Bay Area GRE prep courses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
Bay Area GRE prep courses?

Hey all –

Anyone have a recommendation or knowledge of a local GRE prep program? After a few hours of research, it looks like Powerscore and Kaplan both have weekend prep programs. Both cost a decent amount, so I figure I’d ask around for some opinions.

Let me know if you have any experience with these local prep programs, or if you used a GRE prep book that was worth you time. Also, I’ve heard of some courses at DeAnza and SJSU…are those still around? Thanks guys!

(I’m hesitant to ask this question here, bc if I get a decent score and get into grad school, it will mean less $$ for my subi…)
Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

anyone with experience taking the GRE???
Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 AM

wow my first time posting without a single reply. tear.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
good question, wish i could help but i've been wondering about the same thing the last few months. i just went to borders and bought a princeton review book to study. i've only opened it a few times, time to get my studying on. good luck man.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by porTURBOer
anyone with experience taking the GRE???

You are in luck sir. I have taken a GRE prep course from Kaplan. I got a decent instructor and as a plus, i was the only one in the class. Although I took the course 5 years ago, i thought it prepared me well for what I faced on the exam. At the time money was no object because I really wanted to get into a masters engineering program at a local uni. I think in all with materials and stuff, it cost me 300-400 dollars.

I took my prep courses at Cal State Hayward (or CSU East Bay now?), got the scores I expected to get and eventually got into the only university I applied to.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Good to know about Kaplan. That one is the most appealing thus far as the reviews online seem decent. Plus they have some local weekend courses that would work great.

Thanks for that!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM

i took the GRE 2 years ago. I just studied by myself using the Barons book and the official practice tests. if the SAT prep courses were any indication of how GRE prep course are like, they are kinda not worth it, unless you need someone to keep you on schedule to study.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:00 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
What major are you? If you're an engineering the analytical portion shouldn't be a problem. I got an 800 and it said I was only 88th percentile. That means I'm like B student. WTF?! 88th percentile and a perfect score? The people who take the GRE must suck at math or something

I don't think there's really a point in GRE prep courses unless you need that "forced study" motivation from an instructor. The GRE isn't much different from the SAT.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM

While I didn't take the Kaplan course for the GRE, I took it for the LSAT, so I'll tell you about my experience for what it's worth. First off, the materials provided in the course are in no way similar to the Kaplan materials they sell at Borders. The "lessons" in the Borders versions of the books are very simplified compared to what you actually get in the class. If you don't need to "learn" methods on how to attack the exam, then maybe you're better off with just a book of sample exams and practicing with them over and over again. However, if you have weaknesses in any of the areas, the Kaplan course is designed to target those weaknesses and help you improve drastically in those areas. I can attest to the fact that it worked for me. The first practice LSAT I took, I scored in the bottom 25th percentile. My actual score was in the 90th percentile. Now, I might have been able to make that increase from just practicing on my own, but, I sure wouldn't want to have bet my graduate career on it.

The only caveat is is that some of Kaplan's methods are unique, at least with respect to the LSAT. For me, some of them were very nonintuitive and seemed to go against what I would naturally do for a given problem. This presented some difficulties - I am very stubborn and changing the way I fundamentally approached certain problems was hard. As a result, I followed some of Kaplan's methods, but not others. Who knows, maybe if I followed ALL their methods, I may have done even better.

While someone said the GRE isn't much harder than the SAT, I only feel this is true for the math portion. The SAT math section and the GRE math sections are very similar. If you're looking to get into an engineering program, they probably don't even care about the verbal section, and maybe taking a course just to marginally improve your math scores won't be worth it. However, when I was considering a graduate program before law school, I looked into the GRE. The verbal section is MUCH more difficult than the verbal section of the SAT. You will need to have a much more extensive vocabulary in order to do well. As an example, take a look at this sample word list.
http://www.graduateshotline.com/list.html
Most of those words would never show up on the SAT. This is where I think the Kaplan course may prove useful. In addition to teaching you ways to learn new words, it would probably help you with the verbal section in general.

As to cost, I am fortunate enough to have parents who paid for my Kaplan course. However, even if they didn't, I would have gladly forked over the $1400 to take it. Think about it, it's a once in a lifetime thing. You want to go to graduate school. Admissions are primarily based on undergrad GPA and GRE scores. It's too late to do anything about your GPA, but, you can improve your GRE score. All it might take is some time and money. If someone asked you whether you'd pay $1400 to get into the grad school of your choice, wouldn't you fork it over in a heartbeat? I would.
________
MERCEDES-BENZ W211 HISTORY

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Car Info: Legs.
Dude, the GRE is cake... just read some books and build up your grammur denn u review the math and denn you'll be in grad school in no time!

If its the LSAT youre considering, I WOULD recommend taking a course

(2nd year UCB Grad student)

*grammar mistakes intentional*
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Car Info: Legs.
Originally Posted by porTURBOer

(I’m hesitant to ask this question here, bc if I get a decent score and get into grad school, it will mean less $$ for my subi…)
Also, kinda near sighted no? I mean your income potential increases significantly when you graduate (assuming you get into a good program) meaning you don't have to worry putting money into your subi.

Delaying gratification will pay dividends.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned limited 06 WRB wagon
GRE's!
So, here is my opinion. If you just get the Kaplan workbooks and study diligently you will be absolutely fine. The workbooks come with CD's that even mimic what the screen looks like on the exam and the exact controls you will use. It is such a great, interactive CD...definitely worth $25 for the book/CD combo in my opinion. If after studying independently you still need help consider a prep course, but I don't think you'll really need it. A lot of the stuff is just review, like making sure you know Pythagorean theorem and whatnot. Figure out which area you need the most help in and attack that first.
Also, look into the programs you're interested in applying to and make sure they require GRE's. I'm currently in a masters program that did not require GRE's. Obviously if you're interested in going right into Ph.D. studies that's another story, and you'll definitely need to take it regardless of where you apply. Don't bother with the subject test unless a school of interest requires it. I'm currently applying to Ph.D. programs and none of them-even Stanford and Berkeley-require the subjects test.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Car Info: EQ tuned limited 06 WRB wagon
Also, a vocab word a day goes a long way

I am such a dork.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 AM

@ verc: I'm definitely not going for an engineering focus, so I'm not very worried there. I don't need the strict course to keep me focused per se, rather hoping it would give me an edge to the exam itself.

@kyoung05: Thanks for your input regarding Kaplan. I've since heard similar stories about their teaching methods. I'm not very stubborn so I might be open to their new methods or unique teaching styles.

I think I'd take it for the review on the math alone. My undergrad is in Journalism, so my strength would hopefully prove itself in the verbal section, however the math area is troublesome. Thankfully, money is not the issue for these courses, just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Originally Posted by iiiezekieliii
Also, kinda near sighted no? I mean your income potential increases significantly when you graduate (assuming you get into a good program) meaning you don't have to worry putting money into your subi.

Delaying gratification will pay dividends.
YES, very near sited; meant it in a joking manner as I'm jumping from a successful career with great pay, benefits, retirement, etc. back into the broke college student lifestyle. I'm glad you pointed that out though because I know some people who feel otherwise.

Originally Posted by Marit
GRE's!
So, here is my opinion. If you just get the Kaplan workbooks and study diligently you will be absolutely fine. The workbooks come with CD's that even mimic what the screen looks like on the exam and the exact controls you will use. It is such a great, interactive CD...definitely worth $25 for the book/CD combo in my opinion. If after studying independently you still need help consider a prep course, but I don't think you'll really need it. A lot of the stuff is just review, like making sure you know Pythagorean theorem and whatnot. Figure out which area you need the most help in and attack that first.
Also, look into the programs you're interested in applying to and make sure they require GRE's. I'm currently in a masters program that did not require GRE's. Obviously if you're interested in going right into Ph.D. studies that's another story, and you'll definitely need to take it regardless of where you apply. Don't bother with the subject test unless a school of interest requires it. I'm currently applying to Ph.D. programs and none of them-even Stanford and Berkeley-require the subjects test.
You bring up a good point. Of the 6 grad programs that I am considering, only 2 actually request GRE scores. The other 4 have this great premise that the GRE (or any subject test) is not a sufficient method of scoring and/or judging the potential of a prospective student in their program.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea because I've always had a hard time with standardized testing. I've been through a fair amount with ACTs/SATs, entrance exams, and the usual college midterm and final exam. Thankfully, my undergrad GPA is well above the minimum for these programs.

I'm trying hard to resist just scratching those with a GRE requirement off my list for the sake of avoiding that PITA process/exam, but I'm also trying to be realistic. Thank you all for your input - any more is welcome!