CHP emission check point.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
heard about it from a buddy earlier(warning me) lol.. but yeah after some research its not mandatory, just let em know you cant and your 4th amendment rights!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
You must obey all commands of a Law Enforcement Officer. Declining a REQUEST is up to you.
What the hell is declining a request?

I find it hard to believe an officer can force you to pull you over and detain you while checking out your vehicle whenever he feels like. Point being my question is does he have the authority to make people pull over and stop them for no reason? Can I simply just keep driving?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by slow04wrx

I find it hard to believe an officer can force you to pull you over and detain you while checking out your vehicle whenever he feels like. Point being my question is does he have the authority to make people pull over and stop them for no reason? Can I simply just keep driving?
The check point was set up with cones funneling the cars into a single lane though past the officer. There would be a big problem if you tried to just drive past.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Just say no straight up. It's just courtesy
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
Well I was always taught, if you ask an officer if you are being detained and for what reason you have to stay. They need probable cause to detain you, but the simple question of "Am I being detained?" is the way out. If they say no OR, go into aforementioned jedi mind tricks (which they will) you can say at that point "thanks for your time" and leave.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bikelok
The check point was set up with cones funneling the cars into a single lane though past the officer. There would be a big problem if you tried to just drive past.
So they are allowed to obstruct traffic and make me late for work?

**** this ****hole state so tired of it. **** the cops doing this, what scumbag bull****.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Do you mind if I search your vehicle?

YES!

Would you please step out of your house and talk to me on the side walk, I can't hear you over the loud party you have in your home.

NO!

Please incriminate yourself by talking to me with out your lawyer present.

NO!

Do you mind if I come in your home, just to make sure everything is OK?

YES!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Someone needs to video tape this crap for us
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Camden ave between union and 85! Just a heads up that theres a smog check set up.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Don't ever talk to cops! Don't ever submit to voluntary roadside smog surveys. Don't ever stop, just keep going like you never seen them. Or go around them if you are lucky enough to be around a business park with other commercial parking lots.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Don't ever talk to cops! Don't ever submit to voluntary roadside smog surveys. Don't ever stop, just keep going like you never seen them. Or go around them if you are lucky enough to be around a business park with other commercial parking lots.
+1 just keep your mouth shut and only answer direct answers. believe it or not, cops feed off what you say and what you say can actually F you over. someone once told me LEO's undergo some communication class, to as one said "use their jedi mind tricks" and its true. if you dont know youre given rights, you might as well tell the cop you are running catless.

been there done that. not in car regards, but in screwing myself over because i thought i was saying the right thing. Just say "no, can i please leave" you know its voluntary, so just keep it simple.

as far as stopping when a LEO requests you to.......why wouldnt you? if you know youre in the right and have no reason for being paranoid, pull over, see what the Dbag wants, and (with knowing your rights) tell him you need to go. once cops know that YOU know your rights, its game over for them. not to mention, im sure there is some gine print law stating when an officer is WAVING you to pull over. Lights and siren, you run, youre an idiot.

my.02
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
If I stop for a sec, all that catless emissions fumigates the air around me. LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
im sure there is some gine print law stating when an officer is WAVING you to pull over. Lights and siren, you run, youre an idiot.

my.02
Yeah, not even fine print. In the vc. and DMV book there is a law requiring you to follow signals given by officers (stop, yield, pull-over etc.). So regular traffic direction and control probably come under that.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by lorry
yeah, not even fine print. In the vc. And dmv book there is a law requiring you to follow signals given by officers (stop, yield, pull-over etc.). So regular traffic direction and control probably come under that.
+1.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Limited and 1998 Legacy GT Wagon
2800(a) VC - It is unlawful to willfully fail or refuse to comply with a lawful order, signal, or direction of a peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, when that peace officer is in uniform and is performing duties pursuant to any of the provisions of this code, or to refuse to submit to a lawful inspection pursuant to this code.

2804 VC - A member of the California Highway Patrol upon reasonable belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any provisions of this code or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle, and its equipment, license plates, and registration card.

Just sayin'... Don't believe everything your read on the interwebs.

Last edited by fx4me2; 03-12-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: CHP emission check point.