Fram made OE oil filters recall - check yours

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 AM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by 04GG
The only minor thing I don't like about WIX was mentioned by Pho: flat gasket instead of the "P" profile. I used WIX for years without issue until I had a gasket separate from the filter and stick to the engine block even though I lubed it at installation. Wasn't actually a failure, but I didn't like that. I went back to OEM after that and and still haven't had an issue with them either. The fact is, pretty much any filter can fail, even a good one, so it doesn't really matter who makes it, some bad ones can get out on the shelves as this thread shows.

I have an oil sandwich plate on mine so anything taller than the OE will hit my undertray.

What you said is 100% true. Any filter can fail but I'd much rather have a cheap good quality off the shelf filter for assurance, and on top of that; a filter that's easily accessible at pretty much any auto parts store. Like the Wix. They've got good media, strong casings and personally haven't had any issues with their gaskets on any application. However it is true that they are not P profile. They seal perfectly fine however and as long as it's not leaking thats good enough for me.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by azer408
What you said is 100% true. Any filter can fail but I'd much rather have a cheap good quality off the shelf filter for assurance, and on top of that; a filter that's easily accessible at pretty much any auto parts store. Like the Wix. They've got good media, strong casings and personally haven't had any issues with their gaskets on any application. However it is true that they are not P profile. They seal perfectly fine however and as long as it's not leaking thats good enough for me.
Not sure what you mean by "cheap"? I usually buy a 6 pack of OEM filters at one time at which point they are about $2/ea less than the WIX. Then I basically don't have to go anywhere to get them for the rest of the year because they are already in my garage. In a pinch, I'll pick up a WIX and it will be fine too I am sure; I used them for a long time on all of my cars.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Car Info: H6 Outback & 08 WRX hatch
Plenty of reading to be done here:
Forester forum oil filter study
It's the most systematic study of oil filters for Subaru's I've seen yet.

There's plenty of opinions and good ideas alike over at Bob is the Oil Guy as well:
bitog
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by 04GG
Not sure what you mean by "cheap"? I usually buy a 6 pack of OEM filters at one time at which point they are about $2/ea less than the WIX. Then I basically don't have to go anywhere to get them for the rest of the year because they are already in my garage. In a pinch, I'll pick up a WIX and it will be fine too I am sure; I used them for a long time on all of my cars.
I work at orielly's so I get a discount. I totally forgot to factor that in. Lol
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM

Car Info: Roxie.
Thanks for sharing. And turns out both extra filters I bought in January at Capitol Subaru are on recall. Yippee
Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRB WRX
I purchased 2 filters from Stevens Creek 3 weeks ago. Did an oil change last week. Just checked my 2nd filter, its on the list, Sh*tty. Bet the one on my car is the same also. Think they will replace the filter I just installed too? I know it says "uninstalled filter". How about the $10 of Amsoil im going to loose when i replace it? I even still have my receipt.

Last edited by SuperNova76; 03-24-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRB WRX
Just an Update. Went to Steven Creek Subaru on my lunch break. They at first did not want to exchange my filter. They stated that the recall was last year and all filters were pulled from the shelves at that time. They could not explain how my filters were listed on the recall when I purchased them only 3 weeks ago. I pulled up this thread on my phone and showed them the link to the Fram recall which has the numbers that match my filter. Then the acting manager who didnt have the common courtesy to look me in the face, yelled over his wall "I-Club is not the manufacturer". Basically saying dont listen to **** I read on here. After 15min of going back and forth they exchanged the filter I had in hand and the one I just installed on my car. Moral of the story, screw the dealer. And ill probably go back to using Amsoil filter again.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM

Car Info: Roxie.
Dropped by Capitol Subaru this evening. Brought the print out of the Fram recall. The parts manager took my 2 unused filters and carefully brought back a box of new filters ensuring me the replacements are not on the recall list and have a marking next to the set of numbers which means they were checked.

Friendly, no hassle service at capitol Subaru. In other news my oil level is about 1/4 below the top hole of the dip stick since running about 6K miles. Bout to get it changed tomorrow.