Bad accident.... seeking advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Bad accident.... seeking advice.

So I was driving on a backstreet. I was making a left turn when a I saw a kid walking through the middle of the road. I hit the brakes, and was sliding. I ended up putting the car in someones front yard on top of a big rock (balancing there).
Two tow trucks had to come, one flatbed and one with a crane thing to lift the front end up. They pick up the front, and pulled it backwards onto the flatbed. To lift the front, they connected the crane to the 2 front wheels. The front wheel well areas are totally toast from them doing this to lift it up. I will eventually get pics up, but I think I need new panels (unless someone really talented can re-shape them, but they still wouldnt look the same I bet).

A whole bunch on the bottom is torn up. Any ideas as to what would have been hit? (it was on the right side mainly and the rock got about halfway back)
My wheels are toast, and my front axel is too (front right wheel was hitting the back of the wheel well). I think the suspension might be messed up, and do you think that the engine was pushed back also? The rock that I ended up being on top of was about 3 feet tall, 3 feet wide.

Theres a ton of damage, know any good shops that I could bring it to? (near Mountain View/Los Altos)
What should I do about the front wheel wells?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
The wheel well liners- the black plastic stuff inside the fenders are pretty much disposable pieces of crap, that is probably the least of your worries.

The fenders will probably need replacing, there is hardly enough metal in them in the first place to make them worth trying to hammer out and repair- so count on that- and getting them painted.

As for the rest of it, a lot depends on what impacted the rock, that side has the exhaust which is relatively easy to fix, but the subframe and suspension mounting stuff will be a bit more involved if they got moved or damaged.

Glad to hear you kept it to material damage though, you're a lot better off than if you'd hit the kid- always better if you get away without hurting yourself or someone else in an accident.

Last edited by psoper; 01-31-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:51 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
I'm betting you had a stock exhaust. When people hear me comin' they get the fu*k out da way.

Sorry for the lack of advise or consolation, I don't have any to offer tonite

Hope it all gets worked out...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I had the stock exhaust, but a Helix catback in my trunk waiting to be installed. Also had new brake pads, rotors, and lines. Too bad I couldn't have them installed earlier... might have a different outcome if I had.

Anyways, the cops were saying that they are estimating that I was going atleast 50 or 55 to be able to do that. I know for a fact that I wasn't. They haven't done exact calculations yet, but are going to. What if their calculations are wrong? What can I do? I know that I was going about 30mph, 35 at max.

They said I was going 29 when I hit the curb, and wrote me a ticket for wreckless speed (29 in a 25). I'm not sure what's gonna happen from here on out.

I have 2 points now.... anyone know how long it takes for them to go away? I'm going to do traffic school to get rid of one of them, but how long will the other stick with me?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by psoper
The wheel well liners- the black plastic stuff inside the fenders are pretty much disposable pieces of crap, that is probably the least of your worries.

The fenders will probably need replacing, there is hardly enough metal in them in the first place to make them worth trying to hammer out and repair- so count on that- and getting them painted.

As for the rest of it, a lot depends on what impacted the rock, that side has the exhaust which is relatively easy to fix, but the subframe and suspension mounting stuff will be a bit more involved if they got moved or damaged.

Glad to hear you kept it to material damage though, you're a lot better off than if you'd hit the kid- always better if you get away without hurting yourself or someone else in an accident.
Yeah, I know the liners are nothing, but I'm talking about the actual fenders.

Again, any shops recommended? If not, I'm gonna have to use a AAA repair shop near the lot the car is at and another also very close.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally Posted by crashnscar
I have 2 points now.... anyone know how long it takes for them to go away? I'm going to do traffic school to get rid of one of them, but how long will the other stick with me?

well, not sure for you ...but my 1 point will be there for like 7 years I heard...but insurance looks back 3. My ticket was for "racing" (along time ago...when I first got the car...3 yrs ago)

I dont know how they questimate right away...but sounds fishy to me...did they nail that kid for J walking??? lol

Gald to hear your ok and I guess that kid too....

hope this helps answer your question.

-freddie
Old 01-31-2005, 10:08 PM

The kid took off.

I think the speeding (29 in 25 on the ticket) is 3 years and reckless driving is 7 years. I doubt I can take the reckless driving off of my record by doing the school thing, but anyone know for sure if I can instead of the speeding?

Some sad pics.... (sorry, no better pics of the bottom)
Attached Thumbnails Bad accident.... seeking advice.-img_0746-medium-.jpg   Bad accident.... seeking advice.-img_0756-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by crashnscar; 01-31-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
wow... sorry about your misfortune..
Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
wow, and you missed the little birdhouse/mailbox, good aim!

You might want to chat with somebody who really knows the law, if you have 2 pts already you sure don't want the word reckless being attached to your record (especially again- if its there once already) 'cause that's another 2 and pretty much an automatic suspension.

If its only 29 in a 25, that should be a walk in the park though, small fine and traffic school at the worst -no prob.

A judge might even be more lenient if the "avoiding the j-walking pedestrian" story holds up.

Last edited by psoper; 01-31-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
fight the ticket
fight the ticket
FIGHT THE TICKET

www.ticketassassin.com

remember that this country is founded on your right to a trial and if you disagree with what the officer's trying to put you through then by all means fscking contest it.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html

60mph stopping distance is like 128ft on a wrx right?
30mph should probably be something like 30ft if a regular car can do it in 37ft, according to that site. however, you have to factor in reaction time as well.

how/why were you skidding though making a turn at 30mph? that's something you'll need to explain.

i think you have a case.

but sorry man, to hear about all this. good thing you didn't hit the kid, and also that you're alright. and the car doesn't look bad from the outside but you're looking at severe damage to the front suspension and as you mentioned axles, fenders, etc. the differential and other good stuff in there might also be messed up from being dragged on rocks and jumping a curb at however many mph, but i doubt it will be THAT severe or expensive especially considering the wheels aren't bent and that's a good sign b/c you have 17s or 18s... make sure you take it to a reputable shop to get everything fixed anew.

Last edited by resident smurf; 01-31-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:26 AM

So, what happened exactly, did you start to make a left turn, see the kid, then brake and jerk to the right? You didn't spin or lose traction that much, did you? Did you lock up the wheels at all (braking)?

From looking at that physics link, how does one arrive at 37ft? He was going 29 when he hit the curb, as calculated from the skidmarks, I'm guessing. The 'estimated' speed he was going originally (50-55) would be the speed to use in that calculation. I still don't understand how they figure how much energy was lost (work done) when you jumped the curb and started rock climbing I guess factoring that in would only increase the calculated speed. If you have worn tires, that would be to your advantage in this instance, as it would reduce the effective coefficient of friction, and increase the assumed stopping distance (making your accident more understandable). Also, was the road dry? I'm sure the reconstructor took a note of this and factored it into thier calculation for your speed. However, these things could also work against you, when they ask you why you were driving dangerously on worn tires or wet pavement.

BTW, that I've used that physics site for reference for some time now (I'm an applied physics major). It has very easy to understand explainations.

Sorry to say, but fighting the ticket might not be your best option here. It looks to me as if you were driving recklessly. In fact, I made a turn in the dark tonight on some backstreets, and was surprised by some idiot on a bike with no reflectors. However, I was able to react in time and slow down... If I had been trying to maximize my lateral G's (), I think it may have been a little more ugly, for the fool on the bike, or my car, as in your case. I'm not saying you were racing, I'm just pointing out you should have been able to react in time without putting your car in such an unflattering position, given you were traveling the speed limit. So, in this case, it may be better to admit your mistake and say you've learned a lesson, rather than remain defiant and say it was the kid's fault. You've got to think like an old crotchety judge on this one, sorry.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 1988 Carrera & 2013 Carrera S
Go to court and fight it. Happened to a good friend of mine, fought it and won because their math pretty much sucks. Infact they cannot correctly calculate your speed, and most of the time they're not even close. They don't have your tire's coefficient of friction, don't incorporate vehicle weight or even ABS.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but this info is from my friend's case.

Oleg
Old 02-01-2005, 01:00 AM

IMO, if you fight this ticket, you might not win.

Unless u have a few witnesses to say that you are driving at a safe speed.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Calsoldier
Go to court and fight it. Happened to a good friend of mine, fought it and won because their math pretty much sucks. Infact they cannot correctly calculate your speed, and most of the time they're not even close. They don't have your tire's coefficient of friction, don't incorporate vehicle weight or even ABS.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but this info is from my friend's case.

Oleg

Look at the pic. Then ask yourself, could I get my car in that position without driving recklessly?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:22 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
fight that ticket!

Sorry to hear about your accident, that really sucks.

Quick Reply: Bad accident.... seeking advice.