like 13 tickets. Front and back of two tickets. Moving and fix it. One of which was 100 plus in a 35.

All bull****. Ended up selling my car because of it. **** them. Don't do anything.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
You have the opportunity to get it corrected and retest or face a steep fine.

i dont know the law to the full extent but a chp office has to have reasonable cause to pop your hood, same as if he was trying to search your car without a warrant. if you have a modified exhaust it doesnt give him probably cause to search the hood unless you cant see cats under your car for example then he can deem your car unsafe or in violation of emissions and request to pop your hood. also chp can pop your hood whereever they want but city police do not have the authority to, they will need to call a chp. my advice if it comes down to popping your hood just do it and be friendly because if you **** them off they'll just try and get you in trouble. 95% of cops dont know what to look for anyway nor do they truly even know the law about modified exhausts. i one time argued with a cop when he was trying to give my friend an exhaust ticket even though it was under the legal limit. we got away with it in the end lol
City cops can have you pop your hood and send you to the REF exactly the same as CHP.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 04GG
You have the opportunity to get it corrected and retest or face a steep fine.

City cops can have you pop your hood and send you to the REF exactly the same as CHP.
With probable cause and they need to actually have something.

I sat there and let them search my vehicle like an idiot. I had to report to the DA's office one every 1-2 weeks for a year. After a year the case was dropped... they never submitted the tickets.

We have rights that we do not exercise.

If I get pulled over for an exhaust they better have a meeter on them to test it if they want to see anything in my car. I have no record. No points. No nothing. Probably cause to search my vehicle... i.e. lift my hood up is not a loud exhaust that they can not confirm how loud it is.

95db is pretty damn loud by the way... and I believe it's actual 94.5. I have the paperwork in my glove box.

I'm tempted to get tested just so I'll have it.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
They can pop your hood if they want. Cant search the inside tho unless given permission and/or warrant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got pulled over yesterday