i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Evo crash @ infineon this weekend, have questions... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/evo-crash-%40-infineon-weekend-have-questions-216381/)

Krinkov 03-02-2010 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=jagstyle;2823301]here's the aftermath:

[url]http://evoempire.org/index.php/topic/6969-february-27-28-nasa-at-infineon/page__st__40[/url][/QUOTE]

first thing I saw on that link...

[QUOTE=redvolution;2823301]Apparently an Evo wrecked near T8?

And Lurk is talking **** about evoempire: [url]https://www.i-club.com/fo...332&postcount=7[/url] [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE= SavageEvo8;2823301]when isnt that ****head talking ****... hes got nothing better to do. [/QUOTE]

Lurk talking ****? ORLY??? busted BAHAHA!! :rofl:

Lurk 03-02-2010 02:24 AM

[QUOTE=Krinkov;2823395]first thing I saw on that link...

Lurk talking ****? ORLY??? busted BAHAHA!! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

:surprise:

Thicker skin. Get some.

Lurk 03-02-2010 02:41 AM

BTW, more than a few ppl on that forum need this T-shirt:
[IMG]http://rlv.zcache.com/oooohhh_im_telling_mom_tshirt-p2357337461565379794ulm_400.jpg[/IMG]

FW Motorsports 03-02-2010 08:29 AM

[B][SIZE="7"]It'll buff out!![/SIZE][/B]

Lowend 03-02-2010 09:03 AM

And [I]that [/I]folks is why I don't go to Sears Point

Just too much concrete to hit

PaulSTI 03-02-2010 09:32 AM

I talked to my contact at Works just now. He told me that the driver had chosen to use slicks because the track was drying out. Sadly, there was a puddle on the outside of turn 8 and he lost it. From what it sounds like, the driver is fine, bumps and bruises only.

I agree, Sears Point is a challenging track, I've driven in several times, and the S-curves on the back stretch (of which turn 8 is one) are among the most dangerous things I've ever experienced in a car. The problem is that these turns require a specific turning point at a specific speed, however they look deceptively like they don't require as much of a turn and therefore can be taken at high speed with little or no braking. The trick is a brief firm braking action upon entry, and a specific amount of turn-in.

I've seen a lot of hate for Sears Point in this thread and in other threads, but it's a far more appropriate track for our cars than Thunderhill is (which I've also driven). I guarantee that you can post better lap times relative to very powerful cars on Sears Point if you know what you're doing. On Thunderhill, you'll get blown away by straightaways that FR driving Corvette owners can use all 550hp, which they can never do on Sears Point. Respect the track, but over-simplification by saying it's a bad track is inappropriate.

Irish_car_B0mb 03-02-2010 09:36 AM

Who is going to thunderhill in april?

I will be up there and if the wife doesn't go I 'd be willing to share a room with someone to split cost.

I'm going up both days so let me know.

Electra 03-02-2010 09:43 AM

Damn that car is mashed to ****...that sucks :(

LOL @ Paul "That'll buff out!" :lol:

[QUOTE=PaulSTI;2823508]I talked to my contact at Works just now. He told me that the driver had chosen to use slicks because the track was drying out. Sadly, there was a puddle on the outside of turn 8 and he lost it. From what it sounds like, the driver is fine, bumps and bruises only.
<<snip>>[/QUOTE]

I was reading the start of this thread and I was going to post up "Where's PaulSTI? He would know! Where's Paul!!?" but I guess I cant now... :(
Glad he's okay, maybe next time he will hold off on the slicks... :punchy:

PaulSTI 03-02-2010 10:39 AM

Haha, thanks Electra. Saw this one, and figured I had to respond.

Electra 03-02-2010 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=PaulSTI;2823561]Haha, thanks Electra. Saw this one, and figured I had to respond.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am pretty sure you are morally obligated to some degree...:noidea:

lol you called me 'Electra' lol sounds so weird coming from you haha

chimchimm5 03-02-2010 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=PaulSTI;2823508]I talked to my contact at Works just now. He told me that the driver had chosen to use slicks because the track was drying out. Sadly, there was a puddle on the outside of turn 8 and he lost it. From what it sounds like, the driver is fine, bumps and bruises only.

I agree, Sears Point is a challenging track, I've driven in several times, and the S-curves on the back stretch (of which turn 8 is one) are among the most dangerous things I've ever experienced in a car. The problem is that these turns require a specific turning point at a specific speed, however they look deceptively like they don't require as much of a turn and therefore can be taken at high speed with little or no braking. The trick is a brief firm braking action upon entry, and a specific amount of turn-in.

I've seen a lot of hate for Sears Point in this thread and in other threads, but it's a far more appropriate track for our cars than Thunderhill is (which I've also driven). I guarantee that you can post better lap times relative to very powerful cars on Sears Point if you know what you're doing. On Thunderhill, you'll get blown away by straightaways that FR driving Corvette owners can use all 550hp, which they can never do on Sears Point. Respect the track, but over-simplification by saying it's a bad track is inappropriate.[/QUOTE]

+1

I love Infineon.

The high risk of damage on runoff just means you gotta drive with more margin of safety, or be even more ready to lose the car in a crash.

And while the esses may be described as "deceptive", this is part of the challenge. As skill that many people don't seem to put as a high priority for learning is reading the road (undulations as well as conditions), and being sensitive to the cars weight transfers. The fact that 8/9/10 are all linked really catches people out... but controlling a swinging weight is still a part of driving skill. The problem is weight transfers are never taught to people besides "straight brake, turn in, hit the apex, unwind".

If the conditions are risky, go slower.

I understand that for some people that level of self discipline is hard, so it would be better just to avoid infineon all together. To each his/her own.

But really, the rhythm of Infineon is just amazing. When you're in the groove, the car just dances.

subie OCD 03-02-2010 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=chimchimm5;2823593]If the conditions are risky, go slower.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Don't need to go balls out to have some fun. I treat skateboarding the same way as I get older.

woocabin 03-02-2010 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=subie OCD;2823634]Bingo. Don't need to go balls out to have some fun. I treat skateboarding the same way as I get older.[/QUOTE]

+1

off topic: i ate it on my skateboard on thursday. i have a fractured hip and elbow. =p

Electra 03-02-2010 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=woocabin;2823669]+1

off topic: i ate it on my skateboard on thursday. i have a fractured hip and elbow. =p[/QUOTE]

:eek: OMG!!! get lots of rest!! Let us know if you need anything!

I am sure you and brucelee can hang out in the gimp ward together :( jk jk ;)

PaulSTI 03-02-2010 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Electra;2823562]Yeah I am pretty sure you are morally obligated to some degree...:noidea:

lol you called me 'Electra' lol sounds so weird coming from you haha[/QUOTE]

Would you rather I call you something else? =D