EQ Tuning News and Updates!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
EQ Tuning News and Updates!

In this thread we will be posting updates and pictures from the shop along with any new products and services we develop. This is the perfect place to ask us any technical questions and we'll try to answer them as well as possible.

Look for semi-daily updates with all the new developments at the shop!

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 06-29-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:52 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
Nice! Good to hear another success story for a local shop.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

On to the next project...

This 05 STI was driven down from Reno. It had previously been set up and tuned by another shop. On my last tuning trip to Reno the owner wanted to get a re-tune at elevation. After a quick pre-tune inspection, I informed the customer that his engine had severe damage and I could not do the tune. Since then we planned out a good setup for him and he delivered the car to our shop about a week ago. As soon as the previous build was finished, Adam and Chris quickly pulled the engine and disassembled everything. Once we pulled the engine apart, here's what we found:

These are pistons #2 and #4 and the pieces on top are big chunks of the ringlands. Can anyone say major detonation?

We will be building an engine for this car in house with forged pistons, rods, coated bearings, cams, valvetrain, etc. Then we'll get a nice turbo on it, clean up all the previous wiring, and tune it to perfection both at sea level and up in Reno to make sure the new engine lasts a long long time!

The heads, pistons, and block are going to the machine shop on Tuesday for inspection, boring, honing, and general clean-up. Then its time to assemble the nice new engine and put everything back together. This car should be done in the next 3-4 weeks depending on the final setup we decide on with the customer. One thing to be sure of is that this will be another well built EQ car! We'll post updates as things come together.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

So what's next?

Today we got another car dropped off for yet another engine swap and general build up. This car also came in and was diagnosed to have a blown engine (at least one ringland). So we planned out a setup with the customer and we're going to get started disassembling it today.

Here is the nice 05 STI:

And here is the nice new Raw1 Performance track series block that will be going in:

We will also be building the heads, installing various new parts, cleaning up previous installs, and of course laying down a great tune. The heads will be delivered to the machine shop on Tuesday as well. As always we'll keep you guys updated on the build and final results!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Car Info: WRX
Wow amazing!!
Congrats on hthe first swap!!

Everything is coming together smoothly i see
Old 12-13-2008, 01:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

And what's next still??

Once everything is at the machine shop, we'll be bringing in two more cars for engine builds who have been waiting very patiently. One is a black bugeye getting a 2.5l shortblock and built 2.0l heads with cams. The other is another 05 STI that will be getting an EQ built engine and various other parts installed. All cars will of course be tuned as well

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 12-13-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:36 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

And here's a little bird's eye view shot of the shop today:

The yellow bug-eye is getting an EWG UP and turbo inlet installed. This is very minor compared to the projects we have going, but we always complete all service, no matter how small or large, with the utmost attention to detail!

We want to thank everyone for all the great support we've received to date and we can't wait to get more quality, immaculate builds to our excellent customers! You guys have blessed us with more business than we could have ever dreamed of and we really owe all of this to you!

Thanks

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 12-13-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Crawford S2 block and ported heads

Awwwww, damn... Just tell him and make him sign a disclaimer form saying that if the car's engine blows, it is not the fault of EQ in any way, shape, or form. By using Crawford parts you're setting yourself up for some hard times... I always hate to see good people buy Crawford/I-speed garbage.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Car Info: A car with 4 wheels and a boxer engine.
Oh dang, that guy has the same WRB as I do.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:51 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by brucelee
Awwwww, damn... Just tell him and make him sign a disclaimer form saying that if the car's engine blows, it is not the fault of EQ in any way, shape, or form. By using Crawford parts you're setting yourself up for some hard times... I always hate to see good people buy Crawford/I-speed garbage.
Of course everyone signs the standard disclaimers and the customer is well aware of the parts he brought in.

To be fair, however, Crawford engines have gotten a lot better in the past year or so. The tolerances have gotten much tighter and we've run a few of their blocks with great success. I know they've had some issues in the past, but they seem to have redeemed themselves with the latest generation engines. Now I'm not saying that we necessarily recommend their blocks, but for the sake of being fair, we have used several in the past with no issues.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 02:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by DiS oNe GuY
Oh dang, that guy has the same WRB as I do.
We'll put your car up as well once we get everything cleaned up and tuned!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
EQ FTW! Their shops has been getting 2 or 3 new engine builds/swaps EVERY week! Adam and Chris are bustin their butts turning them out in no time with serious attention to detail. Ed's tuning like a madman and they still found time to help me out with my springs today... amidst 2 motor swaps and a tuning appointment after an ewg install....

Seriously, EQ FTW.

Oh... and tons of Cobb parts ordered and delivered in 1.5 DAYS!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
+1 for EQ!!! i'm having a blast working there, thanks again fellas! and thanks to all the people supporting the shop!
________
Montana Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Putting the cars to bed....

I'm getting used to the sight of a full house
Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by crfsti
+1 for EQ!!! i'm having a blast working there, thanks again fellas! and thanks to all the people supporting the shop!
Chris, we're proud to have you as the newest member of the EQ team! Your amazing attention to detail and methodical approach fits right in here and we couldn't ask for more!

Big thanks to Adam and Sonya as well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EQ Tuning News and Updates!