Exhaust Ticket Questions

Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Exhaust Ticket Questions

Today I was ticketed for: 27151 CVC (Modified Exhaust). First question -- Under "Correctable", neither Yes or No were circled. Does this mean it is not correctable? Is "CVC" correctable violation code?

I've seen several Subaru's in California with modified exhausts - how are they getting away with it? If you are under 95 db are you OK? Cops here are much stricter than in Florida, and I'm debating if it's even worth keeping my car modified here. It's a real shame, because I love the Subaru rumble. Granted, my car is NOT under 95 db, but I can put the stock exhaust back on and take it to court I suppose.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
CVC. California Vehicle Code.

What exhaust do you have?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Exhaust Ticket Information VC 27151 & Similar - NASIOC
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm
Old 07-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
It's a shame you had a run in with a cop who had so little to do that he cited you for that. Welcome to cali.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
If you are bored after you win, you can turn around and sue the department for false detainer (stopping you). Bay area departments will flinch and ask to settle out of court, as part of that settlement you can demand all officers be retrained at department cost on said noise laws. Its the same way people win court cases aganst the police for firearms infractions.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jdblock
CVC. California Vehicle Code.

What exhaust do you have?
BPM GT, notoriously loud. Considering switching to a quieter one after this mess.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Hmmmm I have no issues with PD lol
Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Heedz
Hmmmm I have no issues with PD lol
I'm just waiting for mine. Hoping to make it quieter before that happens though. My car is embarrassingly loud.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 AM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Usually if not driving like a douche you should be ok. Ive driven past cops straight piped and catless before with no problems.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
So heres the skinny kinda Im not a lawyer

My interwebz education has told me that any aftermarket modification to your exhaust is not legal in this state; however Police officers are not trained in identifying weather or not the exhaust that is currently on your vehicle came from the factory.

The second issue is the sound. anything lower than 95db at 2500 rpm is legal; however the officer does not have a DB reading meter. The acceptable norm is the officer can site you for a fix it ticket in which you have to take car to a DB testing facility to have it signed off.

You can fight the ticket in court, and probably win if you can present the evedence in your favor well enough. I choose to swap on my factory cat back get the ticket signed and pay my $25.

California is rough on modified cars. I have noticed it varies by city on how strict the officers are.

Good luck
Old 07-05-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Usually if not driving like a douche you should be ok. Ive driven past cops straight piped and catless before with no problems.
I was granny shifting at 2k rpm, driving very slowly. This occurred in Menlo Park.

This ticket is non-correctable though, which means not only must I "fix it", but I must pay the fine no matter what unless I fight it and win. For fix it tickets, you can have the fine dismissed. Not for non-correctable tickets.

I requested information on why my exhaust was violating the law when I was pulled over, and cited the db noise limit, to which the officer said he had no knowledge of that.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Pastapuck

I was granny shifting at 2k rpm, driving very slowly. This occurred in Menlo Park.

This ticket is non-correctable though, which means not only must I "fix it", but I must pay the fine no matter what unless I fight it and win. P For fix it tickets, you can have the fine dismissed. Not for non-correctable tickets.

I requested information on why my exhaust was violating the law when I was pulled over, and cited the db noise limit, to which the officer said he had no knowledge of that.
Both my subies have no muffler, twin exit - blast pipe style exhaust and I've never had issues in the Menlo park area

My cars are pretty stock looking beside the exhaust and lowered suspension though
Old 07-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
I've got a Nameless dual 5" on my GR and never get hassled, but I live in Oakland, there are so few cops they have more important things to do than harass me.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Pastapuck
I was granny shifting at 2k rpm, driving very slowly. This occurred in Menlo Park. This ticket is non-correctable though, which means not only must I "fix it", but I must pay the fine no matter what unless I fight it and win. For fix it tickets, you can have the fine dismissed. Not for non-correctable tickets. I requested information on why my exhaust was violating the law when I was pulled over, and cited the db noise limit, to which the officer said he had no knowledge of that.
Non correctable isn't a sign off ticket. You can make it one by going to court. If you do not want bother putting your stock catback on just pay the fine. It works the same way with a tint ticket. You can just pay it off or get it taken off and signed if it's correctable.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Maddad whisper or Borla Hush.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Ticket Questions