Can anyone recommend some header wrap? + header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 99 AW ej205 Coupe // 06 SGM Wagon
I used some high temp paint, DEI Ti wrap, then covered it with DEI silicone spray (to keep moisture out) and some metal ties. It's held up nicely so far, no tearing/ripping yet.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat
I just bought the header for 400 i dont want to spend another 250 cus then it would of been the same price to just buy the header new lol
Then just use some DEI titanium wrap as others said. You probably need more than 50' to wrap both headers and UP. Get 2" wide wrap.

Amazon seems to have best pricing on DEI
Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I've heard good about the DEI also.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Mr.Carl
I used some high temp paint, DEI Ti wrap, then covered it with DEI silicone spray (to keep moisture out) and some metal ties. It's held up nicely so far, no tearing/ripping yet.
That's a good way to go... and then do what I said about keeping an eye on it during oil changes as the stuff doesn't last forever and you might need to reapply.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Originally Posted by Heedz
I've heard good about the DEI also.
the DEI website has a wrap calculator: input pipe OD, length, wrap width and it spits out estimate of feet of wrap needed. OEM collectors may be hard to estimate due to odd size, but at least its a stab in the dark.

the lava/titanium seems to be the stuff of choice... gonna do my whole system, block to turbo when I do my UP swap.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Here is something you should factor in when making this decision. The cost of materials plus your time. As Oneman pointed out, the wrap wont last forever and you will have to remove the header and go through the process of wrapping all over again. Now whats your time worth? Is the $150-200 you will save (in the beginning) wrapping it worth it in the long run? Swain will out last wrap by many years easily. Swain coating will not absorb oil and then become a potential fire hazard. Water will not get between the coating and the metal, water will not cause swain coating to break down. If you want to go back to stock a swain coated header or part, IMO, would have a better resale than one that's been wrapped. If you are going to do something, do it RIGHT and do it ONCE..
Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
in theory... but on the new one then you'd have to pay $250 to get it coated so it would still be $250 more...

The wrap is fine. Just check it every time you do an oil change. If it's starting to look gnarly you might have to consider doing it again. Take your time. The better job you do the better it will hold up.

You're gonna be all perrin'd out pretty soon here.
The plan is to get a full sponsorship lolol

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Here is something you should factor in when making this decision. The cost of materials plus your time. As Oneman pointed out, the wrap wont last forever and you will have to remove the header and go through the process of wrapping all over again. Now whats your time worth? Is the $150-200 you will save (in the beginning) wrapping it worth it in the long run? Swain will out last wrap by many years easily. Swain coating will not absorb oil and then become a potential fire hazard. Water will not get between the coating and the metal, water will not cause swain coating to break down. If you want to go back to stock a swain coated header or part, IMO, would have a better resale than one that's been wrapped. If you are going to do something, do it RIGHT and do it ONCE..
I sent them an email to get an idea of pricing and what not. id need to find a box as well
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
I bought 2 of the 2" x 50' rolls of the DEI Titanium and it was enough to wrap my Tomei EL headers and up pipe.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat

I sent them an email to get an idea of pricing and what not. id need to find a box as well
Here you go

Swaintech Pricing

(copied from site)
Subaru Flat Header $225 approx.
Header estimate for header only. Separate collectors or other separate tubing is priced separately from the header.
Pipes, Down Pipe, Crossover, Collector, etc. $40/foot approx.

Hopefully they will give you a package deal.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
It will be 350+ including 2-way shipping to get Swaintech coating. I did it less than a year ago. In my case headers were shipped to Swaintech directly from a store, so I saved a few bucks on that.

Coating will probably keep more heat inside but engine bay temps maybe lower with a good wrap. I have both right now. Just coating wasn't enough to keep underhood temps down. I also got an undertray insulation material burnt when I had just Swaintech coating.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
I have found that no coating regardless of who does it is as efficient at keeping the heat within the pipe as a proper wrap job! I have also found that one of the largest causes of underhood engine fire on street cars is header wrap.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by gst motorsports
i have found that no coating regardless of who does it is as efficient at keeping the heat within the pipe as a proper wrap job! I have also found that one of the largest causes of underhood engine fire on street cars is header wrap.
lolz!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
I have found that no coating regardless of who does it is as efficient at keeping the heat within the pipe as a proper wrap job! I have also found that one of the largest causes of underhood engine fire on street cars is header wrap.
in agreeance with OneManArmy here...

+1 on what Mike said.

now i might want to check in to that DEI silicone spray...although that does nothing in case of oil leakage igniting...