Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Fram oil filters?? use or not.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Post Honest answer...

who freakin' knows?!?

I think doing oil/filter changes on a regular basis is by far more important than what oil/filter brand you decide to go with. I by half a dozen OEM filters from my dealer to the tune of ~$6 a pop. Seems like a reasonable price to me, and it is hopefully doing a great job of keeping my engine's oil free from debris.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
Pure now, Pure later. Purolator. Haven't you seen the commercial . Nothing but Purolator for me, but I've heard Fram has fixed their quality issues. Just remember to shake the new filter before putting it on to see if anything rattles. If it does then I don't care what brand it is, take it back, throw it away, whatever, but don't put it on your car. Purolator is O.E. so there must be a reason for that, and I think it filters better. Like 94-96% single pass.

-Charles-
Old 09-05-2003, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX in World Rally Blue
A couple of years ago I guy I worked with showed me a research paper he found on oil filters. The gist of it was that run of the mill Fram filters, etc. are average (at best) and the ones Wall World sells are almost useless.

The more expensive models, like Amsoil, are a much better design, but you pay for it. Kinda like a K&N air filter, I suppose.

However, before I make any more claims/allegations etc., I will try and track down that report. If I can find it I will post a link so y'all can read it for yourselves.

Something I just thought of - the tolerances designed into the engine may allow for the use of a filter like Fram or Purolater. The Chevy Beretta I drove for 11 years before buying the Sooby did just fine with the filters that the quick-lube shop put on. In that case, BlingBlingBlue has a very good point about the frequency of oil changes being more important than the brand of filter.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:44 PM

Subaru claims they plug up and leak, and will void your warrenty if they find one on your car if the engine blows...

I too have always used Fram. But it looks like I will have to use the Purolator filter or Subaru OEM (Same thing) if I wish to keep that precious warrenty.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Disposable filters? What are those? I just installed the mother of all oil filters on my scoob, a Canton/Mecca Racing replaceable core billet 6.5" filter. Supposedly, they filter better than anything else on the market. I was going to install the 4.5" one, but I ordered the wrong size, but bigger is better, right?

www.cmfilters.com
Old 09-17-2003, 12:46 AM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

I just did my first oil change on saturday and I used a fram (orange one right?) oil filter....

I don't want to f my car up.

-Nigel
Old 09-17-2003, 02:43 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Fram filters aren't very good. If you don't want to get the adapter for running the Mobil 1 filters, the K&N or OE are the next best bets.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:01 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

hmm.... I just changed my oil on saturday..... Can I just change the filter then? Or would all my oil spill out? Also what K&N oil filter part number do I get, and would an Advanced Auto or Autoparts store have it?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 09-19-2003, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX in World Rally Blue
I think this is the one I was thinking about:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
Old 09-26-2003, 12:47 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX MY02
Currently using a Bosch Filter. Seems pretty good so far on a WRX 02.