Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Yin
garden with a talking snake. a naked man and woman and an apple. the immaculate conception.

versus

empirical data
peer reviewed publications

now, i will say that both sides have their zealots and radical ideas, which is what is hindering the junction of faith and exploring the natural world through interpreting empirical data, as i think both are necessary for healthy humanitarianism. that being said, i would be ok with teaching religion in school if it included all religions and how those religions came about. like someone else said, kinda like a history class on religion.
That empirical data does not back secular humanism as fact, only philosophy. If you can find answers to the 4 questions I posted without including God which can withstand logic and reason, post it please
Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by medicSTi
It does matter what people say. What is said is important because it leads to what people may believe and how they will spend eternity be it in the presence of God or in the burning lake.

I am not posting to boost an ego, nor am I posting to fight. I am posting to inform those that have believed a lie for the sake of their salvation. I don't want anyone to have unanswered questions.

I can't save anyone, only Christ can. The Bible says that we are to give answers for our faith. I am telling you why I believe what I read was wrong and posting why I believe the Biblical world view
Lets see...Gandhi, Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Benjamen Franklin, Plato...the examples go on, all did not believe in the "christian" god, heck Jefferson outright hated Christians. So by your skewed reasoning, they will all be in hell... Sounds like all the good, smart people will be in hell, im down for that. (but as we, the educated know, none of that stuff exists)
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jin
thats the thing, science can't answer everything. how about asking those questions 50 years later?

i find the urge to question things more comforting than being told how it is and thats it.

just ask this, in this huge universe, why are humans so special when a grain of sand on earth is comparable to our milky way galaxy in the universe?

sure, lets say that god created everything...but i still wont believe that genesis's way is how god created the universe.
Those are the fundamental questions upon which the logical explanation of secular humanism pivots lol, they form it's foundation... or lack of.

Humans are special because God made us in His image.

Genesis 1

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
The universe was not created for men to sit here and question God, pondering our insignificance which is contrary to God's word. We are significant according to God's word. He cares about every single one of us and longs for us to establish a relationship with Him. The universe was created for the following reasons:

Genesis 1:14

And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
-Steven
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 PM

medicSTi: You are aware that the bible was put together by men, not by god, and that it was edited to fit the times yes? They even went so far as to leave out books by Jesus, and many of the other "biblical" scollars.

2)There is no proof that "Jesus" as in the biblical version, existed at all. The Romans at the time were very very good at keeping records, yet there is NO record of such a person being put to death...Hummm

3)Going forward some, we look in history for any reference to a "John the Baptist" and again, outside of "the bible" we find no records of such a person existing.

4)The first 4 books of "the bible" were directly taken from a Hindu text that predates the bible by almost 2000 years. This book, called the "Upanishads" was the base for all Hindu belief. Now, why were the Jewdao/Christians steeling from the Hindu texts?

Trust me son, I have studied this stuff long and hard, your fighting a battle you can not win. I have enjoyed day long back and forth discussions with many biblical scollars. I don't think one guy on the net is going to say anything I don't have a counter to
Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Yin
i think its great how politicians use god as a therapy session only for their convenience. these guys are really hurting the religion brand and cause. they get to commit adultery, lie to their constituents for personal benefit, run off to Argentina and lie about their whereabouts, then only after they get caught do they proclaim their faith for god in saying things like "god will get me through this and be failthful again". god is not anyone's *****, he's not there for your convenience. faith taken loosely is not faith, it's a safety net. i would be embarrassed if i were of faith and a devout (whatever), no matter what god i worshiped. simply stating you believe does not absolve you of having zero morals or value system.
All man is sinful, even Christians. There is not one that is good enough for God by his works, only through His grace are we good with him.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 PM

1)Humans are special because God made us in His image.

2)longs for us to establish a relationship with Him. The universe was created for the following reasons
1) So, you are saying that in affect, "I" am god. Thank you, I always knew that, you may worship me now.

2)why, why would a god, any god, "long" for some creation he/she/it made, to have a relationship with it? All powerful god, BUT...clingy and self absorbed, yea sounds great.

All man is sinful, even Christians. There is not one that is good enough for God by his works, only through His grace are we good with him.
I am not "sinful" because I do not believe or subscribe to the whole savior on a stick thing...and if I am wrong(I am not) and your 'god' exists, I will proudly tell him to 'F.O.' when I die, for all the crap he heaped on the human race, all the death, destruction, murder, hate, injustice...all "gods" creation.

Last edited by Overbear; 08-18-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Overbear
I feel bad for you, that you are so shallow, so empty inside, so uneducated that you grasp onto a belief in some ghost in the clouds. Rather you should believe in yourself, and your fellow man, to have faith in our species.
Instead of feeling sorry for me and posting about "how" I am, answer the four questions and explain the world without a omnipotent creator, eternal in nature my friend.

Let's keep a respectful conversation without attacking one another please.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
VIP Member

In YOUR limited and bigoted view perhaps. Lucky for us science and reason says quite different.
What science is that? Seriously, post up evidence please.

*Remember science is reproduceable, testable, and measurable.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Yin
take it easy. you guys take yourselves way too seriously. he's only "mocking" because of the original tone. learn to discuss and grow a thicker skin, and you might enjoy your time here.
We should all keep it respectful, then skin thickness won't matter?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
VIP Member

To be fair, do you happen to have scientific proof of the existence of "god". I would like to point out, that without such, its just a theory, subjective to the view of the person looking at said theory.

What my view is, should not "offend" you, as I see it. My take on the whole bible thing is, its a nice story book filled with fiction...thats it. I see no truth in it for me.
What science disproves God? Remember what scientific fact is versus scientific theory/philosophy/etc.

I don't think that you're talking to me, but just wanted you to know that I am not offended.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM

Instead of feeling sorry for me and posting about "how" I am, answer the four questions and explain the world without a omnipotent creator, eternal in nature my friend.

Let's keep a respectful conversation without attacking one another please.
I can sum up everything for you in a mathematical Theory. Called The Hawking-Turok Instanton Theory, I will let you look it up as its quite complex. However the math is very sound, and while still just a theory as we can not prove it yet...we will know soon. Once they fire the LHC, we will know in 1/1000000000th of a second if Mr Hawking is right...and if he is, in that same instant, disprove the possible existence of "god"
Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
What science is that? Seriously, post up evidence please.

*Remember science is reproduceable, testable, and measurable.
check out the link I posted on pg 4 or something, its regarding dover lawsuit. the documentary recreates the trial which contains the facts you want to know regarding evolution vs creationism. its entertaining to watch even for those not interested.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Do you even know what science is? Creationism is not a testable theory.

Regarding your first point, since I could go no further because my soul started to weep the more I read your post: where did the original matter/energy/whatever for GOD come from? Or is he/she/it exempt from the same logic because you want he/she/it to be?

Take note: I ****ing hate religious zealots, and I don't care who I offend in regards to that. If you want to not be offended, then maybe you should grow up and stop believing in a space-daddy fairy tale myth.
Scientific fact is reproduceable, testable, and measurable. Evidence for the Bible's truth and history are known all over the world. We can't test things not of this world, they are a matter of faith. But we can confirm the accuracy of the Bible's account of world history with science and evidence.

God was not created, He is the creator. One day I'd love to ask Him tons of questions, one of which being about His existence.

I've answered your question my friend, now back to my four please. (Or we can keep avoiding the most pertinent and foundational questions with regards to the non-existence of God of which I've posted and had no answers given).

In a world without God, what makes you believe you have a "soul?"

I'm not offended, just answering questions.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
so youve basically justified the right to be a complete asshat, but if you are with god, it's ok. this is not what i imagined god would have wanted.

interesting that you are accusing those of attacks, when your own rhetoric is completely condemning us, who are trying to understand religious fanatics with some semblance of logic and reason. can you try to discuss it without using scripture? as there is no absolute fact in that. not trying to attack, it is what it is: just stories.

but then again, who am i kidding, you yourself said that god has already chosen those to save even before they are born. seems like a cop out if you ask me. i can turn around tomorrow and say "hell yeah, jesus christ i'm christian now" and drop all my moral beliefs and be expected to get a free ticket to heaven. not that i dont "believe", but by your logic, just questioning means a trip to the lake of fire.

please respond with thought and insight, as quoting scripture is as good as me reciting a story my mom told me when i was a kid to win an argument in court.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by Jin
check out the link I posted on pg 4 or something, its regarding dover lawsuit. the documentary recreates the trial which contains the facts you want to know regarding evolution vs creationism. its entertaining to watch even for those not interested.
i really doubt he'll sit through the whole thing.

Quick Reply: Bible to be taught in school, in Texas.