Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by McLovinMyWRX
I know this is somewhat unrelated, but I recently had a great experience with Kevin over at Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City. My car was throwing up a CEL and was leaking oil from the driver's side and is still under the 3 year/36k warranty. Were able to diagnose and fix the problem before noon on the day it was worked on and even paid for my rental car. One of the repairs questionably outside of the warranty, but Kevin said he would take care of me and complete all of the repairs under the warranty. Very nice and friendly over there at Carlsen... would definitely bring it back if I need to get any other warranty work done there!
yes. the key there is it's under warranty...

update -- my CEL this morning suddenly dissappeared. On my way to work, my car stalled when coming to a red light.

Am I running lean or rich maybe?

Is this supposed to happen? I'm not used to seeing them just go away. Should I be worried about anything?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
CEL's will go away if the condition that turned it on stops for a certain amount of time. Not sure why your car stalled.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
yes. the key there is it's under warranty...

update -- my CEL this morning suddenly dissappeared. On my way to work, my car stalled when coming to a red light.

Am I running lean or rich maybe?

Is this supposed to happen? I'm not used to seeing them just go away. Should I be worried about anything?
The stalling is definitely weird. My suggestion is to take it to where you got it tuned if it continues to happen. They can check your trims and make sure you dont have any issues. Atleast thats what I would do.

Also what exactly did Capitol end up doing on your car? Make sure they didnt flash the PCM with an upgraded stock rom and you're running all the extra mods causing yourself issues.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Wait..... you drive 2 hours for an oil change? WTF are you thinking? Do it yourself. Cost you more in gas than you'd pay to do the whole thing yourself. Takes 20 minutes.

Sorry but that's insane. I'm all about supporting my vendors but... damn.
LOL! yea thats just retarded... if you can't do an oil change you should probably just start riding bicycles around town... but if you can't do an oil change maybe u can't even maintain a bicycle lol j/k If you want me to do your oil changes I'll let you pay me half the cost of your gas and time to drive to LIC
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
well... as I stated, these aren't 'local' to me. Every single one of these is a pretty deep trek, especially if I have to convince a friend to come with and give me a ride home and then back to pick up... =)

Do all these shops have the appopriate smoker and what would average cost be there for full diagnosis and fix?

I really just don't have all the time, but I agree I should never go to any stealership for anything.

My idea was to just get the diagnosis, and have someone else do the actual fix... or just do it myself depending on what was found.

At this point, I just want the problem identified and fixed in a reasonable amount of time, for a reasonable cost, from someone I can trust. I almost literally do not trust anyone anymore.
Ok I'm going to throw a dog a bone. Here is a local shop that I recommended earlier to you that you can take it to. At the very least call them up and have a chat w/ them to see if they can help you out... the worse case scenario is they can't help you only b/c they may not have ALL the equipment you might think will resolve your problem and all you wasted was a phone call. If you want I can tell Aaron to expect a call or just tell them David from Google Sent you.

garage 1 auto

I find it kind of funny that you almost literally don't trust anyone anymore but then you are on the forums taking advice from complete strangers who may or may not have any expertise in subarus or cars in general =) I have enough faith in Garage 1 Auto that if it will help ease your mind I will clear my schedule and take time to go w/ you to the shop and see how they can help you out.

Last edited by david240z; 10-14-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added explanation
Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
The stalling is definitely weird. My suggestion is to take it to where you got it tuned if it continues to happen. They can check your trims and make sure you dont have any issues. Atleast thats what I would do.

Also what exactly did Capitol end up doing on your car? Make sure they didnt flash the PCM with an upgraded stock rom and you're running all the extra mods causing yourself issues.
I haven't taken it anywhere yet... too busy at work this week.

I'll call Mike @ GST.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by david240z
LOL! yea thats just retarded... if you can't do an oil change you should probably just start riding bicycles around town... but if you can't do an oil change maybe u can't even maintain a bicycle lol j/k If you want me to do your oil changes I'll let you pay me half the cost of your gas and time to drive to LIC
Maintaining a bicycle properly is much harder than doing an oil change. LOL.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 AM

lol yea fair enough... maybe stick w/ just walking around as the only means of transportation... then again u would need to tie your own shoe laces
Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Yea...but some of us would still rather pay for it and not deal with the hassle, the place to dump/store dirty oil, etc...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Clearing the codes isn't going to cause any issues. If the issue is still there they'll just come back. Clearing codes shouldn't effect smog.

Some smog shops won't pass you if you have a CEL showing so you're better off clearing them.
No. Clearing the codes on an accessport just simply brushes them away untill the fault in your engine is detected again and it throws the CEL. Clearing them or "disabling them in the race software that i previously talked about will block them from ever comming on again for that one specific code, forever or untill you decide to re-enable it in the case you were to sell your car or something.

Clearing the codes WILL make you more than likely fail smog since your doing nothing to solve the problem, all your doing in choosing not to be prompted when the CEL is thrown.

I gaurentee your problem lies in either a bad o2 sensor, or its your downpipe. Either-way, if you disable the codes with cobb's race tuner software this issue will be solved, and when its time to smog your car, you need to swap back to the stock downpipe. problem solved.

goodluck
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
how does a bad 02 throw evap codes? im confused..
Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
how does a bad 02 throw evap codes? im confused..
the o2 sensor is whats sensing the evap issue
Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Again, I appreciate everyone's advice. I guess it's not that I simply don't trust anyone anymore, I'm just wayyy more skeptical now. It is easier to take advice though, from you guys cause I trust a lot of you guys and you're not related to $ making off this discussion.

The stall this morning kinda has me worried, just took it out of 2nd and was coasting to a stop light, and maybe 15ft from full stop, motor died... seemed like it idled kinda funny too.

I'm going to take my car to GST if they can squeeze me in. I'm also going Saturday morning to discuss with a Capitol tech, where one of my friends works (I just found out... and haven't seen the guy in probably 6 years)

P0456 and P0442 (evap emissions control system leak) can be o2 sensor related? My DP has been on for almost 1year (perrin catted) and these cel's have only been showing up for the past 2-3months, I've normally just cleared them, but they always show back up (either one).
Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Volkey
the o2 sensor is whats sensing the evap issue
I'll add that to my list of various things to check...

thanks again.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by david240z
Ok I'm going to throw a dog a bone. Here is a local shop that I recommended earlier to you that you can take it to. At the very least call them up and have a chat w/ them to see if they can help you out... the worse case scenario is they can't help you only b/c they may not have ALL the equipment you might think will resolve your problem and all you wasted was a phone call. If you want I can tell Aaron to expect a call or just tell them David from Google Sent you.

garage 1 auto

I find it kind of funny that you almost literally don't trust anyone anymore but then you are on the forums taking advice from complete strangers who may or may not have any expertise in subarus or cars in general =) I have enough faith in Garage 1 Auto that if it will help ease your mind I will clear my schedule and take time to go w/ you to the shop and see how they can help you out.
I have sort of a bad story about this shop... don't want to get into it here, but you can PM me if you want to know what happened. hahaha

Quick Reply: Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...