Detailing Supplies

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Detailing Supplies

(apparently the link with gmail isn't working right now, hence the alternate sn)

Where is the Bay can one find detailing gear? I bought a Porter Cable off Amazon and it should be coming in today. Unfortunately I bought a 6" backing plate and 6.5" pads, which is seemingly the wrong size for the the tool. I really was looking forward to trying everything out this weekend, but I don't want to go ahead with the wrong size pads and dump the money down the train. Anyone have any recommendations as to where I could find a new backing plate (Home Depot most likely) and buffer pads?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Any paint supply shop will have all that stuff.

Or drop a line to detail addict and see what he can hook you up with.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Your 6.5" pads will be okay. You just won't get as much cutting/polishing ability than what you would with a 5.5" or small pad.

If you are doing some minor correcting or polishing, the pads should be plenty. What type of products are you using? What about your procedure?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by darkonion
Your 6.5" pads will be okay. You just won't get as much cutting/polishing ability than what you would with a 5.5" or small pad.

If you are doing some minor correcting or polishing, the pads should be plenty. What type of products are you using? What about your procedure?
I've never done any DA work before. I'm going to actually work on a 1996 E320 wagon (forest green) first, as its low risk and I'm just going to be trying my hand. On hand I have all Meguiars products: clay, quick detailer, ultimate compound, swirl x, and nxt wax. I was going to machine-apply probably just the swirl x and wax after I clay the car this weekend. It could probably use Ultimate compound as well, but I think I might try it with less heavyweight products before moving into something more serious. I know their mirror finish product line is supposed to be a lot better so I'll probably stock up on some before I do my car, sometime in the next month or so.

As for procedure, I've watched all the Junkman youtubes, so I think I've got a decent idea how things should go. Obviously I'll know more once I get started, but at least I should have some idea of how to begin.

Also: if I do the car this weekend and go back in a month or two and do everything again with another set of products, that isn't an issue right?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Bascom Trim and Upolstery
Old 06-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by PArex
I've never done any DA work before. I'm going to actually work on a 1996 E320 wagon (forest green) first, as its low risk and I'm just going to be trying my hand. On hand I have all Meguiars products: clay, quick detailer, ultimate compound, swirl x, and nxt wax. I was going to machine-apply probably just the swirl x and wax after I clay the car this weekend. It could probably use Ultimate compound as well, but I think I might try it with less heavyweight products before moving into something more serious. I know their mirror finish product line is supposed to be a lot better so I'll probably stock up on some before I do my car, sometime in the next month or so.

As for procedure, I've watched all the Junkman youtubes, so I think I've got a decent idea how things should go. Obviously I'll know more once I get started, but at least I should have some idea of how to begin.

Also: if I do the car this weekend and go back in a month or two and do everything again with another set of products, that isn't an issue right?
It really depends on how severe your paint is. You can use most of the stuff you listed, and be just fine. You mostly listed off-the-shelf stuff. I don't think it is as aggressive as the Professional line, so don't expect as good/as fast of results.

As for your second question. You can use a different set of products just fine. You might not need to go through the whole spectrum though. Next time, you might just need to do a lighter clay bar job and a light polish and wax, but yeah... it really isn't an issue.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
Awesome, this thread has been very reassuring. Thanks for the knowledge guys.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Here is what I would do... You want to start with the least aggressive polish first. So... I am not sure what's the least aggressive...

Anyways... this is what you should do... start with a white or black pad with the least aggressive polish. Black is less aggressive than white. Anyways... on your backing plate, use a Sharpie and put some tick marks on it. Maybe 2 or 3 evenly spread out. Start polishing on 4. Apply enough pressure such that the ticks are still rotating. Pushing down too hard will get the tick marks to stop moving. Start with that and see what type of results you get. If it doesn't work out, bump up to 5, then to six.

If the paint is really severely damaged, you might have to use a more aggressive pad and/or polish/compound. After doing that, remember to follow up with a least aggressive polish. Kind of like sanding. Don't forget to work down the polish. You'll know when it is done when it starts to turn clear and translucent.

Good luck.