EQ Tuning New Baffled Catch Cans!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
EQ Tuning New Baffled Catch Cans!

The Equilibrium Tuning Catch Can is constructed from laser cut aluminum and TIG welded in house for optimum quality control. Each can is then powder coated with a satin black finish for a clean OEM appearance. The kit consists of the internally baffled catch can, properly sized quality push lock hose, a quick drain valve for easy maintenance, and all fittings and zip ties necessary for a complete installation.

Application: 2002-2010 WRX/STI with Front Mount Intercooler Only. TMIC version coming soon!

Price: $299

The cans are currently available from us directly or from Import Image Racing:
http://www.importimageracing.com/p/E...0-WRX-STi.html

Technical Writeup:

All catch cans attempt to solve the same problem: separate oil, fuel, and water vapor from the blow-by gasses released from the engine’s breather ports. Normally, these vapors are sucked back into the intake tract and pollute the turbo, intercooler, and overall air/fuel mixture with oil. This can greatly reduce the efficiency of the intercooler as well as lower the effective octane of the combustion mixture. Both of these factors are main contributors to knock or pre-ignition which not only reduces power, but can cause severe engine damage over time.

A catch can is a container installed in-line with the breather ports and intake tract that attempts to catch the oil, fuel , and water vapors while allowing the left over gasses to flow through. Most catch cans on the market are simple containers with a couple hose fittings. Such cans don’t actually catch any fluids because the vapors are allowed to easily flow through the can and back into the intake tract, essentially rendering the catch can useless. The EQ Tuning Catch Can incorporates a strategically placed internal baffle to provide increased surface area and a swirl effect that allows the fluid vapors to separate from the gasses. The fluids are collected in the can and the left over dry gasses flow back to the intake to be combusted. This keeps your intercooler and inlet clean, which keeps your engine performing consistently and safely.

Recently, there have been a few “air/oil separator” products on the market that separate the fluids from the blow-by gasses, and instead of storing them in a container, they release the fluids back into the engine’s fresh oil supply. While this seems like a tempting solution, there is a problem. In a healthy running engine less than half of the blow-by fluids consist of oil. The rest consists of fuel and water vapors which are very poor lubricators and can severely contaminate your engine’s oil supply. Prolonged oil contamination can result in pre-maturely worn engine bearings and turbo failures. Instead, the EQ Tuning Catch Can collects all fluids inside the container and can later be emptied using the included quick drain valve. This keeps your oil clean and your bearings happy.

Here is an example of what our can catches over the course of about 1000 miles of driving:

I wouldn't want to put that right back into my fresh oil supply!

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 06-24-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
oh man i want!!!! i have the perrin oil catch can, and that is a PITA to clean!!! I have to take out and clean out all the foam media inside of the perrin which has all that nasty fluid all over them, and it gets all over my hands and driveway... this seems like a great solution, ill be seeing you guys soon!!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Yep... the quick drain valve makes it nice and easy to empty it!

-- Ed
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 03 Evo 8
bump!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 Hybrid WRB WRX
ooooooohhh ahhhhhhh... I Want.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
How much installed!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:24 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

It takes about 1-1.5 hour for a nice clean install.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Car Info: occasionally
Is there any downside to the contents freezing in the winter, besides having to warm it up to empty it?

I've read conflicting things about how practical catch cans are in the winter. Some say they're fine as long as you empty them more frequently so that they won't burst if they freeze.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Car Info: Black 2006 STI
This looks like a great product EQ crew! I'm ready for the TMIC catch can. Any idea when it will be ready?? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by MattLGT
Is there any downside to the contents freezing in the winter, besides having to warm it up to empty it?

I've read conflicting things about how practical catch cans are in the winter. Some say they're fine as long as you empty them more frequently so that they won't burst if they freeze.
That's an interesting point. I would imagine that would depend highly on what's actually in the catch can. If its mostly water vapor, I could see freezing being a potential problem, although I really don't see the can ever bursting from freezing as its not a completely sealed system. Excess pressure can escape via the breather ports as the fluids expand while freezing. That being said, most of the contents that are caught in the can should be fuel and oil vapor. These should be much more difficult to freeze, so I doubt you would ever run into any issues. It may be a much slower process to empty it however .

-- Ed
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by toofast4u2
This looks like a great product EQ crew! I'm ready for the TMIC catch can. Any idea when it will be ready?? Thanks!
Thanks!

The TMIC version is in the works. I would expect it to be out in the next month.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

bump
Old 07-05-2010, 07:24 PM

Car Info: Black 2006 STI
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Thanks!

The TMIC version is in the works. I would expect it to be out in the next month.

Thanks
-- Ed
Ok i'll take one as soon as you have one available for a TMIC. =)
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by toofast4u2
Ok i'll take one as soon as you have one available for a TMIC. =)
We're working on it!

-- Ed
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Car Info: sti
So you would be having less oil in your motor from what i'm reading. Is it better to have less oil in your car or to have some dirty oil running through your car? Trying to compare other catch cans like the grimmspeed or crawford.

Quick Reply: EQ Tuning New Baffled Catch Cans!