Can anyone recommend a Transmission shop?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
Can anyone recommend a Transmission shop?!?!

Hey Guys. I recently purchased a 2002 WRX with a 2005 STI trans... this thing hums like no ones business during acceleration, but no humming while in gear and coasting... any ideas?

it has An Excedy stage 1 clutch and lighten flywheel, and also group n mounts i believe

A guy on NASIOC said this:
"Whining in the transmission more than likely means a bearing of some sort. I bought an 02 WRX wagon in April that had a bad whine in all gears on throttle, but not at neutral or under about 2000 rpm. When I rebuilt the g'box, the center diff bearing was bad and the problem was fixed upon replacement. I put new bearing on the input/output shafts as well. Quiet as a library now."

I just want to make sure I am not causing mor damage to the trans by driving it.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Dale's Transmission in San Jose has a good rep
Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM

what did you have done??? and how much...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
lee myles transmission on oakland, ask for Paul.

had 3 ring and pinion setups, and 2 trannys built for my AE86. great service, and reasonably priced
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
What kind of "humming"? Can you be more specific? Is it a high pitched whine? Does it vibrate?

You said it "hummed" when you're accelerating only? When you're in 5 or 6th gear (or any gear while maintaining speed) and driving 65mph it doesn't whine? It only does it when you're accelerating?

Do you know how many miles are on the tranny, clutch, and flywheel? Is the flywheel stock or aftermarket?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to gather more info before chiming in on what may or may not be happening.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:05 PM

The humming increases in pitch as you accelerate, The humming is ONLY there when you accelerate
No gas no humm
It is in all gears, all speeds
It came with an Exedy Clutch and Exedy Lighted flywheel
Miles on trans is unknown

Seller said the shop said it is due to the lighten flywheel, but I am just being cautious

DCCD not connected so i believe it is in the 35/65 split

Originally Posted by brucelee
What kind of "humming"? Can you be more specific? Is it a high pitched whine? Does it vibrate?

You said it "hummed" when you're accelerating only? When you're in 5 or 6th gear (or any gear while maintaining speed) and driving 65mph it doesn't whine? It only does it when you're accelerating?

Do you know how many miles are on the tranny, clutch, and flywheel? Is the flywheel stock or aftermarket?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to gather more info before chiming in on what may or may not be happening.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Ditto. Finally went to these guys with my car. Fully built IPT 4eat. Started off with a local "tuner" shop near milpitias/san jose. Sorry I did.
Lee Myles knows what they are doing. I will bring my car to them for transmission issues each and every time!

Originally Posted by international B
lee myles transmission on oakland, ask for Paul.

had 3 ring and pinion setups, and 2 trannys built for my AE86. great service, and reasonably priced