EQ Tuning News and Updates!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:07 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I like the new coolingmist setup as well as aquamist.
We're actually almost done with our new oil cooler system as well. It incorporates a thermostat to bypass the cooler in colder weather and on warmup.

This thread started out about our engine builds but it has turned into a general q/a and update thread, so it's a great place for these questions.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 2006 Corvette Z06
On a side note Ed, how long do you think it would take someone to read through all 30 pages to catch up with you guys? lol

And cmon with they dynooo!!! I know you guys are doing it right, just anxious
Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 07 specB
Originally Posted by DerekB707
I had to laugh when I seen what she did, according to the chart, I have the only 400+ whp VF39 subie. Power comes on like at 1000 rpm's too.
DAMN! maybe we should have her start tuning for us!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by icrashevos
On a side note Ed, how long do you think it would take someone to read through all 30 pages to catch up with you guys? lol

And cmon with they dynooo!!! I know you guys are doing it right, just anxious
That might take a little while.

The dyno is going in right, so we're taking our time with it

-- Ed
Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Car Info: occasionally
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I like the new coolingmist setup as well as aquamist.
We're actually almost done with our new oil cooler system as well. It incorporates a thermostat to bypass the cooler in colder weather and on warmup.
For the GR? Count me in if so I remember you were working on a setup for the GD first.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Any update on the catch cans? Price? Pics?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 AM

Car Info: 2010 STI
sent you guys an email inquiry, read it :P
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by MattLGT
For the GR? Count me in if so I remember you were working on a setup for the GD first.
We are just about done with the GD setup, so we just need to make a simple bracket for the GR.

-- Ed
Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by dozenutts
Any update on the catch cans? Price? Pics?
Here is the latest on the catch cans: https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-158/eq-tuning-new-baffled-catch-cans-220576/

Still working on the TMIC version. There's just not much room in there .

-- Ed
Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by scoo*B
DAMN! maybe we should have her start tuning for us!
Lol
Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Just had an interesting little issue today I'd like to share with you guys.

One of our customers took out his transmission and brought it in to us to install some RA gears. Once it was finished, he picked it up and he and his friend installed it back into the car. A few days later he calls up and says that his boost is now lower and the car is running very rich. I told him that this was most likely a boost leak and to check around for loose clamps and such. He didn't find anything right off the bat so he took the car to another Subaru shop that is much closer to to where he lives for a quick inspection. At that shop, he was told that he clearly didn't have any boost leaks but the car was just running rich and should be re-tuned. He then decided to bring the car back in to us today to verify the diagnosis.

I hopped in the car with a laptop and as soon as I connected to the ECU, I could see the fuel trims were maxed out on the negative side. After a quick drive, I could also see that his WOT a/f was pegging the wideband rich (bellow 10:1) and the turbo was spooling up slowly. These are all classic text book symptoms of a significant boost leak and by the look of the fuel trims, the majority of the leak would have to be localized between the turbo and throttle body. Combine this with the fact that the customer just pulled and re-installed the TMIC, and the problem should be very clear to anyone with any trouble shooting or tuning experience.

So after the initial diagnostics, I was 99% sure there was a significant leak between the throttle body and turbo. So we pulled the car in and performed a boost leak test by pressurizing the intake tract. We found one of the TMIC clamps was damaged and not holding the coupler tight, the BOV gasket was damaged and leaking, the BOV adjustment screw was leaking, and the boost gauge line was cracked and leaking as well. We fixed all the leaks, verified that there were no others, and took the car out again for a test run. Now the a/f and boost levels were exactly on target as they were tuned originally and the fuel trims were back near 0% where they should be as well.

The moral of the story is be very careful when working on your car or letting friends work on your car. Always verify your work by testing for leaks any time major components have been off the car. And finally, be very careful about who trouble shoots your car and what they may be trying to sell you.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 06-29-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Last Saturday one of our vendors from theboombopshop.com came up from so-cal to get his 2010 STI tuned again. He added an ATP GT3076 with EWG, some EL headers, Injen CAI, ID 1000cc injectors, and a fuel pump. He's still running the STOCK TMIC which actually performed surprisingly well at these power levels. This tune was done at 20psi peak on straight 91 Octane:

After the tune, we installed some Group-N engine mounts as the stockers were not holding up well to the power levels. We also rolled the rear fenders to allow for clearance on those nice 19" wheels

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 07 2.5i SE OBP
Do you guys open source tune?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:54 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
^ yes they do
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 2010 STI
I wonder how far the 2010 STI's engine can be pushed.....or about where their "threshold" is.... Amazing job there EQ =D

Quick Reply: EQ Tuning News and Updates!