BREAKING: gun shots at a san jose mall!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
a lot of adults have the same issue...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Car Info: 1993.5 toyota supra, 05 AW Sti
Originally Posted by cracker1252
a lot of adults have the same issue...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
What is a hand gun, fully automatic firearm, and/or assault type firearm a tool for?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by SomethingClassy
What is a hand gun, fully automatic firearm, and/or assault type firearm a tool for?
Same as a paintball gun, or whatever... It's fun as hell to go shooting and you can use it for protection.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
great point. but tell me how you would teach someone to use a gun/sti responsibly.
A gun, simple. I do what I have done with many friends. A day at the range, first few hours teaching basics like safe handling and drilling into their heads how to care and be safe with the firearms. Then the rest of the day shooting, practice, and again more safety drills.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Its immaterial what its used for. The constitution is quite clear that we, the people are given the right to arm ourselves. Not for hunting, not for target practice, but to protect ourselves from criminals, and our own government.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
Originally Posted by Overbear
A gun, simple. I do what I have done with many friends. A day at the range, first few hours teaching basics like safe handling and drilling into their heads how to care and be safe with the firearms. Then the rest of the day shooting, practice, and again more safety drills.
thats just one person you are teaching though.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX Hatchback
There was a drill this morning at Valley Fair mall in SJ/SC. It ran until 9 or 9:30am, before the mall was open.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM

great point. but tell me how you would teach someone to use a gun/sti responsibly.
Well, for starters, society can stop treating guns like "water sports," i.e. taboo, and actually start to talk about them. Instead of teaching kids to think "ooh, guns, scary" we can teach children (and adults) how to handle firearms responsibly so that they aren't so many accidental firearm-related deaths.

Take knives for instance - do we feel the best policy is to just keep them hidden and hope the kids don't find them? Or, instead, do we teach ours kids that yes, they're sharp, but when handled carefully and used responsibly, they are greatly useful tools? Firearms are no different. People need to quit acting like they're some kind of forbidden fruit and treat them like they're a part of everyday life, because they are.
________
Bbw ****ing

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 PM

First of all, "assault type firearm," just like "assault weapon" is a stupid term. It means nothing. All weapons are or can be used to "assault," although the legislature would have you believe that a firearm holding 10 rounds of ammo is somehow less "assault-y" than one holding 11 rounds.

In any case, yes, the purpose of firearms is to make things dead. While they can be used for recreational purposes, oftentimes, those "recreational purposes" often involve honing one's skills to better make things dead. So what? A gun's purpose is just as important, and just as relevant in today's society as a car, a wrench, or any other tool. In fact, in many ways, a gun is probably THE most important tool. To think otherwise is not only naive, but dangerous. The more people are led to believe that guns have no purpose in today's society, the closer we get to disarmament of the citizenry. Once that happens...
________
Oregon medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I agree that a gun is a tool - but a weapon like a gun allows a vast increase in the delivery of damage versus a stick - which is also a weapon. A stick is also a lot less likely to do damage to some bystander.

I don't know if I agree with easy CCW laws or not, I kind of like the open carry idea better, but having a loaded rapid fire distance weapon to hand, greatly increases the total amount of damage that can be inflicted, rightly or wrongly.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I've thought about this a bit, I would suggest a middle ground, allow SR .25 caliber, 4 shot semi automatics to be CCW easily.

I think if you are gunning for someone, and they are close enough to do damage with this kind of a weapon, it's unlikely that any bystander would get hurt, or hurt significantly (yes you could hit an eye, but you are gunning for someone specific - so it shouldn't happen and a .25 will not penetrate much more than clothing), and you've still got your equalizer for a short ranged attack.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by kyoung05
While they can be used for recreational purposes, oftentimes, those "recreational purposes" often involve honing one's skills to better make things dead. So what? A gun's purpose is just as important, and just as relevant in today's society as a car, a wrench, or any other tool.
Making people dead is just as important and relevant today as the transportation of people and goods? Making people dead is as important as the production of food (mill)? Making people dead is as important as the sharing of information (interwebz, books, written word, radio)?

Originally Posted by kyoung05
In fact, in many ways, a gun is probably THE most important tool. To think otherwise is not only naive, but dangerous.
I must be super dangerous. I must be more dangerous than a religious extremist with no regard for life an 12 ICBMs with codes. A gun comes in moderately low on my list of important tools.

Knife, duct tape, WD40, watch, rope, hammer, computer mouse, pen (writing instruments) and condom are reasonably more important. Depending on your lifestyle choices the last might not be useful to you. Historically or personally, a gun is more important than all of that?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
My well being and safety rank above everything on your list but food.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
Our country was built on firearms and law abiding citizens owning them. Just because some people believe the invention/use/ownership of firearms is absurd doesn't mean we don't need them.

Either way, how did this go from shots fired at local sj mall to another firearms argument. It was a training exercise, now lets all talk about topics relevant to the OP.

Quick Reply: BREAKING: gun shots at a san jose mall!!!!!!