Corrective Eye Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
Originally Posted by Ddraig
I had LASIK performed about a year and a half ago by Dr. Jay Bansal at LaserVue here in Santa Rosa. I can't recommend them enough. Great staff, great doctor.
the other doctor Scott Hiver that everyone rants about on the radio charges $4000 for both eyes. My buddy at work had his eyes done through him recently and says alot of good things about the doctor, the procedure, and post procedure care. I'm still looking for doctors though. Can I get Dr. Bansai contact info?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
I wanted to get this but I have too much of a stigmatism still.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
I have two aunts who got lasik and swear by it. They said the operation took no more than 5 minutes which felt like a rip but right after the procedure the doctor told them to go home and rest their eyes. When they woke up from their sleep.. THEY COULD SEE! My first aunt had it done a couple years ago and says she hasn't had any problems yet.. plus most respectable doctors have a lifetime err.. tune up? haha sounds weird. anyway, my other aunt has had it for a year and says if you got 5 grand.. DO IT.

My mother on the other hand.. was an early adopter and wasn't so lucky. Her lasik didn't last for more than a year and during that time.. doctors weren't offering lifetime.

Like everyone else said, if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT. You really do get what you pay for.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
I, myself, plan to do it in the future.. when I'm older because of the 'development' stage or w/e
Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Car Info: 03 Bugeye, D675, Lightning
I had it done about two years ago.
It cost me about 3k with elise eye center
It came out very nice. I had pretty bad vision when i went in. Couldn't see the clock when i woke up.. etc. But now i see better than 20/20. Im at 20/15.

However, i will say that although the procedure was now "painful" (b/c they numb your eyes), you can feel the pressure of the cutting thing. IT was crazy! But i would def recommend getting the consult first to see your options. And if you are a good candidate, do it.

The process is you go there. They measure your eye, they drop some anesthetics in your eye. They robe you and hair net you. You lay down on the operation table. The Doc puts something over you eye so you cant blink and you are told to stare at a little light right in front of you and dont take your eyes off of it. Then he puts a cornea cutting tool over your eye and turn it on. it cuts the thin corneal layer so it can be flapped over--exposing you lens. You are still staring at the little light (but now it is really fuzzy) Then the laser does its thing and the little light gets clearer with every shot the laser takes. Then the doc folds the flap back in place and its like he put your glasses back over your eyes. everything is clear but a little hazy. Then he does the next eye. And when he's done, you put on sunglasses and go home.

The healing process was about 2 weeks of wearing goggles when you sleep (so you don't rub your eyes) and months of eye drops (steroids drops and something else) on time all the time. and checkup visits very frequently. If you can keep up with the schedule and you are irresponsible, dont do it. But if you are, then go for it.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 AM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
My wife did Lasik+ couple years back and loved it. She now has 20/15 vision. Paid something a little over 3K for both eyes. Funny she said it smelled like burnt toast when the laser was correcting here eyes.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 AM

thanks for all the info guy, it really helped make my decision. I am 95% sure now that I will go through with the operation. I just have to do my research on some doctors now.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
i had lasik about 5 years ago and have consistently had 20/20 at each of my annual checkups since then. i've had none of the potential side effects of "halos" at night or anything like that.

i'd highly recommend it to anyone who needs glasses or contacts. i wore glasses since i was about 4 years old. the feeling of waking up the next morning with 20/20 was really amazing.

the actual procedure takes about 5 to 10 minutes. the pre-op appointments take some time as they check your vision several times and make a few scans of your eyes. the procedure is: give you a mild sedative, set you up in the machine, surgically remove your cornea, shoot your eye with the lasers, re-attach your cornea, and you're done. it's fast and you don't feel a thing. you can't drive or really do much that day because your vision will be pretty blurry.

the healing process is pretty simple. go home, go to sleep, and you wake up with 20/20 or near vision. don't rub your eyes or submerge your head for a prescribed period of time and you'll be fine. they give you antibiotic eye drops to use for a few days and moisturizing drops if you need them.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
Originally Posted by so steezy
thanks for all the info guy, it really helped make my decision. I am 95% sure now that I will go through with the operation. I just have to do my research on some doctors now.
i too have been contemplating on doing this. although people have told me i look ugly without my glasses, im guessing its cuz they all know me with having glasses, ill just remove the lens and put fake lenses on

at least i can still rock glasses but not prescription
Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM

HaHa, thats true though AVE. I can't picture you without glasses