craigslist scammers and im bored

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
craigslist scammers and im bored

just bored and wanted to share...
i currently have my 280z for sale on craigslist, and i always get these scam emails, but this time, i was bored and getting tired of all the BS... so i finally replied to one...

this guys name is troy or so it says by his email, and he is some kind of agent in south africa that saw my car and wants to pay me by cashiers check and wants to handle shipping and basically just give me money.... yea right!

so here's one i came up w/ at 230 in the morning w/ absolutely nothing to do and just a little bit of boredom coming out:

"why does everyone want to use cashiers check? is it like the new "in" thing to do, if i did that with my other deals would that make me cool? damn, your email is graffiti.net, are you a tagger? do you have any insignia on any subways or trains, maybe i've seen your sign before, does it have a horse like the one in the movie troy, or maybe it's the whole trojan man, maybe you use the trojan condom type thing? are you from troy? do you know achilles? i think he was from sparta however i do believe he's been to troy before, in fact i think he died in troy? supposedly he got shot in the back of his foot, i believe thats why its called the achilles tendon or what not... why do you want to handle the shipping?how bout you just pay me extra and i bring the car to you personally or how bout you just use that time to come here, give me cash and pick it up yourself? that would be a great way of making a fun trip out of business... eh, im tired, time to take a ****"

any feedback on however else i couldve continued on w/ the randomness?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:32 AM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX Hatch
I don't think you should deal with anyone that offers a cashier's check. There was this article in our paper (hawaii) that told about a guy who got scammed by a south african. Anyway, he was selling i think 12 ukuleles on ebay and this guy from africa makes him an offer and sends him a check for 3,000. He brings the check to the bank and they say its legit. So he finalizes the deal with the african guy, but the guy says that he only wants like 6 of them and wants half of his money back. So he writes a check for 1300 and sends the 6 ukuleles to him. But later on the bank tells him that the 3000 check was a fake. So in the end he lost 6 ukes and 1300 bux.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 AM
This Guy Can Hella Draw!

Car Info: '14 MBP FXT | '03 WW Evo VIII
Originally Posted by krzyxrevver12
any feedback on however else i couldve continued on w/ the randomness?
Did you live in South Africa at the time of apartheid? That must have been tough... Or really nice. I guess it depends on a few things. Have you ever met Nelson Mandela? He seems pretty cool.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
a bank can't tell you if a check is legit or not unless the person really screwed up the account/routing #'s on the fake check, generally when someone makes a fake check the routing #'s are legit and lead to a real bank, but its the account # that is fake. It is ok to take a cashiers check for an item, but i'd suggest waiting 10-15 days before shipping out an item unless it's a cashiers check drawn on a bank like bank of america or wellsfargo...in that case, take the check to the respective bank and ask to cash it...If you cash a bank of america cashiers check at a bank of america there is no way that cashiers check is a fake.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
most of the buyers who say they want to pay you a cashiers check from a foreign country are con artists, but I have dealt with some dudes from the netherlands on ebay and they bought over 1500 dollars worth of merchandise from me and everything went well.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
Originally Posted by OwlBoogie
Did you live in South Africa at the time of apartheid? That must have been tough... Or really nice. I guess it depends on a few things. Have you ever met Nelson Mandela? He seems pretty cool.
haha.. dude, i seriously got like 6 emails w/ similar stories
Old 07-21-2004, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
speaking of south african con artists, have you guys seen www.419eater.com? hecka funny site about how ppl scammed the scammers.