Finally some good news! Back on the road and EQ Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I though it was kind of low myself. Those numbers I had at that time were BS from FLI. Their dyno reads wicked high. Ed sent me an email, he said he was looking over the graphs/plots from last night. He believes we can squeeze out some more up top. I don't have and EGT gauge so I'm sitting at a 10.5-10.8 AFR. Real conservative. Once I get an EGT we'll tweak it a bit more.
How does it feel??? The response is really smooth boost slides right in. It's not jary at all. Super smooth. It forces you back into the seat with authority and doesn't let go. There is absolutely 0 lag time while switching gears. It is very quick. Aside from the numbers, it is exactly what I wanted. Very usable power. The power band is perfect for what I use it for . All I can say is this sucker moves out in a hurry.

AHHHHH, that makes sense.......very sweet though! I'm glad you're finally happy with it......its bout damn time. So I wanna ride now! tell ya what.....we'll swap rides when I get my turbo installed .....that will give me incentive to get 'er done! Although I still gotta save up for my accessport and tune. <sigh>

-Ted
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
haha, enjoyed the road tunning with Ed huh? that ish is crazy...I was paranoid of cops the whole time
Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by MBasile
haha, enjoyed the road tunning with Ed huh? that ish is crazy...I was paranoid of cops the whole time
Me too. I'd wait for the road to clear before I started my pull. Made little sense to pull with someone in front. Even with a lot of lead time I was in their azz , right quick.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

haha, same with me, although I have a feeling you did a little faster than I did
Old 03-15-2006, 08:06 PM

Car Info: wrx
cool beans.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Congrats on everything turning out ok!

I was planning on a similar setup as yours; after Ed showed me your dyno graph I don't think I'll be keeping the vf30 anymore if even a td06 drops off like that or maybe it's just the stock cams...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:58 PM
VIP Member

wow, I just looked at that dyno graph and that thing peaks early, is this an auto-x/rally-x setup?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

I mostly run canyons, in addition it thought this setup would work great for Auto-x and short track.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Jeff, thanks for the nice review. I agree the numbers seem a bit low for the setup, but without an EGT gauge I did not feel comfortable running any leaner than 10.8:1 on your brand new short block. The turbo is deffinately out of breath above 5k RPM and the setup would not take any more ignitiona advance. It did respond fairly well to a/f changes, however, so as long as your EGT's are controllable with a leaner a/f, we should be able to get a bit more power out of it. I do agree that this turbo is a bit on the small side for the motor but Jeff is after great response and lots of low end for the twisties and he deffinately got that.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Sweet Jeff. I'm glad you got it all worked out and got your car back and running. Those torque numbers are crazy.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Last night I opened the doors and allowed a few in for a ride. Even with four of us in there it pulled and made an impression. Not as fun as solo or doubled up but a nice hard pull none the less. I'll be shopping for an EGT.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Last night I opened the doors and allowed a few in for a ride. Even with four of us in there it pulled and made an impression. Not as fun as solo or doubled up but a nice hard pull none the less. I'll be shopping for an EGT.

mmmmm defi.....mmmmmm.

yeah those numbers kind of got me wondering what the hell FLI was doing to the motor to get 310 or how off the dyno really is.

Can't wait to see that thing with an EGT in there, broke in a bit more and put on a dyno.

I really was expections something closer to 300/325 but you can't complain about DOUBLING your torque numbers..haaaa.

oh and jeff...think I found where it's leaking. Valve cover gasket or something back by the pcv but that doesn't explain the weird noise. It's going in next week.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:51 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I really was expections something closer to 300/325 but you can't complain about DOUBLING your torque numbers..haaaa.
You really need a 20G compressor to do 300whp on pump gas. The 18G runs out of flow quickly and the only way to get more power is by leaning out . Which on pump gas is deffinately not safe to do without an EGT sensor. Using some decent gas, I believe the setup could hit 300whp but on pump I wouldn't expect more than 270-280whp once we get the EGT in there.

BTW, comparing numbers from FLI's dyno with these is pretty useless. I don't think we have seen any real baseline numbers come off their dyno so there is no way to tell how its readings compare. Look at Cobb's Mustang Dyno for example... it reads extremely optimistically and is much closer to DynoJet numbers.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
im glad to finally see the beast out and about last night, next time gimme a ride

-Ave
Old 03-16-2006, 03:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
hey jeff we need to clean the cars up and got shoot some photos.

Quick Reply: Finally some good news! Back on the road and EQ Tuned